LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

1914 Mother's Club take on child discipline

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»
DarkRiver
Male Member

Canada
#1 | Posted: 20 Jun 2014 21:14
I came across this article. I tried to find a link to the original but Google only returned a link to the NYT Archive with samples form that issue and an OCR rendering of the article. It was interesting reading how wildly the mother's ranged when it came to spanking.

New York Times, 22 June 1914
Scientific Spanking.
How Mothers' Club Worked Out a Scale of Punishments.

To the Editor of the New York Times:

"Letters in THE TIMES some weeks ago concerning judicious and injudicious spanking have caused practically all of the mothers of one little suburban community to question themselves seriously and to good purpose. We are agreed that no question is of greater importance, individually or nationally, than the discipline of our children. I am writing this letter, upon an unpleasant subject, with the hope that what we actually discovered may help other mothers.

"At our Mothers' Club we found that before we could make any progress with this problem, we must find, first, just what is the prevailing practice, and, second, define our terms. Of the thirty-four mothers of the organisation all but one admitted using corporal punishment at some time in some form. To them "corporal punishment" meant anything from an occasional shaking to the most formal and severe flogging. As many as fifty-six children, of from 2 to 18, were involved.

"To get at something definite, each mother described in writing, without her name, the last offense for which her child had been punished corporally and just what the punishment had been. The statements revealed the most appalling lack of definite principles or agreement. For mere carelessness, some children were punished more severely than were others for willful disobedience or even moral turpitude. Strangely enough, the girls were treated much more severely than the boys. Taken as a whole, the offenses and the punishments bore no fixed or logical relationship to each other.

"Each mother defined her idea of a punishment for a definite offense. (The "definite offense" was clear to all of us, but could not be made so to others in a few words.) The punishments were absurdly different. They ranged from those that the child could hardly feel to fifty blows of the English rod or Scotch tawse. In twenty-eight out of the thirty-four families some form of spanking prevailed -- ruler, paddle, hand, switch, strap, rod, were, in the order named, the instruments of correction. The blows ranged in number from three to "oh, until my strength gives out, probably a hundred or more." Remember that the children were playmates, in the same neighborhood, constantly comparing notes, no doubt. Generally, a portion or all of the clothing was removed. In only six families was there a consistent rule to make the discipline wholly private.

"We realize that every child is different from every other child, every childish act different from every other, and that punishment should not function largely. Yet the present lack of agreement is senseless. Granted that corporal punishment is a necessary evil, or, granted merely that in most families it is used, most mothers, judging from our survey, either do not really punish when they think they do or are positively brutal.

"Our club will classify, roughly, all offenses into three groups -- thoughtlessness, disobedience, moral turpitude. In each category, we shall set as a standard a maximum and minimum punishment -- some form of spanking that really punishes, without injury -- duly modified according to age. For instance, in the second category, the minimum punishment will probably be one blow of the paddle for every year of the culprit's age, and the maximum four. We are agreed that all punishment shall be upon the bare skin, always in private. The mothers are pledged to carry out the decision.

"If we must have corporal punishment at all, let us know what we are doing, what our neighbors are doing, and rationalize and standardize punishment.

SECRETARY.
Haverford, Penn., June 19, 1914."

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 21 Jun 2014 07:22
Times change. Could anyone imagine this being published as a mainstream news article today?

AlanBarr
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#3 | Posted: 21 Jun 2014 08:25
Seegee:
Could anyone imagine this being published as a mainstream news article today?

I doubt if it would even be legal on the UK.

Although it claims to be preventing brutality, it still seems incredibly harsh. Eg, a 12 year old guilty of disobedience could get up to 48 paddle strokes on the bare! An 18 year old guilty of moral turpitude (no, I'm not sure what it is, either) would be best advised to do a runner!

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#4 | Posted: 21 Jun 2014 08:58
Back then I think an 18 yo girl guilty of moral turpitude (which is basically what was considered loose sexual behaviour) could very well find herself doing time in a Magdalene laundry. In that case the corporal punishment option would probably be preferable.

DarkRiver
Male Member

Canada
#5 | Posted: 21 Jun 2014 13:42
Yeah I can just hear the howls of outrage if this sort of article was published today.

A published author recently released "updated" books to bring her stories into teh modern era and she eliminated the one spanking reference because kids wouldn't understand it. The problem is (at least to me) it lessened the story.

tysout
Male Author

Scotland
#6 | Posted: 22 Jun 2014 11:17
I fear the wrath of the 'Anti-Spanking Brigade' may stretch even further and that we will end up re-writing history.
I can assure them that my parents (God rest their souls), were they still alive, would have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.
Not everyone who employed spanking, either in school or domestically, were child abusers.

Bogiephil1
Male Author

USA
#7 | Posted: 22 Jun 2014 17:38
tysout:
Not everyone who employed spanking, either in school or domestically, were child abusers.

Nor even most of them. Being able to "beat" children has a built-in advantage for those inclined towards sadism, especially if spanking enjoyed wide mainstream acceptance, which it no longer does. Of course the line between abuse and legitmate correction can be exceedingly fine, but there are also all kinds of sexual abuse and psychological abuse too. Children should be cherished, not abused in any way (even if they are sometimes disobedient little brats... ). Correction doesn't require severe punishment...

opb
Male Author

England
#8 | Posted: 23 Jun 2014 06:20
This article, though a hundred years old illustrates one of the reasons why corporal punishment became so heavily criticized.
The wide range of severity of practice (which even shocked the researchers) allowed the argument that all physical punishments are extreme, despite the parallel finding that some mothers' punishments were too lenient to be effective.

Their suggested remedy was predictable, and exactly in line with the technique used in the public judicial system, namely that of specifying a punishment for a crime.

DarkRiver
Male Member

Canada
#9 | Posted: 23 Jun 2014 16:22
I think this strip is fairly accurate when it comes to some (but certainly not the majority) of today's modern parents :D

http://www.gocomics.com/onebighappy/#.U6hFgyjqhu0

Bogiephil1
Male Author

USA
#10 | Posted: 23 Jun 2014 19:02
The most recent commenter on the site there had it right. I hope it was HER car...

Anyone who lets their child get away with behavior like that is not doing them a favor; they're setting them up for a very rude awakening somewhere down the line.

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»

This topic is closed. You can't post a reply.
Online now: Members - 12 : Guests - 3
bbnebraska12, Coni500, defiant, Filbert74, Lizchurch, Rickinto, sirPaul52, sks089, solbond, Solomono, spanker30, tocciek
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9