No German Word for Small Talk

Page  Page 3 of 3: «« 1 2 3
njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#21 | Posted: 29 May 2011 18:20
mati:
It's really no wonder that most German spanking stories sound clumsy.

I only hope that German spankings themselves aren't so clumsy as the stories.

TheEnglishMaster
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#22 | Posted: 29 May 2011 18:43
mati:
I would also never ask a German: 'How are you', if I'm not really interested in his answer.
...the asked person might start telling you the whole story of his/her recent life. If someone starts 'smalltalk', it may happen that he gets the answer: "Why don't you tell this to your hairdresser?"

We Brits could probably do with a dose of germanic honesty! I love the hairdresser put-down, though it's probably guaranteed to result in very hurt feelings here!
As for our puzzling, and entirely redundant greeting, 'How do you do?' I once heard a European respond, "How do I do what?"

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#23 | Posted: 29 May 2011 22:22
Most languages have fairly meaningless polite greetings and questions - meaningless but not pointless. "How do you do?" presumably comes from some archaic usage and means the same as "How are you?" - in other words, seeking confirmation that things are OK, but we no longer expect even a stereotyped reply. However, if I feel ill and excuse myself from a meeting, then returning a few minutes later, "How are you?" might be said as a genuine, concerned enquiry about my health. Depends on context and intonation. In German and many other languages, if A thanks B, it's expected for B to say something stereotyped along the lines of "be my guest", "no problem", "pleasure" or whatever - but in British English this is not expected (Americans do it, probably because of continental European influences). A few languages (Finnish, for instance) have almost no polite stock phrases - very direct, but leaving their speakers in danger of giving offence abroad.

yenz
Male Author

Denmark
#24 | Posted: 30 May 2011 15:08
What about looking up "plaudern", "schwatzen". You can waste just as much time with Germans as with English-speaking blablers.

Page  Page 3 of 3: «« 1 2 3

Online now: Members - 4 : Guests - 7
Elorac, Goodgulf, kanestrokes, StefK
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9