Page  Page 3 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»
Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#21 | Posted: 5 Aug 2010 05:42
archaic curiousities?

I think not.

The English language is broad and deep. Too many people stay in the shallow end of generalities when there are oceans of precise words that can be used. Finding the right word - it can be an artform, but most people nod when you do.

Goodgulf

blimp
Male Author

England
#22 | Posted: 5 Aug 2010 10:40
They might be precise terms but they are probably redundant terms unless you are a medical man (thankyou barrethunter). Prove me wrong and use them in your next story, Goodgulf! I am not doubting they can be used just doubting they can be used without jarring the readers poetic sensibilities. The broadness and deepness of the English language is something we are all grateful for. I am grateful too that such terms as spheropygian exist even if I shall never use them in another sentence after this one.

Recently I heard a rather well to do lady say, whilst shopping

"Oh I am bereft of change!" I thought what a strange way of saying I have no change. I felt like tapping her on the shoulder and telling her off for misusing the English language.

LawrenceKinden
Male Author

USA
#23 | Posted: 5 Aug 2010 14:44
CrimsonKidCK:
I'm thinking of the HARRY POTTER character Nymphadora Tonks (later Lupin)--another questionable female name..

Questionable in what way? Though Tonks certainly seemed to agree that her name was ridiculous, the naming practices of a culture removed from our own can be interesting. The name "Nymphadora" is in reference to the nymphs of Greek mythology, spirits of nature. In a culture that interacts with centaurs and elves, among other things, I see no reason why a name based on words that reference nature spirits should be questionable (other than it sounds funny to modern ears).

I suspect that the author chose the name because such spirits are often associated with mischief. In "A Midsummer Night's Dream", Puck/Robin Goodfellow is an elfin creature who is known to take many shapes. The same play makes reference to the elfin practice of stealing young humans and leaving behind in his or her place a "changeling".

blimp:
They might be precise terms but they are probably redundant terms unless you are a medical man

Redundancy does not come from choosing more precise or less common words. It is not redundant to use the word spheropygian, though I agree it may be jarring.

blimp:
"Oh I am bereft of change!" I thought what a strange way of saying I have no change. I felt like tapping her on the shoulder and telling her off for misusing the English language.

How dare you? This is in no way a misuse of the language. Sure, it may be more common to say the latter than the former, but perhaps she didn't want to. It may be a bit odd to use "bereft" to refer to so common an item as change, but that is her choice to make. It was not incorrect, just peculiar and poetic.

As to fun words, I'm partial to "quixotic" (extravagantly chivalrous or romantic; visionary, impractical, resembling or befitting Don Quixote.) Though it has nothing to do with bottoms or redness, I should think those of a quixotic nature might be prone to getting their shapely buttocks reddened from time to time.

-LK

blimp
Male Author

England
#24 | Posted: 5 Aug 2010 16:44
We will have to agree to differ on that LK. Bereft indeed! We obviously share a very different view of poetry, although William Mcgonagall might well have found himself bereft of change!

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#25 | Posted: 5 Aug 2010 23:42
LawrenceKinden:
Questionable in what way? Though Tonks certainly seemed to agree that her name was ridiculous, the naming practices of a culture removed from our own can be interesting. The name "Nymphadora" is in reference to the nymphs of Greek mythology, spirits of nature. In a culture that interacts with centaurs and elves, among other things, I see no reason why a name based on words that reference nature spirits should be questionable (other than it sounds funny to modern ears).

I suspect that the author chose the name because such spirits are often associated with mischief. In "A Midsummer Night's Dream", Puck/Robin Goodfellow is an elfin creature who is known to take many shapes. The same play makes reference to the elfin practice of stealing young humans and leaving behind in his or her place a "changeling".

Well, by "questionable" I meant that it could cause problems for its owner due to being teased and even taunted as a child based on it--it's more than "sounding funny," it's a name that recent teenagers, even in the wizarding world I'm figuring, would be likely to associate with nymphomania (nearly uncontrollable sexual urges in a female) as much as with the nymphs of Greek mythology.

The name may have a legitimate basis in legend, history or literature, but it's still important how a child's contemporaries are going to respond to it--and therefore to its bearer--that's something that parents should consider in naming their newborn babies before getting too clever or cutesy.

