LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / LSF News /

COMMENTING

Page  Page 3 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»
canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#21 | Posted: 1 May 2011 19:09
I think such a ratings system or a like button would discourage comments rather then improving things. People would tend just to use the number or like button rather then commenting. Good thinking on everyone's part but I do not think it would work good.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#22 | Posted: 1 May 2011 19:16
canadianspankee:
I think such a ratings system or a like button would discourage comments rather then improving things. People would tend just to use the number or like button rather then commenting.

Exactly. We already have 'like' button (called 'favorites', though some people use it merely as a bookmark, which is fine). We don't need any discouragement from a 'dislike' button, and as cs said, we want to encourage real feedback and feedback, not just button-pushing. There are people who use the 'favorite' button without commenting, and vice versa, which is fine, because it allows different types of feedback, either because of different situations or readers' comfort zone.

rollin
Male Member

USA
#23 | Posted: 2 May 2011 19:06
I have to agree with Rick on this. Numbers and stats aside, the best thing is the interactivity, the give and take between authors and readers, authors and other authors, so an Amazon-style rating or review function would mean little without the "why" that went into it. The "why" is what we authors really want to know. What did you like about the story? What caught your interest? The plot? The characters?
Now I know relatively few people comment. The ratio of reads--which may only be a quick scan--to comments for authors runs between 1-3%, roughly. That's not much. So I'd encourage people to just tell the author what they liked. It doesn't have to be erudite, but we do like the feedback. I've abandoned all other sites because on this one there is much more interactivity and that's what keeps me writing.

pierced8x
Female Member

USA
#24 | Posted: 2 May 2011 19:14
Now that I think about it, I guess I've been pretty selfish when it comes to spanking stories. I'm pretty new to the ...lifestyle? (One day spanking just sounded interesting and I've been hooked ever since. That was about a month ago.) I've been reading, watching videos and researching like a crazed woman. I'm still trying to figure out what I like about it and reading stories here is helping me on my quest of self-discovery. "The more you read, the more you know." So sayeth Dr. Seuss.

As a commenter, I want to leave meaningful feedback. I want the author to KNOW, beyond a doubt, that I have thoroughly read and enjoyed their story. I feel like I spend as much time developing my comment as I did reading the story sometimes. Investigating WHY I liked a story can be very enlightening and I want to share that with the author. But, being the "crazed woman" that I am, sometimes it's been easier just to keep reading than to stop to write a meaningful comment.

I also liken myself a bit of an English snob (snob about English ... not a jerk with an accent). So if a story is well-written, I want to voice my appreciation. I used to think I was better in English than in math... until I tried to teach someone English: "But WHY does the comma go there?" UGH. Writing a 'good story' takes some freakin' talent. That effort should not be easily dismissed. Short stories, especially, can be difficult. Your audience has minimal time to get to know your characters which can make all the difference.

My apologies for not commenting on every story I've read.
I will endeavour to suck less.

Keep the stories coming!
Happy spanking, y'all.

twisted8
Male Member

USA
#25 | Posted: 2 May 2011 20:23
Persuasion not coercion! Set a good example.

Many who read here are not able to comment for a variety of reasons. We should all respect that and it's not for us to judge.

As a regular personality on the site I feel strongly that it's about the fiction itself. Not ego or vanity or statistics.

I very respectfully say to many regulars here that you do not know how hard it was to find this kind of erotica only a few short years ago. Now we have the LSF with over fourteen thousand pieces. Incredible! It ain't broke so let's not try to fix it.

For you writers who grouse about this take a look at the improvement over the last year. Would it be asking too much to acknowledge that you have people reading your work with out demanding that they fawn all over you as well?

And I can't help thinking that all the insecure Brats have come to the right place to have their attitude adjusted. Why blimp & rick have standing appointments with our Ms. Thrashbottom and I'm sure she has time for more blue named clients!

Consider. You are a published writer. Bask; don't bitch! And if at all possible.....................GRIN!

billboard
Male Author

USA
#26 | Posted: 2 May 2011 22:19
I love the way comments are done here. I like the format and I like the content, in that some of the criticisms are very valuable and accurate and meaningful - once I dry my tears. I've had several comments here that (I believe) have greatly improved my stories because I took them to heart.

