Are challenges too much to read?

Page  Page 4 of 6: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »»
njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#31 | Posted: 10 Nov 2012 05:26
Februs:
it might be time to call it a day after that as personally I really don't need all the complaining that accompanies them.

I like the challenges. As an author I wouldn't change a thing about them. I like the variety - letters, poetry, limitations on length, etc., and enjoy the challenge presented by each. As a reader, though, I'm finicky - something that has to do with ME, not the challenges. I simply don't read all that many stories. I believe thaT, to be fair, I need to read ALL the entries if I'm going to be voting - yes, even those outside teh ones I would select to read. Last summer, though, I found myself skimming stories, even when I had more time to finish my voting, just to get done with the "assignment. I vowed I wouldn't do that again. I stopped reading by the time I got to the fourth story this time. THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT about the challenges, or a criticism
of the writing in the entries. It's an admission of my own shortcoming. If there were a way to lower teh "workload" so that it becomes fun again, I'd welcome it. If there's no way to do that in a way acceptable to all or most, thn I say leave things as they are. The challenges have produced many great stories which I've enjoyed.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#32 | Posted: 10 Nov 2012 05:59
Everyone knows how the Challenges work, everyone has a choice to read or not. Everyone has a choice to vote or not, to comment or not. One has a choice to enter any amount of stories they want or nothing.

Every Challenge has some who mention such things like, too much to read, no validation to show the type of story genre, stories are too long or too short, and on and on. There will never be a Challenge out there acceptable to everyone on site, that is impossible for Februs, regardless of his techie skills.

Everyone has a choice, either do the Challenge or not, I don't really care, but please don't spoil it for those of us who do like the Challenges.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#33 | Posted: 10 Nov 2012 07:42
Personally, I enjoy the challenges. Having a set word limit forces me to stretch myself as a writer, to say more with less.

Goodgulf

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#34 | Posted: 10 Nov 2012 07:45
canadianspankee:
everyone has a choice

And this time, authors have chosen to submit 94 stories. And readers have chosen (so far, in nine days) to make 21,244 votes. And, this being the LSF (and people being people), members have chosen to make, what, a handful of complaints?

Alef
Male Author

Norway
#35 | Posted: 10 Nov 2012 07:45
It seems clear that most of us who occasionally criticize or suggest changes or improvements for the challenges, want them to continue. I admit that I sometimes feel reading all the stories as something of a chore, but I have managed to do so for all the challenges since I became a member for real, and I am sure they have given me more pleasure than headache. The main advantage is that they force me to read outside my usually territory, leading me to authors, stories, and themes I otherwise wouldn't have discovered. I do, e.g., not usually read many F/M stories, but two of my three favorites so far in this challenge are F/M. It is not that I have changed orientation - they are just damned good stories!

There is another perspective on the continuing discussion of the challenges: What makes this site unique, is the feeling of communality - like a real library, this isn't just a place you go to pick up reading material, but a place to meet friends, chat, discuss and discover. Whatever stirs civilized discussion in here, is a good thing; it keeps the site alive. From this point of view, the challenges are among the best features we have.

jools
Female Author

New_Zealand
#36 | Posted: 10 Nov 2012 08:52
I think it would be a shame to completely stop the challenges as they certainly do encourage people to write... and some for the very first time... So they are a good thing.

I agree with what Mati said earlier about sensory overload when reading several stories with a similar theme in one go. So that is an unavoidable issue with challenges, especially when they have a vast number of submissions.

Narrowing (or splitting) the story synopsis for each challenge as someone suggested (to F/M, F/F, M,F etc) would be farer on scenarios which generally don't win popular vote. It would also help to reduce the overall number of submissions to each individual challenge, making the reading and voting process more manageable for most readers who are interested.

I hope the challenges don't disappear altogether!

PinkAngel
Female Assistant Librarian

Scotland
#37 | Posted: 10 Nov 2012 09:34
jools:
I hope the challenges don't disappear altogether!

Well to be fair, every single time there is a challenge, there seems to be so many complaints and so many people who want things done differently it does get incredibly tiring and really sucks any fun out it for those of us who arrange them. I image that despite this, they will still continue but it would be nice for the admin if the next one was taken as intended... a bit of fun.

mobile_carrot
Male Author

England
#38 | Posted: 10 Nov 2012 09:34
I love the challenges - it gets a whole load of new stories posted and allows writers to see if one of their creations is appreciated anonymously.

Yes it is a chore reading this number but from a writer's viewpoint I'd hope that if people are prepared to vote at all they're prepared to read as many as possible to be fair on everyone.

Hotspur
Male Author

South_Africa
#39 | Posted: 10 Nov 2012 10:19
PinkAngel:
It would be nice for the admin if the next one was taken as intended... a bit of fun.

I think we should all remember that.

Lincoln
Male Author

England
#40 | Posted: 10 Nov 2012 12:27
Please, please keep the challenges going. Partly, as has been said, one gets the chance to read stories one wouldn't ordinarily read, but mainly because as an author you get to write on a subject which is normally outside your compass.

I can well understand the weariness and frustration caused to Februs, Pink Angel and Flopsy when the complaints come rolling in. They seem to be the same ones every time. I think it was Winston Churchill who said; "One learns to ignore the crackling of thorns under the pot."

As I said once before: if you don't like to write for a challenge; don't bother. If you don't like reading them; don't bother. We live in free countries (most of us).

Just keep the challenges rolling.

Page  Page 4 of 6: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »»

Online now: Members - 8 : Guests - 15
caner2214, DomDavid, donut88, Erdling85, jtaylor75, northeasterner, spanki1962, Swater101
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9