LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

FWIW: my least favorite spanking theme

Page  Page 6 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»
Linda
Female Author

Scotland
#51 | Posted: 21 Nov 2010 21:19
To get this thread back on topic - one of the things that annoys me is a period piece, set perhaps in Victorian times, when a girl or boy is referred to as a 'teenager'. Yes, people aged 13 - 19 existed in those times, but as far as I can discover, the word 'teenage' wasn't used until the 1920s, and 'teenager' even later, in the late 30s.

A small point, I know, but one which irks me for some reason.

Another scenario I don't care for is the 'brat' - the adult woman who is in a spanking relationship, yet who acts like a child, putting itching powder in her husband's underpants and deliberately dyeing his white shirts purple - then she complains when he spanks her!

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#52 | Posted: 21 Nov 2010 21:25
I agree on both points - though I was sternly corrected once when I used the word "chit" in a seventeenth-century historical spanking piece and was told the word was Anglo-Indian and didn't appear in English till, I think, the 19th century. Mea culpa, mea maxima Culpepper. However, the idea, the meaning, was not unhistorical at all, only the term I'd used - whereas "teenager" carries with at a huge cultural baggage, all sorts of assumptions about behaviour most of which Victorians wouldn't have recognised, even late Victorians.

Linda
Female Author

Scotland
#53 | Posted: 21 Nov 2010 21:41
In writing historical pieces, it is well nigh impossible to be totally accurate, if only because most of the dialogue would be incomprehensible to modern readers. Look at how difficult some people find Shakespeare, Chaucer or Henryson, to name but a few.

However, it is possible to give a flavour of the time-frame - add a few 'God's teeth, woman!' or 'By the Lady'. Avoid having your Carolean hero doing anything '24/7' and don't under any circumstances allow your Victorian heroine to say, 'Whatever!' while rolling her eyes.

cfpub
Male Author

USA
#54 | Posted: 22 Nov 2010 04:05
Baretthunter, If you can find the corrector again, you can crush him/her with the news that, according to the online etymological dictionary, "chit" in the meaning "young child" dates to the 1620's, the "chit" borrowed from Marathi is the one meaning a small note.
A general point, whenever anybody tells you anything about etymology, check it out. I know of no area with the possible exception of politics where there is so much misinformation circulated in the general public. Posh, for instance, is not an acronym based on "port out, starboard home" and there never was a habit of listing sex crimes as "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" or even "Fornication Under Consent of the King" leading to one of our favorite obscene terms.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#55 | Posted: 22 Nov 2010 04:29
Linda:
Avoid having your Carolean hero doing anything '24/7' and don't under any circumstances allow your Victorian heroine to say, 'Whatever!' while rolling her eyes.

That is an over-generalization, when applied as a rule. I happen to think that a little creative anachronism can be used to good effect in the right type of story. I started with characters from a well-known 19th century novel, added some peasants "Storming the Castle," only to show the heroine twittering away on her blackberry - and got no complaints (and more than a few positive comments) from my readers.

Not to compare myself to William Shakespeare, but the bard himself often had his characters referencing Elizabethan customs within plays (his 'histories,' no less) set in other eras.

My answer - 'it all depends.'

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#56 | Posted: 23 Nov 2010 16:47
Thanks, cfpub - but I did use it in the sense of an official note (in the English Civil War, Parliamentary soldiers did indeed go round handing out IOU notes for items commandeered from civilians. So I was wrong, but I was correctly describing a quite revealing behaviour (a dedication to the rule of law even in the bloody chaos of civil war). As for the F word, I've been educated: I never knew of those improbable explanations! Because I knew a similar word of presumably common origin existed in French, I assumed the origin was way back.

It is possible to make the language of Chaucer, let alone Shakespeare or Cromwell, comprehensible to most people by just modernising the spelling and translating a few puzzling words. It's unreasonable to ask this of people engaged in writing for fun and no money, but I do think paid authors should bother to do some research, and it's not just a matter of avoiding "Whatever!" or using "By God's Blood!". A Cromwellian soldier, for instance, would not have said, "I don't know where she is", simply because this peculiar trick of English didn't come in till later: he would have said what we can easily understand and to me sounds more direct, "I know not where she is."

