LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

FWIW: my least favorite spanking theme

Page  Page 4 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»
kdpierre
Male Author

USA
#31 | Posted: 16 Nov 2010 13:12
cfpub: Actually all of the things you mention can be easily avoided in a spanking story. All an author needs to do is follow the advice of every writer from the beginning of literature until now: write what you know. Be an observer of life and people and then clearly and cleanly transfer your experience into an interesting fictional tale. If you haven't had it happen, seen it happen, or even reliably heard that it happened, it probably won't be convincing to claim that it happened in a story.

Again, fiction is fiction. Fantasy is fantasy. Star Trek transporters don't and probably never will exist, but spankings do exist. To write about spanking with the same fanciful imaginings as describing teleportation is an inevitable path to implausibility.

Guy
Male Author

USA
#32 | Posted: 16 Nov 2010 16:27
kdpierre:
If you haven't had it happen, seen it happen, or even reliably heard that it happened, it probably won't be convincing to claim that it happened in a story.

Yes, but in the case of spanking fiction , one is often writing about something "experienced" through a strong, irresistible private fantasy. If you've experienced the fantasy and can put it on paper, your story is likely to resonate with others.

I grew up in a world where spanking was an accepted fact of life, but I don't believe that is a necessary prerequisite to writing spanking fiction. If it is, then what of the future of the genre in an increasingly non-spanking world? We will run out of qualified writers!

flopsybunny
Female Head Librarian

England
SUBSCRIBER

#33 | Posted: 16 Nov 2010 16:58
Guy:
what of the future of the genre in an increasingly non-spanking world? We will run out of qualified writers!

I shall go into business and set up a residential 'training' course for prospective spanko writers. Bring a pencil, notebook and a paddle!

Redskinluver
Male Author

USA
#34 | Posted: 16 Nov 2010 17:16
I have no problem with spanking stories that involve fictional characters or plots. What I don't care for are stories supposedly set in the "real world" that are totally implausible.
Like a school spanking story where the spankee is spanked on his or her bare bottom in front of the class! Have actually seen this on on some sites where people are talking about real life spankings they received.
Its would be ridiculous enough if presented as fiction,but posting a fantasy like that as fact is downright stupid! Do they really think anyone will believe them.
Now granted that some things that seem farfetched might actually occur; but there are certain limits where only the assumption of total gullibility on the reader's part can explain why something was passed on as true.

kdpierre
Male Author

USA
#35 | Posted: 16 Nov 2010 17:21
Guy: I don't think a spanking writer MUST have personal spanking experience......although it would be a huge plus. However, a writer should be an observer of life and people so that even if the spanking portion might be stretched a bit or born of fantasy, the characters and settings will ring true enough to compensate.

TheEnglishMaster
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#36 | Posted: 16 Nov 2010 18:02
flopsybunny:
I shall go into business and set up a residential 'training' course for prospective spanko writers. Bring a pencil, notebook and a paddle!

Can I be the spelling and grammar teacher? When do we start?

Guy
Male Author

USA
#37 | Posted: 16 Nov 2010 18:08
flopsybunny:

...and a checkbook? May as well make this a going concern.

Perhaps we could even have a certifying body for spanking writers. Applicants would be required to submit proof of qualifications. One can see where a certificate from the Flopsy School of Spankology would be a real "asset".

Perhaps there should be both a written and a practical exam?
Would there be a separate examining board for tops and for bottoms?
Could one be certified in both specialties?

(Sorry, getting a little crazy here)
Guy

cfpub
Male Author

USA
#38 | Posted: 16 Nov 2010 19:22
kdpierre:
If you haven't had it happen, seen it happen, or even reliably heard that it happened, it probably won't be convincing to claim that it happened in a story.

Of course, that's why The Iliad, A Tale of Two Cities, and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court are so unconvincing as opposed to experience based novels such as Alice in Wonderland, Genesis, and Buffy.

Or just maybe, it is why they are called fiction.

kdpierre
Male Author

USA
#39 | Posted: 16 Nov 2010 20:46
cfpub: You seem to be unwilling to accept that fiction includes both fantasy writing and stories that are derived from reality. A Tale of Two Cities is not based on the android rebellion on two cities on Alph Omega Three while Alice in Wonderland is obvious fantasy. Do you really not see a significant difference between the two?

Would you expect a cookbook by an author who never boiled water or interviewed or watched someone who had......or researched cooking in general, to be particularly informative to someone who had? What if Margaret Mitchell wrote Gone With the Wind without ever bothering to learn anything about the Civil War other than what she imagined it might be like? Now if she wrote a book about that android rebellion on Alpha Omega Three, she could probably portray it any way she imagined it and who could dispute it?

blimp
Male Author

England
#40 | Posted: 16 Nov 2010 22:17
Guy:
flopsybunny:

Perhaps Miss Thrashbottom could deal with the more advanced students!? I can see it's going to be a case of book early to avoid disappointment!!

Page  Page 4 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»

Online now: Members - 6 : Guests - 7
addie87, averam300, buffalotom, Geoffrey, kurospank, tag777
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9