In the HARRY POTTER books, many of the adult characters have unusual, obscure or seemingly antiquated names (by Muggle standards anyway)--Albus, Alastor, Minerva, Severus, Remus, Sirius, etc.--but most of the children don't--IIRC the exceptions being Draco, Luna and Ginevra (Ginny Weasley's full first name).

Of course, having a name like Bottom, from "A Midsummer Night's Dream," wouldn't that result in its bearer developing into a spankophile? --C.K.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#26 | Posted: 6 Aug 2010 17:45
blimp:
Prove me wrong and use them in your next story, Goodgulf! I am not doubting they can be used just doubting they can be used without jarring the readers poetic sensibilities.

Actually, one of the first stories I ever posted used the words erubescence and erubescent. It's in the library as "Halls Commercial".

I hate to admit it but I'm not adroit enough to use words like that in everyday conversation. I know them when I see them, but actually working them into dialogue or otherwise using them in a story, no, that's just not me. But I do sometime read articles where the person writing it, well, has a command of the English language that I can only envy. Did you know there was a word that means "to hem and haw"? I didn't until I came across it in someone else's writing and looked up the unfamiliar word. I wish I could remember what word it is, but a the moment I can't recall it.

Which is sometimes a problem for me. I can spend hours away from writing trying to find the word I want to use (and its correct spelling, or at least something close enough for the spellchecker to suggest something). One such search was for the word 'soporific' - it was a word that seemed needed in the story, but somehow I thought the spelling was 'sophoric' which led me to 'sopheric' which, while a real word, wasn't the word I was searching for. Alas 'soporific' isn't common enough to jump out at you, but I was eventually able to find it.

No, I can't remember which story it's in - I remember the search more than why I was looking for it.

Goodgulf

LawrenceKinden
Male Author

USA
#27 | Posted: 9 Aug 2010 06:49
Soporific: Good word. That's one I actually use every now and then.

blimp:
We will have to agree to differ on that LK.

I imagine our definitions of what is poetry aren't really all that different. I'm just gettin' up in arms over personal expression. After all, said lady may have been mugged of her coinage. Or perhaps she was being purposely over dramatic, for satirical purposes. Or perhaps she didn't want to say it in a pedestrian manner. I suppose my point is that the usage you describe doesn't specifically go against the definition of the word: meaning to be deprived or lacking of something (typically by violence or death but not necessarily).

Not that I don't have my own pet peeves. If it had been "very unique" or "center around" or "irregardless" or using "myth" to describe something patently false, I'd have been right there with you.

CrimsonKidCK:
I'm figuring, would be likely to associate with nymphomania (nearly uncontrollable sexual urges in a female) as much as with the nymphs of Greek mythology.

Fair point. I never thought of her name as being anything other than a mythology reference.

And certainly parents should think of how their children will be received by their peers, but I have to say that my own first name is quite rare these days and though there were some who teased me, I was always happy to not be another Danny or John.

CrimsonKidCK:
Of course, having a name like Bottom, from "A Midsummer Night's Dream," wouldn't that result in its bearer developing into a spankophile?

Gosh, I sure hope so.

-LK

blimp
Male Author

England
#28 | Posted: 9 Aug 2010 15:39
Sorry LK I am subject to irrational irritations every now and then. It gets worse as I get older. I think there is a Victor Meldrew side to my nature which battles against the joyful, life affirming, positive person I once was!?! Mind you, I still think using "bereft" in that context was a hideous assault on the English language!

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#29 | Posted: 9 Aug 2010 20:52
A friend who taught English in a Nigerian secondary school told me the kids there couldn't distinguish between F and P. The play they were doing was "A Midsummer Night's Dream". There was huge competition for the part of Puck. Mind you, the play is apparently full of smutty jokes, so maybe Shakespeare intended that confusion!

She was also asked if she had seen the Emir's Falace...

LawrenceKinden
Male Author

USA
#30 | Posted: 9 Aug 2010 20:59
blimp:
Mind you, I still think using "bereft" in that context was a hideous assault on the English language!

Why?

-LK

Page  Page 3 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»

Online now: Members - 4 : Guests - 11
brenden937, faygrim, FiddlersGreen, njrick
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9