Caleb
Male Author

England
#57 | Posted: 24 Nov 2010 10:50
I think that you have all made good points and I agree whole heartedly. Reading the same or nearly the same plot over and over gets boring for anyone.

I hate when the "spankee" be he or she a slave, sub, brat or age player is made out to be stupid and immature. Being on that end of things I can tell you that most of us are not that silly or childish. When my partner and I write, and we write a lot, none of our brats are made out to be helpless, stupid or incapable.

I love a story where the brat (bottom, sub etc) gets himself (herself) into bother without really knowing that it has happened. Those are the best for me, or the ones where he or she chooses to be in trouble.

But spanking stories are written by all sorts of people for all sorts of reasons and there are those people who will read anything.

Redskinluver
Male Author

USA
#58 | Posted: 24 Nov 2010 20:14
Anachronisms can ruin an otherwise good story, especially if they are blatant.
I read a story once where the plot involved a newlywed couple and the husband spanking the bride for wearing a too-revealing bikini on their honeymoon. Very good,except that the story was set in Britain in the early 50s and the bikini sounded very close to a present day one, lots of cheek exposure.
I have never seen a picture of a 50s or even early 60s bikini that exposed the buttocks. The string bikini or Brazilian tanga arrived in the mid-70s. I have a Beach Boys DVD with a segment from the 60s T.A.M.I. show that has girls in bikinis dancing- but none of them the skimpy ones that came along later.
That was a bad flaw in an otherwise good story.
Of course, its all in perspective. A swimsuit that we would regard as quite conservative might well have been seen as daring or scandalous in 1950.

Redskinluver
Male Author

USA
#59 | Posted: 29 Nov 2010 14:42
Here's something I may well find myself in the minority for. I do not like Schoolgirl stories, you know the ones with the plaid skirts, blazers and ties,etc.
In part it is because I am no fan of school CP in r/l, or school uniforms(and the idea that they will solve all the problems of our schools.Ditto school prayer).
I grew up in the Southern USA in the 50s and early 60s. My school system did have CP, but only the lower grades, not high school. Was shocked to learn at some point that some states and school systems actually used it.
I find the idea of a male school administrator paddling a teenage girl repulsive, to be honest.
There used to be this site called Southern Spankings ort something that purported to be a site devoted to the abolition of school corporal punishment. It had "case studies" of what were said to be actual school paddlings. Invariably, it was girls, often the pretty cheerleader or the scantily-clad female athlete.
From discussion on another site, people decided this was actually run by a spanko. He actually had a picture from an adult spanking site on his homepage, someone pointed out.
And of course,bona fide studies of school Cp show that boys are by far more likely to receive it.
And another problem with the Schoolgirl thing-their uniforms are so unrealistic. No school with a uniform policy would allow them. Skirts that short, bare midriffs-obviously someone's fantasy. The only plausible plot would be paddlings for dress code violations.
The only school discipline idea that appeals to me would be a BaredAffair type scenario where a no-nonsense Headmistress takes control of a private school for girls, one where the girls are very rich and spoiled and have run wild. She brings along her paddle-well, you can see where this is going.
Maybe no uniforms, just a dress code, which the girls have been used to violating. But things may change when young ladies find themselves in the headmistress' office, being paddled for such violations as exposed thongs and too-short shorts!

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#60 | Posted: 29 Nov 2010 15:18
Redskinluver:
In part it is because I am no fan of school CP in r/l,

I think you'll find a strong majority here who are not fans of r/l cp in schools, even among those who harbor a schoolgirl FANTASY.

Caleb:
The only school discipline idea that appeals to me would be a BaredAffair type scenario where a no-nonsense Headmistress takes control of a private school for girls, one where the girls are very rich and spoiled and have run wild. She brings along her paddle-well, you can see where this is going.

As your post later shows, many of us can have certain types of scenarios we dislike, while other similar ones we do like. And we're all different.

Page  Page 6 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»

Online now: Members - 5 : Guests - 9
Arivaca, Berlidar, hardcharlie9600, SmacksForFree, wind
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9