LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / LSF News /

COMMENTING

Page  Page 2 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»
Sarah89
Female Author

USA
#11 | Posted: 29 Apr 2011 18:14
A story may have 100 hits, but that doesn't necessarily mean 100 different people have read it. There are plenty of times when I click on a story, read half or so, realize it's not my thing, and move on to something else. I also go back and re-read stories I like and have already commented on, which I assume counts as another view even though I've clicked on it before.

Even though we may only see ten or so comments for every 1000 reads, I doubt the "reading and running" problem is as bad as it seems. Actually the commenting seems to have improved a lot over the last few months.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#12 | Posted: 29 Apr 2011 21:00
Sarah89:
I doubt the "reading and running" problem is as bad as it seems

Sorry Sarah but I strongly disagree. If one has a story with say 200 views and 2 comments i tend to think there are a lot of readers not commenting. Re-reads and reviews of stories may take up to 25% of the total views but out of the 200 in my example that still leaves 150 readers not commenting, and that is not a good stat no matter how one looks at it.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#13 | Posted: 30 Apr 2011 00:31
canadianspankee:
If one has a story with say 200 views and 2 comments i tend to think there are a lot of readers not commenting. Re-reads and reviews of stories may take up to. 25% of the total views but out of the 200 in my example that still leaves 150 readers not commenting, and that is not a good stat no matter how one looks at it.

Without a doubt. One of the things Sarah was saying, though, that some of the reads are only partial reads. The reader gets partway into the story, figures out it's not something he/she likes, and stops. That probably happens a LOT when readers are choosing unvalidated stories off the 'latest' list. There certainly are re-reads, and half-reads followed by reads to finish up. My guess is though - lower than yours - is that close to half f all views represent separate complete read-throughs of the stories. That means that, even if there are comments equaling 10% of the number of views (a high number), only one fifth of the readers have commented. I even had one story that received 25% as many comments as views, but even then, I imagine that half or more of the readers didn't comment. Some people just wont; ever comment more than a minimum, and others will comment only in some cases.

I don't think we'll ever know why. Even the people who post here on the forum about their reticence about commenting comment far more than the non-commenters. So we have no idea what they're thinking. But who really cares when there is such a good group of people who DO comment and otherwise interact?

Guy
Male Author

USA
#14 | Posted: 30 Apr 2011 02:25
njrick:
I don't think we'll ever know why.

I think we can make some pretty shrewd guesses.

First of all, most of our readers are just that...readers. Composing a public comment might be an unnatural act for them. For example: I can stand up to speak in front of a group, while others would take a bare bottom spanking first. (OK, bad example )

Second, I we tend to underestimate how far back in the dark corners of the closet many of our members prefer to remain. Just registering for access to the library might have felt risky to them. They may be appreciative, but they prefer life in the anonymous shadows so they don't comment.

I could probably come up with a few more good reasons, but you could too.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#15 | Posted: 30 Apr 2011 02:28
Guy:
I could probably come up with a few more good reasons, but you could too.

Ahhh... we can imagine reasons, we can invent reasons, many of them - and all very plausible ones at that. But do we KNOW...

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#16 | Posted: 30 Apr 2011 05:23
If I read a story partially for whatever reason I probably won't comment unless I go back into said story and read it all the way through. I can never understand people who go onto Amazon and leave a review for a book, then say, I gave up halfway through. How can you properly review or comment on anything when you didn't even accord the author the respect of reading the thing thoroughly? It's possible that there was a twist on the final page or final line that could totally turn the story on it's head and alter your opinion.

jools
Female Author

New_Zealand
#17 | Posted: 30 Apr 2011 08:12
I agree with what tfs said earlier. I too started off as a reader who felt that I didn't have anything valid to say and kind of felt rather reserved about voicing my opinion. It was most definitely an evolutionary process for me. I read and made favourites but didn't start commenting till I reached the limited membership stage ...then I felt 'encouraged' to comment which made me wrack my brains for something valid to say!. Then once I'd submitted my first story myself and received comments..it made me realise how much they are appreciated by authors. Now I comment on almost everything I read and have made it into the top commenters list ...so if I can do it I'm sure there's hope for others hehe. This library is an awesome friendly place when you get actively involved!

flowerchild
Female Author

USA
#18 | Posted: 30 Apr 2011 21:58
I have an idea. Februs can work another miracle and put in a check the box thingy 1 point for I hate it to 5 points for I love it, and then you can leave an anonomous check if you absolutely cant think of some thing better to say.

As for me, I seriously try to comment on most of what I read. Its a give and take that most of us who participate on a regular basis appreciate. I also try and comment back to those who commented. Its not just polite, its giving people the chance to interact with each other.

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#19 | Posted: 1 May 2011 01:11
What flowerchild said. I've actually made a couple of friends here by interacting with them via the comments.

mati
Female Member

Germany
#20 | Posted: 1 May 2011 07:12
flowerchild:
put in a check the box thingy 1 point for I hate it to 5 points for I love it, and then you can leave an anonymous check if you absolutely cant think of some thing better to say

I made the suggestion of a "Like-Button" already in the last thread about meager commenting. It did not seem to be the sort of comments most authors wants. And if somebody feels a need to express his dislike he should really leave a comment and not just click on a button. Otherwise it can be very demoralising and encourage trolls.

Page  Page 2 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»

Online now: Members - 10 : Guests - 5
Balor, dund93, emaildaniel4, kanestrokes, Kia, MarkyMarks, pwb1812, razzy234, SmokingJoe, stevenr
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9