The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Noticeboard /

F/M Spanking Story Challenge 2017

Page  Page 9 of 12: «« 1 2 3  ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »»
Guy
Male Author

USA
#81 | Posted: 9 Mar 2017 23:33
flopsybunny:
I give a high score if I enjoy reading the story, but if it's sloppy writing or it has a heap of mistakes I deduct points ('Oh what a meanie!' I hear them cry :D), and I'll also award extra points for the quality of the writing (even if I don't like the story itself that much). If something stands out as being particularly well crafted/imaginative with a decent plot and believable characters and engages my interest, I may even give it a 10!

Yep, it's up to each reader to invent his/her own criteria, and it always works out very well in the end because there are so many people doing the scoring that the averages flatten things out.

My formula is very much like Flopsy's, except that a perfectly crafted story rates a maximum of an "8". So how do you get a "9" or a "10"? For that you need to trigger some emotion in this old Guy. Make me laugh (it happens), arouse me (yes, it's still possible), make me shed a tear (yep, that's still possible too), or even make your characters piss me off!

It also helps if after reading your story I wish that I had written it myself.

RosieRad
Female Author

USA
#82 | Posted: 9 Mar 2017 23:47
flopsybunny:
All I would ask of participating authors is please don't just award yourself a big fat 10 for your own story and then disappear ... please take the time to read and vote on the other entries too, and if something is especially to your liking, leave a comment.

Yes, I realized (actually "was informed" is probably a better way of putting it) a while back that it's not really fair to just vote on a few of the stories, as that basically gives the others that you didn't get to a vote of zero. So you need to commit to doing all of them if you are doing scored. But do folks vote on their own stories? It feels "tacky" to give oneself a 10, but it would be hard to fairly judge one's own story, and most of us probably do write things that push our own buttons.

flopsybunny
Female Head Librarian

England
SUBSCRIBER

#83 | Posted: 9 Mar 2017 23:59
Guy:
It also helps if after reading your story I wish that I had written it myself.

Absolutely, Guy. That says it all.

RosieRad:
But do folks vote on their own stories? It feels "tacky" to give oneself a 10, but it would be hard to fairly judge one's own story, and most of us probably do write things that push our own buttons.

Yes, quite a lot of authors vote for their own stories, so if you're feeling very satisfied with your own, then don't feel guilty ... give it a score!

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#84 | Posted: 10 Mar 2017 01:00
RosieRad:
But do folks vote on their own stories? It feels "tacky" to give oneself a 10, but it would be hard to fairly judge one's own story, and most of us probably do write things that push our own buttons.

Since the site provides an average score out of the ones that have been given, that's what I give to my own story/stories after I've voted on all the others, so that hopefully I'm neither favoring nor discriminating against my own entry/entries.

However, I don't take the "competition" aspects of a writing Challenge all that seriously...

--C.K.

Burgundy
Female Member

Canada
#85 | Posted: 10 Mar 2017 01:43
Thanks, everyone, all these answers helped a lot! Yeah, I figured of course there's no way to have any rules about how to vote, but it was still useful to hear how other people are choosing how to score the entries. So I'm just gonna keep doing what I'm doin'...

mobile_carrot
Male Author

England
#86 | Posted: 10 Mar 2017 15:00
I always vote for my own story - but I always find there's at least one or two which I think are better so I give them a higher mark than mine.

In the event that I don't get to read them all by closing date - and the unread ones are usually the longer ones - I go through and give them all a default mark which is higher than the ones I adjudged to be weakest, because I've probably missed some good ones and the least I can do is not allow them to register as zero by default.

mj2001
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#87 | Posted: 11 Mar 2017 04:39
I entered the last challenge but waited until last to rate my own story after I'd read everyone else's so I had a better feel for where I stood.

RosieRad
Female Author

USA
#88 | Posted: 11 Mar 2017 06:33
Oooh, I just awarded my first "10" (and not to my own story!) Fun stuff in this batch.

opb
Male Author

England
#89 | Posted: 11 Mar 2017 13:38
Because of the huge number of entries we have sometimes had I felt on those occasions that it wouldn't be fair to vote unless I'd read all the stories so my policy is now to try to read and comment on them all and not vote just in case I don't get round to all of them at the moment I'm about a quarter of the way through so ill probably get finished this time.

mj2001
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#90 | Posted: 11 Mar 2017 14:29
RosieRad

Oooh, I just awarded my first "10" (and not to my own story!) Fun stuff in this batch.

Funny, a few weeks ago I remember there was concern that this Challenge wasn't going to be well supported. So we only managed 37 entries?

Page  Page 9 of 12: «« 1 2 3  ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »»

This topic is closed. You can't post a reply.
Online now: Members - 2 : Guests - 4
odin, Ormansanches
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9