I love the venue of this library. I posted earlier versions of most of my stories on spankingmemories/SIN 8 or 9 years ago and I loved the sense of community that existed there, at least for a while. Many of you were there and you remember it.

But we had a great many more flamers and trolls and drive-bys at SIN than we have here. The Library is more refined, more orderly, more civilized. We have grownups around to "shush" us if we start getting too loud and affecting the enjoyment of other readers.

There's far less traffic here. On SIN, if one of my stories got less than 1,000 hits, that made it a "dud" in my mind. But if that was a small auditorium, this Library is a coffee shop, with a much more sophisticated and knowledgable audience. I love being here and look forward to getting all of my old backlog posted, plus anything new that made my fingers itch for the keyboard. Another month or two and I will post the two story lines I really came here to post and I will fade to the background - and read at one of the quiet tables in the back, with Saradora and Sarah Thorne and OTKgirl and my other old friends. But no matter how "active" here I am, I love this place and wouldn't change a thing.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#27 | Posted: 3 May 2011 01:22
pierced8x:
I also liken myself a bit of an English snob (snob about English ... not a jerk with an accent).

Hurray for the English snobs! (I was just telling someone here that I'm a writing snob, and the two are undoubtedly related)

pierced8x:
My apologies for not commenting on every story I've read.
I will endeavour to suck less.

No need to comment on EVERY story. I sure don't! But endeavoring to comment more is a good thing. And, quite frankly, sucking isn't always a bad thing

rollin:
It doesn't have to be erudite,

I dunno... I kinda like erudite. At least make erudite-y an OPTION.

twisted8:
As a regular personality on the site

I always considered you more...well... IRregular. But frequent!

twisted8:
Would it be asking too much to acknowledge that you have people reading your work with out demanding that they fawn all over you as well?

[sigh] well, if you must put it THAT way...

Sarah89
Female Author

USA
#28 | Posted: 3 May 2011 02:18
twisted8:
For you writers who grouse about this take a look at the improvement over the last year. Would it be asking too much to acknowledge that you have people reading your work with out demanding that they fawn all over you as well?

And I can't help thinking that all the insecure Brats have come to the right place to have their attitude adjusted. Why blimp & rick have standing appointments with our Ms. Thrashbottom and I'm
sure she has time for more blue named clients!

I'm not sure whether you've posted stories on here or not (your forum name says you're a member, but so does mine even though I have stories in the library), but if you don't have experience with writing and posting your fiction, you might not realize how much comments can mean to an author. It's definitely more than just a nice ego trip. I agree that people can be insecure, which is why comments are important. Many authors are nervous the first time they post, and comments go a long way in helping and encouraging them. I know it did for me when I posted my first stories.

Also, when I leave feedback for someone I often get a really nice, appreciative response from the author. It's clear to me that many authors here really care about what readers have to say and aren't demanding or taking comments for granted.

Sebastian
Male Member

USA
#29 | Posted: 3 May 2011 02:39
Just leave things on comments, the way they are without adding buttons and other things. There are readers who might be afraid to comment, since they might be embarrassed as to their own comments. To all of you writers, don't worry about it. A great, great majority of the stories are very good. A very few are poor.. Even these authors will improve, as they build up their confidence. Sometimes, I might not like the theme or subject matter, but the writing style might be good.

jools
Female Author

New_Zealand
#30 | Posted: 3 May 2011 02:51
Sarah89 I totally agree with you. Comments are important to authors to provide indication of what readers like most about their stories and they help new authors grow and develop their skills...not to mention that nice warm glowing feeling we authors get from a kind and appreciative comment!

I too always acknowledge readers who have taken the trouble to comment on my stories via pop up and have made some lovely friends this way too.

IMHO a point rating system of 1-5 would suck! Mainly because it doesn't really indicate to the author what is most appreciated about the story, and if the story receives a low score it doesn't offer well-meaning constructive tips for improvement. A low score would also likely discourage the author from submitting more stories, and thereby developing their skills through experience. There is also the likelihood that a numerical rating system would direct many readers away from leaving comments to instead opt for the simplest and fastest option of ticking a box.

Page  Page 3 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»

Online now: Members - 6 : Guests - 6
Alef, Balor, druidicone, rabbitrun, Smachtai, WilliamAllen
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9