Negative comments

Page  Page 5 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»
AlanBarr
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#41 | Posted: 12 Mar 2013 19:28
Ishmael:
I see typos and grammar problems. What to do?

If the story has already been validated, you can click on the "validated" icon at the far right and submit a validation error report.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#42 | Posted: 12 Mar 2013 19:37
And to note, sometimes words are intentionally misspelled in an attempt to do dialect, to show that the character is drunk, or to show that the character is sobbing so much she's blurring her words.

As for grammar, often dialogue requires that grammar be butchered. For example a backwoods type might say:
"Y'all threatenin' to spank me with y'all's hand?" Tanya snorted. "Shoot, that ain't no big deal to a gal who was raised up with a switch."
Which butchers grammar and spelling but hopefully helps reveal Tanya's character.

Goodgulf

gail
Female Author

Canada
#43 | Posted: 12 Mar 2013 19:38
Ishmael:
I see typos and grammar problems. What to do?

As FiBlue says, enjoy it and move on.

As an author, it would have to be a really significant error to make me want to go back to the librarians and ask them to fix it. I can't actually think of an example of what a circumstance like that might be; perhaps if i had offended someone or broken some rules....

bendover
Male Author

USA
#44 | Posted: 12 Mar 2013 20:06
I do make comments about the content of the story such as, 'wow, I can see social services getting in involved with this family, I believe that mom went a little overboard, Well, I don't particularly like a father spanking a teenage girl's bottom, etc... However, I don't make comments about the writing. That's not up to me. The LSF has a nice write-up about that.

One should never take 'content comments' too seriously, and one should never take a sorry too seriously either. It's fiction after all. For myself, I'm going to tone the 'content' comments down, too. I enjoy the stories just as much as the next person, and the comments already made can vouch for that.

DLandhill
Male Author

USA
#45 | Posted: 12 Mar 2013 22:37
gail:
As an author, it would have to be a really significant error to make me want to go back to the librarians and ask them to fix it. I can't actually think of an example of what a circumstance like that might be; perhaps if i had offended someone or broken some rules....

Whereas I would *always* make even minor typo corrections, and probably grammar corrections (unless the 'error' was intentional) on my personal master copy, and I might well ask the Librarians to update the posted copy, if it wasn't a lot of trouble for them. The master copy is what I would use for posting to any other site.

DLandhill
Male Author

USA
#46 | Posted: 12 Mar 2013 22:40
bendover:
I do make comments about the content of the story such as, 'wow, I can see social services getting in involved with this family, I believe that mom went a little overboard, Well, I don't particularly like a father spanking a teenage girl's bottom, etc... However, I don't make comments about the writing. That's not up to me. The LSF has a nice write-up about that.

Comments about the writing are what I would want to hear more than anything else, and far too rarely do hear. I want to hear what parts seemed particularly effective, and what a reader thought didn't work. If a PoV Switch was confusing, or a flashback seemed out of place, or a change of scene was awkward, I want to know. I may not agree, and I may well not make changes even if I do agree. but it will surely stay in my mind for future writing.

FiBlue
Female Author

USA
#47 | Posted: 13 Mar 2013 00:15
DLandhill:
Comments about the writing are what I would want to hear more than anything else, and far too rarely do hear. I want to hear what parts seemed particularly effective, and what a reader thought didn't work.

I have seen some positive comments along those lines on various authors' stories, but I think most people feel it is not their place to say what didn't work. Criticism, even well meant, can be touchy, and some folks get really defensive. But, if we can't be honest about what we think, it is just a warm fuzzy fan club, and that is not what I would want. We do need to be tactful and think about how we would feel on the receiving end of the comment before adding it.

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#48 | Posted: 13 Mar 2013 00:21
canadianspankee:
For examples, our USA friends rarely use "z" in many words that Canadians and the British do.

Not sure about Canadians, cs, but as far as the UK and US are concerned I'd say it was the other way around: we tend to use -ise where Americans would write -ize. For example, UK: emphasise; US: emphasize. These differences, like US defense, marvelous, humor, center (UK: defence, marvellous, humour, centre) can mostly be traced back to Noah Webster's 'American Dictionary' of 1828.

tamlynn
Male Member

Canada
#49 | Posted: 16 Mar 2013 05:53
As a non-writer I try to keep my negative comments to myself as I appreciate the efforts of all writers but if that may sound like the case, then what I am trying to do is try to make the author write to his/her potential.

tiptopper
Male Author

USA
#50 | Posted: 16 Mar 2013 17:36
Goodgulf:
"Y'all threatenin' to spank me with y'all's hand?" Tanya snorted. "Shoot, that ain't no big deal to a gal who was raised up with a switch."

I'm about to make a negative comment about that example. In the southern US "Y'all" is plural, it is short for "all of you". It would never be used when talking to one person.

Page  Page 5 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»

Online now: Members - 8 : Guests - 8
Azarga, buffalotom, daveyboy, Februs, flopsybunny, Lizchurch, smithsteveson, towncryer3921
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9