The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / LSF News /

COMMENTING

Page  Page 5 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»
mati
Female Member

Germany
#41 | Posted: 3 May 2011 20:00
Drummer09:
i dont want to add lots of 'good story' comments as it feels a little redundant but neither do i want to go into detail about what it was i liked about a particular story because i find that a difficult to express even in an anonymous environment like this

That's exactly how I feel most time about commenting. But Rick Marlowe has the solution for people like us. Just copy the six sentences he provided on the first page of this thread and use them randomly:

njrick:
but how hard is that really, to say something like "I loved the character Darla," "Great use of humor," "This one felt so real," "Over the top, but fascinating," "I think Sebastian said it all," or "Truly one of your best."

Its not always "nice story" but means nothing else than "nice story".

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#42 | Posted: 4 May 2011 00:23
mati:
Just copy the six sentences he provided on the first page of this thread and use them randomly:

njrick:
but how hard is that really, to say something like "I loved the character Darla,"

Helpful hint: If you use this one, there should be a character named 'Darla' in the story. Otherwise, just substitute one of the names that were in the story.

TheEnglishMaster
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#43 | Posted: 4 May 2011 21:15
twisted8:
For you writers who grouse about this take a look at the improvement over the last year. Would it be asking too much to acknowledge that you have people reading your work with out demanding that they fawn all over you as well?

And I can't help thinking that all the insecure Brats have come to the right place to have their attitude adjusted.

Love you T8!!
It's very true that the commenting rate has improved amazingly since a year ago. But we insecure Brat fawnee writers can never get enough!! Like the ultimate spanking, we seek the ultimate comment, such as, "Eat your heart out, Shakespeare!" ... or ...
"Tolstoy's got nothing on you!" ... or ...
"Marcel who?" ... or ...
"I thought Melville died already?"

twisted8
Male Member

USA
#44 | Posted: 5 May 2011 10:06
TheEnglishMaster:
It's very true that the commenting rate has improved amazingly since a year ago. But we insecure Brat fawnee writers can never get enough!! Like the ultimate spanking, we seek the ultimate comment, such as, "Eat your heart out, Shakespeare!" ... or ...
"Tolstoy's got nothing on you!" ... or ...
"Marcel who?" ... or ...
"I thought Melville died already?"

Well TEM maybe I had a little too much writers angst that day. Maybe. However. While trying to think up a witty come back the phrase 'shameless hussy' came to mind. Major Grin!
Oh yea. I love you too!

saetana
Female Member

England
#45 | Posted: 18 May 2011 02:19
I comment on over half of the stories I read (estimated, might be more but I don't THINK its less, then again I could read more than I realise, LOL), there are good reasons why I don't comment on the others:

1. I'm reading a ton of stories by that author (you know who you are, LOL!) and I'm not repeating inane comments for the ones which were just average as opposed to good or great. If I find myself descending into inanity then I have to stop making so many comments, inanity is something to be avoided at all costs

2. I detest parental spanking or anything involving children (there have been very rare exceptions to this), I also dislike F/m and M/m, purely because they do nothing for me as a submissive woman, sometimes I might start reading a story and then find out partway through that its of a type I dislike, I don't like to make detrimental comments purely on the grounds of taste too often, although I can't help myself with the kiddie/parental stuff occasionally (its why I avoid it).

4. I dislike stories where I think lack of consent is an issue (it isn't always, depends on the story) and where "punishments" are ridiculously severe and/or actually abusive, again I don't like to make too many adverse comments on stories of this type, I'm more likely to do it with an author where I like the majority of their work than someone I've never read before.

5. The story was just, meh, for want of a better word (yeah its late and I'm tired), not dreadful but by no means good, I can't see that I have anything that useful to say in this situation, I'm not an author (well, the occasional poem maybe...) and wouldn't presume to give writing advice to someone who is.

So, there you have it, as for the ratings system idea, I'm torn on that, this isn't site that appears to attract trolls but I do think it might result in less actual comments, I think it would need to be an extensive ratings system on different aspects of the story (rather than just a mark out of 5 for the whole story) to be of any practical use to the authors

rollin
Male Member

USA
#46 | Posted: 18 May 2011 17:23
Saetana, that's a well thought out explanation and,l it seems to me, very reasonable. Taste counts for a lot and some stories are written to a particular niche market. If you're not interested in that type of story, of course you'd avoid it, or stop reading, and not comment. No one would blame you for that. I tend to scan a lot of stories but I only comment on the ones that catch my interest. I stop reading many after just a paragraph or two because I pick up on something I don't like and the story therefore holds no further interest. I suspect many of us do this.

SNM
Male Author

USA
#47 | Posted: 18 May 2011 19:03
I'll third that. If I read something that turns out to not be to my taste, I won't really feel qualified to make a helpful comment.

I also don't comment on stories that are just so badly written that I don't even know where to start with the feedback.

Redskinluver
Male Author

USA
#48 | Posted: 19 May 2011 14:06
Comments are good, whether effusive praise, or pointing out flaws. That said, I mainly comment on stories that I find interesting and enjoyable. If it does not appeal to me, or if I don't finish reading it, then I don;t comment as a rule. If you can't say something nice, etc...
However,one can not like a character in a story even if one likes the story. Expressing that distaste should in no way reflect on the author,IMHO.
And yes, it feels good to see comments, whether praise or criticism, anything but indifference. However, number of readers may not tell the whole story. I know I re-read favorite stories here,and even my own, but do not comment each time.
I have had mixed success , in terms of comments, from other sites I have written on. One site I posted a number of stories on(which appear here) drew some nice comments but has become more or less inactive.
I am new here as an author,all my stories apeared elsewhere. Right now the score is 40 stories, 41 comments. However, some have several, and others have none. All show hits. However, beinng new here, I realize it might be awhile before those who leave comments get around to reading all of them.
I realize some don't care to comment. It took awhile before I too would register at sites in order to leave comments. I know some don't like "lurkers" but I cannot criticize someone for merely being shy. At any rate, a lurker one a site is a lot less offensive thanb someone who signs up merely so they can be a troll.

Hotspur
Male Author

South_Africa
#49 | Posted: 19 May 2011 14:39
@Redskinluver

Do you think General Custer would have approved of that name?

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#50 | Posted: 20 May 2011 05:49
As the starter of the particular forum and to play devil's advocate for a moment, I read a lot of excuses of why one should not comment, IE: don't like the genre, not in my tastes, only read stories in full that interest me because rest of them turn me off, and it goes on and on.

I never expected everyone to comment and for those of you who do comment and chose to put all sorts of excuses on here so others who do not comment can justify their lack of actions, I have only two words, "quit it". i know there are two or more sides to every thing on this forum but to give non-commenters justifications for not commenting was not the purpose to this particular issue.

There are readers who will never comment and that is the way it is, so be it, but please lets encourage ones to comment not give any further reasons in why they should not do so. As I read the last parts of this forum it sends me to thinking why do I bother commenting, there are so many good reasons to justify not to.

Page  Page 5 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»

Online now: Members - 4 : Guests - 7
ch1ckory, gerard, RobinS, steve77
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9