LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Are challenges too much to read?

Page  Page 1 of 6: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »»
barretthunter
Male Author

England
#1 | Posted: 8 Nov 2012 21:16
From time to time there are complaints about the length of some story challenge entries and people say (or others say for them) that they struggle to read all that's posted for the challenge. Why then, I wondered aloud during the last one, were the great majority of the people reading on the site at any one time during a challenge not reading challenge entries?

This time the challenge is restricted by length to 2500 words, which is probably below the average for entries to challenges not so restricted. However, perhaps as a result, the number of entries is massive, 94, so that the amount to read is just as much.

I thought I'd do a bit of research and use the Activity page, counting how many people were reading challenge entries and how many were reading other stories. The result, from checks at different times on four different days, was as follows:

CHALLENGE 4, NON-CHALLENGE 27
CHALLENGE 6, NON-CHALLENGE 22
CHALLENGE 5, NON-CHALLENGE 29
CHALLENGE 9, NON-CHALLENGE 29
TOTAL CHALLENGE 24, TOTAL NON-CHALLENGE 107. So there are plenty of readers who either aren't trying to read all the entries, or who have enough reading time to read them all several times over but wisely choose instead to read all the entries plus many more other stories.

Alef
Male Author

Norway
#2 | Posted: 8 Nov 2012 21:54
It's hard to say, but my feeling is that the challenges are mainly of interest to the "in-crowd", i.e. authors and other "active" members. People who only stop by to read stories once in a while may not even be aware of the current challenge. And even active members may occasionally get a little tired of keyholes and escape to something else for a while. I am halfway and think I shall make it through all the challenge entries!

TheEnglishMaster
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#3 | Posted: 8 Nov 2012 23:26
Alef:
may not even be aware of the current challenge.

That's hard to believe, given the large and enticing picture of the keyholes, and their contents, on the Home page. But I agree about the 'in-crowd'.
It may be that the anonymity and lack of categorisations attached to challenge stories makes some readers choose to wait till it's all over and pick and choose thereafter.
I've read about 30 so far, and fully intend to complete them all, with comments and votes.

cayenne
Male Author

England
#4 | Posted: 9 Nov 2012 01:53
My view is that the challenges are open too long. A snap call for submissions might be more of a real challenge. I cannot face reading 90 stories or anything other than a very small fraction thereof. I was tempted to write a story this time, as the keyhole theme did have some appeal, but promptly forgot about it! Blast!

bendover
Male Author

USA
#5 | Posted: 9 Nov 2012 02:26
cayenne:
My view is that the challenges are open too long.

I don't think shorting the time frame would be a good idea. 94 stories are quite a lot. I tend to think it would also lessen the chances of a good story or stories to win, place, and show. Many people aren't here all the time either. I've been reading maybe 5 or 6 per day. I think I have a little over 30 to go.

Alef:
It's hard to say, but my feeling is that the challenges are mainly of interest to the "in-crowd", i.e. authors and other "active" members.

This could be very true. Checking the activity in the library I can see that there are a lot of readers reading other stories, and the same readers not going for the challenges. I also can't see how anyone entering the library can't see that big keyhole and that beautiful bare bottom behind it.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#6 | Posted: 9 Nov 2012 02:32
barretthunter:
From time to time there are complaints about the length of some story challenge entries and people say (or others say for them) that they struggle to read all that's posted for the challenge. Why then, I wondered aloud during the last one, were the great majority of the people reading on the site at any one time during a challenge not reading challenge entries?

Taking the question literally I think the short answer is whatever you do someone is going to complain or voice dissatisfaction with it.

Ultimately, those that enjoy the challenges (and I count myself amongst them) will continue to enjoy them and those that don't will avoid them.

They were never intended to be anything profound, just a bit of fun and something to generate a bit of discussion. And looking at the positives they've been responsible for the creation of 515 new works of spanking fiction, which those who didn't wish to participate in the actual challenges can read whenever they feel like it.

cayenne
Male Author

England
#7 | Posted: 9 Nov 2012 02:40
It's interesting to read the different views on this. I'm pleased to learn that our webmaster reads the stories.

I'm tempted to write a keyhole story anyway, even though it's too late for the challenge.

bendover
Male Author

USA
#8 | Posted: 9 Nov 2012 02:48
cayenne:
I'm tempted to write a keyhole story anyway, even though it's too late for the challenge.

I love that attitude, cayenne. Go for it! I'll surly be one of your readers.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#9 | Posted: 9 Nov 2012 03:34
I'm not participating in the reading/voting this time, in part because f the volume of stories (although I did submit a story). It's certainly possible to do that much reading - cs has already finished, and I completed my reading;/voting on last summer's challenge (which had only slightly fewer total words) in less than he allotted time. This month, however, I have other demands on my time. I would certainly be more inclined to participate if there were less to read. When I've previously made suggestions that would help cut down the amount of reading required (cayenne's idea for a shorter period for writing; a limit of one entry per author) which were not well-received. I've even heard grumbling about the 2,500-word limit, and authors who didn't submit entries because of it. Personally, I think there can be too much of a good thing. But since other members here seem to like having more, that's fine. I'm not going to complain; I'll just make my own decisions about participation based on what I can do.

erniethefiend
Male Member

Canada
#10 | Posted: 9 Nov 2012 04:20
I make extensive use of the synopses to find stories that I know will align closely with my particular kink. The challenge entries don't have this feature and I find I spend a lot of time viewing stories that turn out not to be my cup of tea.

If the challenge stories had synopses, I would spend more time with them.

Page  Page 1 of 6: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »»

Online now: Members - 7 : Guests - 3
Balor, BashfulBob, ebbetsjim, Heike, magegod989, ReaDia, Zachary314159
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9