LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

I write like ...

Page  Page 3 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»
PinkAngel
Female Assistant Librarian

Scotland
#21 | Posted: 23 Jul 2010 09:10
Ooo I don't mind being like Raymond Chandler any more...

Raymond Thornton Chandler (July 23, 1888 – March 26, 1959) was an Anglo-American novelist and screenwriter who had an immense stylistic influence upon the modern private detective story, especially in the style of the writing and the attitudes now characteristic of the genre. His protagonist, Philip Marlowe, is, along with Dashiell Hammett's Sam Spade, considered synonymous with "private detective", both being played by Humphrey Bogart...

Hmmm I wish lol

TheEnglishMaster
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#22 | Posted: 23 Jul 2010 18:13
Humph! I'm very dubious about 'I Write like' - are we sure they're not just nicking all our stuff? I'm like HPLovecraft (never read him), Shakespeare (paleeaase!) and PGWodehouse (flattering) for the 3 different stories I input. I suspect I'd get a different answer for every other one too.
Those really in the know say I write like a perverted maniac!

Gabbs
Female Author

England
#23 | Posted: 23 Jul 2010 19:17
TheEnglishMaster:
Those really in the know say I write like a perverted maniac!

Takes one to know one etc...

blimp
Male Author

England
#24 | Posted: 23 Jul 2010 19:34
I too am very dubious. I had PG Wodehouse and HP Lovecraft in mine. I have never read Lovecraft either but wikipedia gave him a good write up

Howard Phillips Lovecraft (August 20, 1890 – March 15, 1937) was an American author of horror, fantasy, and science fiction, especially the subgenre known as weird fiction.

Lovecraft's guiding literary principle was what he termed "cosmicism" or "cosmic horror", the idea that life is incomprehensible to human minds and that the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. As early as the 1940s, Lovecraft had developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a series of loosely interconnected fiction featuring a pantheon of humanity-nullifying entities, as well as the Necronomicon, a fictional grimoire of magical rites and forbidden lore. His works were deeply pessimistic and cynical, challenging the values of the Enlightenment, Romanticism, and Christian humanism.[1][2] Lovecraft's protagonists usually achieve the mirror-opposite of traditional gnosis and mysticism by momentarily glimpsing the horror of ultimate reality and the abyss.

Although Lovecraft's readership was limited during his life, his reputation has grown over the decades, and he is now regarded as one of the most influential horror writers of the 20th century. According to Joyce Carol Oates, Lovecraft — as with Edgar Allan Poe in the 19th century — has exerted "an incalculable influence on succeeding generations of writers of horror fiction".[3] Stephen King called Lovecraft "the twentieth century's greatest practitioner of the classic horror tale

See we are up there with the great names in 20th century fiction!! My goodness the air here is so rarefied I can hardly breathe!!? I shall try and remain modest at all times but it may be difficult!

Erwin
Male Member

Germany
#25 | Posted: 23 Jul 2010 19:50
I have two stories in the pipeline. But till now they are only translated by google translator

For the first story that site says Nabokov, for the second story the site says Shelley.
It's the story of a couple, but "Nabokov" tells his story, "Shelley" tells her story about the same event.

It's funny, isn't it?

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#26 | Posted: 23 Jul 2010 22:18
Lovecraft...

It's difficult to describe his writing. He has been so influential that many of his works seem to be "rip offs" of later writers. He is best known for his horror, and Stephen King lists him as a major influence.

Many of his stories could be summarized as "Someone stumbles over the Truth, and wrestles with madness and or death". He is most known for his Cthulhu stories where someone slowly learns that there were things before man rose from the mud, they will be here long after we are gone, and we don't matter to them. Some see as food and some would destroy as carelessly as a person stepping on an ant.

If you've heard the word necromonicon, Cthulhu, or deep one - then you've heard of his inventions.

Goodgulf

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#27 | Posted: 24 Jul 2010 03:34
They wouldn't want to 'pinch' the stuff that's posted there. I know of people who have posted bits of already published authors just to test out the site.

cheery
Male Author

Scotland
#28 | Posted: 24 Jul 2010 08:36
blimp:
ames Joyce boring? flopsy, its absolutely sacriligeous to say James Joyce is boring. Read the short stories in the Dubliners and then tell me he is boring. If you see the twentieth century literary greats in terms of the English Football Premiership James Joyce would be Man Untd! I wish"I Write Like" had told me I wrote like James Joyce. Not that I would be daft enough to believe it.

I removed all the spaces between the words of your text in the hope of getting Joyce for you.

It came back with Cory Doctorow.

Never mind.

blimp
Male Author

England
#29 | Posted: 24 Jul 2010 17:22
Thanks Cheery, nice try! I know I don't write like James Joyce whatever anyone says!

KJM
Male Author

Brazil
#30 | Posted: 24 Jul 2010 22:36
Submitted three of my stories.

The first one, a piece written under influence called "Of dinossaurs and round bottoms" came as written in Margaret Attwood style.

The second, a stand alone part of my "Conservative States of America" series came as written in the style of Chuck Palahniuk. Have to google him.

And the third one a very dark story with mind control theme, certainly not suited for gentle readers of Spanking Library, got my writing in the style of Cory Doctorow.

Needless to say, the analysis is bollox, but neverless I'm pleased they didn't came with the veredict "you write like a 4th former" or "you write as escapee from night school for illetrate".

Page  Page 3 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»

Online now: Members - 8 : Guests - 7
Auntie, Elorac, hunter, rickf, rnr, Steve0958, tiger123, TimeLee
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9