LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Negative comments

Page  Page 3 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»
smartfulcodger
Male Author

USA
#21 | Posted: 8 Mar 2013 09:15
I will always appreciate the honest opinion of the experienced authors on this site. I need to realize that I am just starting out at this and there is a great deal of room for improvement. Whatever you fine people have to say, I promise to listen and consider the valid point of any critique of my work. That way I can can get better at writing, which I am really enjoying.

Sarah89
Female Author

USA
#22 | Posted: 8 Mar 2013 10:00
To me, it depends on the tone and whether or not I feel like they explained their point or not. I received a rather critical comment recently, and while I disagreed with the criticism they gave, I appreciated that they took the time to explain their opinions instead of just writing a flame. I'd be lying if I said I still didn't feel mildly annoyed, but I was also pleased that someone read my work in-depth and wrote a more complex review of it.

If it's a well-written review, I'd respond and say thanks. It doesn't necessarily mean you agree with the points they made or that your story is bad - just that you appreciate the reader taking a thorough look at your writing and being honest. If you really feel they're off base, you could also try to calmly respond to the criticism and clarify anything you feel was misunderstood. If it's pointless insults or the reader doesn't back up the complaints with anything concrete, I'd simply ignore it (or in extreme cases, request that it be removed).

Graves94
Male Author

USA
#23 | Posted: 8 Mar 2013 13:13
Negative comments are the most difficult to write well, and, of course, the most difficult to receive. I occasionally come across an element in another author's story that just does not make sense to me, and I really struggle to point it out in a way that I hope will not offend, but at the same time provide the feedback that may help in later work. For me, and I am sure most of the rest of us, this is not easy; but one of the real values of commenting is to get and provide useful feedback.

Similarly, I have received negative comments that have been right on and applicable to other stories that I might write. They are not necessarily my favorite thing when I first read them, but I do often find them helpful. On that basis, they are much appreciated.

gail
Female Author

Canada
#24 | Posted: 8 Mar 2013 13:32
I am going to make a post which may seem arrogant and egotistical, it is meant to be anything but that!

Sampast asked in another thread how authors felt about their stories; I never answered in that one.
You see, I actually love my own stories; I re-read them, I get pleasure from them and I am sometimes actually proud of them. Each one hits the nail on the head as if custom written for me; well, weren't they?
I write for my own pleasure and I am genuinely thrilled when one of my stories resonates with someone else. I do not post a story unless I feel that it has a level of quality and integrity that reflects my own personal values.

I really love constructive input and I sometimes seek that before I finalise a story; I am grateful to my fellow writers who take the time and provide that so graciously when requested. Comments, post publishing, pointing out minor issues (punctuation, mis-spellings that the spell-checker never picked up) are welcome as it enables me to further polish the article.

I have never (thank you LSF'ers) received a truly negative comment. I have to say, I suspect I would react pretty negatively. A comment on the basic value or integrity of the story is a comment on me - yes, I would take it very, very personally. Perhaps I am too soft, my skin too thin.

However, my basic premise is that I have offered up something of me for your entertainment; take it or leave it, and I am always in seventh heaven with every non-negative bit of feedback I get.

FiBlue
Female Author

USA
#25 | Posted: 8 Mar 2013 14:02
As to receiving negative comments - I haven't gotten any here so far but have only a few stories out, so I'm sure it's just a matter of time. However, I have had some privately, which I welcomed and took as a way to, hopefully, improve. I would much rather hear someone's honest opinion than a perfunctory, "Nice story." To me, submitting a story is asking for a critique, and so I try to be prepared for the bad as well as the good. Naturally, I hope the positive ones outweigh the negative!

When making a comment, I usually find something that I like about a story to comment on along with whatever I don't care for as much. Occasionally I will ask a question if there is something that doesn't seem quite right. Sometimes I just say nothing at all. I try not to make truly negative comments, but I can see where some could be taken that way if I slip into critic mode.

Sebastian
Male Member

USA
#26 | Posted: 8 Mar 2013 16:21
I have gotten a few "negative" comments from authors in a pop-up about my comment from a story. I usually don't respond by continuing with further comments, since I don't have the time to linger on a particular story. I don't really care and it certainly doesn't bother me.

gail
Female Author

Canada
#27 | Posted: 8 Mar 2013 17:24
Sebastian:
I usually don't respond by continuing with further comments, since I don't have the time to linger on a particular story

This is a really important point.
The writer has invested hours - perhaps between 4hrs and 8hrs on that story.
The reader has invested minutes - perhaps between 4mins and 8mins.

It's easy to make the comment, which can hurt like a barb, based on minimal investment.
The author, IMHO, should ignore it and move on. (Easier said than done for those of us with thin skins)

norah
Female Member

Ireland
#28 | Posted: 8 Mar 2013 20:04
I am only a reader here, but I am an avid reader and can and have up to three books on the go..... When I swap them with friends and family I take a minute to say what I thought of it... don't we all. Here we are exposed to thousands of FREE stories that should appeal to us and our kink... why can't we (readers) spend a couple of minutes to think about what we have just read and is making a comment not discussing how you felt with everyone here... and it should also be a thank you to the authors letting them know we appreciate them the stories and the site-

rachelredbum
Female Author

USA
#29 | Posted: 8 Mar 2013 20:42
gail:
We always have problems with our roads in Toronto at this time of the year...the plot holes are a real pain.

Here in Saskatchewan, the plot holes are still covered in snow and ice!

FiBlue
Female Author

USA
#30 | Posted: 8 Mar 2013 21:07
norah:
I am only a reader here

Don't say "only," Norah! It takes both the authors and the readers...but libraries are for the readers.

Page  Page 3 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»

Online now: Members - 9 : Guests - 7
Alef, Alunn, bippyl, Dane, Naotake, northeasterner, Seegee, theo54, WilliamAllen
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9