LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Stylizing Dialogue

Page  Page 2 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»
rollin
Male Member

USA
#11 | Posted: 1 Feb 2014 16:09
Agree with FiBlue and flopsy. There are better ways to describe the emotional content that the speech conveys, and putting sound effects in the dialog just looks amateurish to me. That said, I've been guilty of that in the past myself, but now at least I know better.

FiBlue
Female Author

USA
#12 | Posted: 1 Feb 2014 17:14
I actually did this a bit in my early stories, especially during spanking scenes, along with onomatopoeia. I have tried to edit all of it out before submitting them to the library, but some could have slipped through. My lazy, bad habit now is over-using ellipses. It's just so darn easy...

Minidancer
Female Author

England
#13 | Posted: 1 Feb 2014 17:40
I don't think I am guilty of using extended phonetics but I should be shot for the amount of ellipses I use. I feel like I want to use them in every other sentence and have to make a concerted effort not to use them. They're just so handy for indicating pauses in speech. And let's face it, natural speech is full of pauses.

But now I know how irritating it is...I will stop doing it...so much!!!

FiBlue
Female Author

USA
#14 | Posted: 1 Feb 2014 18:09
Minidancer:
I should be shot for the amount of ellipses I use.

Shot? I, personally would rather be spanked for it... And, if that is the result, I guess I'll have to keep doing it.

Janine
Female Validater

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#15 | Posted: 1 Feb 2014 18:57
PhilK:
I find it irritating and lazy. Even more so when it's the wrong letter that's stretched:

Yes! It's bad enough when used repeatedly, but when it's the wrong letter being drawn out that's even worse! And I agree that it's generally bad form to emphasize dialogue like that, as well as include endless SMACK's and OW's.

I actually find it interesting to read older works by some established authors here and then compare those to their more efficient use of dialogue and description as they have matured as writers (not mentioning any names!) I know that personally, my earlier stories are certainly not as 'lean' in dialogue as my later ones.

opb
Male Author

England
#16 | Posted: 1 Feb 2014 19:19
As a little sidetrack whilst I disapprove of extending letters I find I want to write dialogue as people actually speak, so this includes shortening words, not using properly formed sentences etc. and I do want to indicate the pace of the speech and to be constantly explaining how words were spoken seems to be too much telling and not showing. Therefore you will find the dreaded ellipsis to show those places when the characters can't think what to say or they pause for dramatic effect

bendover
Male Author

USA
#17 | Posted: 2 Feb 2014 01:08
opb:
this includes shortening words, not using properly formed sentences etc.

This is very true. "I ain't got none." This is perfectly fine for some characters who may be very intelligent or dumber than a box of rocks.

opb:
I find I want to write dialogue as people actually speak

Me, too. I think the story comes off better than trying to embellish the story with twenty five cent words unless once again, you're dealing with a very intelligent character.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#18 | Posted: 2 Feb 2014 07:11
I'm okay with drawing things out in dialogue. Sometimes something can be read in many different ways - it's often a chore to wait until the "how she said it" part to see how you were meant to read it.

"Wait! No!" Jenny wailed as the hand crashed down.
"Wait! Noooo!" Jenny wailed as the hand crashed down.

The second sentence comes closer to capturing the sound of the words, giving you an idea that she's wailing before you read the word "wail". It's breaking some of the rules of English to tell a better story, and isn't the story the point of it all?

Goodgulf

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#19 | Posted: 2 Feb 2014 07:43
I tend to agree with what Goodgulf says, as long as you're not doing it all the time and only to emphasise certain key points, and personally I'd prefer that than multiple exclamation points or interrobangs (an interrobang is a ? and ! combined).

penmask
Male Author

USA
#20 | Posted: 2 Feb 2014 08:31
Seegee

Do you mean an actual interobang (‽) or just this ?!

Page  Page 2 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»

Online now: Members - 9 : Guests - 12
andres, hankypanky, klamath, mihaispk, oldwrangler2, Salguod, SAW1968, Seegee, Steve0958
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9