library of spanking fiction forum
LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Congratulations to the British people...

Page  Page 2 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»
canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#11 | Posted: 4 Feb 2013 23:44
Interesting to note there is no mention of any riches found around him. So, did the riches not exist, perhaps they disappeared when he was found or what. He was buried in a strange location for sure however they always buried loyalty with jewels etc.

Perhaps I missed all that part from previous news broadcasts, but one would think his riches would be enough and more to pay any parking tickets, so to speak.

smeple
Male Author

USA
#12 | Posted: 5 Feb 2013 03:56
mobile_carrot:
amazed that we would bury a king under a car park

Does this change Richard III's famous Shakespeare line from "A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse" to "A car, a car, my kingdom for a parking spot?"

Sebastian
Male Member

USA
#13 | Posted: 5 Feb 2013 04:07
smeple:
Does this change Richard III's famous Shakespeare line from "A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse" to "A car, a car, my kingdom for a parking spot?"

What happened??? They found King Richard III buried in a parking spot? I missed this news. What was he doing buried in a parking spot. I loved the above reply from smeple. To think, I thought that he was buried with Grant at Grants Tomb in New York city.

tamlynn
Male Member

Canada
#14 | Posted: 5 Feb 2013 06:35
Hey, the DNA dude was from Canada and was it was explained to me that Dick moved from 100th in line to#1. Sounds like a 15th century Maggie!

opb
Male Author

England
#15 | Posted: 5 Feb 2013 07:54
canadianspankee:
nteresting to note there is no mention of any riches found around him.

Ah, the reason with this is that Richard III was killed in battle and thus lost his throne by arms. This followed a long and dirty period of war where the throne was in dispute between two royal families. As such, when he was killed in the battle his body was abused by his enemies and not exactly buried with great honour.

I think a church stood at the time on the site which is now the car park.

Lincoln
Male Author

England
#16 | Posted: 5 Feb 2013 11:38
I think an Abbey was on the site at the time.

For us Yorkshiremen it is a no brainer. We want him back in York and to be buried in the Minster!

yenz
Male Author

Denmark
#17 | Posted: 5 Feb 2013 18:01
What about Edwin Drood, where will they find him?

catmama
Female Member

USA
#18 | Posted: 5 Feb 2013 18:27
I think this is so exciting, even if I am not British! I had to Google it after I read the first set of comments. They have even been able to show that he did indeed have a curved spine and therefore was a hunchback. DNA testing is amazing. I read that there was some question as to where to re-bury him. I agree that it should be in the Greyfriars Cathedral near his burial place. I spent last evening wrapped up in Shakespeare. Our PBS stations are running a series of Shakespeare Uncovered, of course from the BBC. I watched 3 of the episodes last night, One with Derek Jacobi on Richard II, One with Jeremy Irons on Henry IV and Henry V and one with David Tenet on Hamlet. I hope they will also cover Richard III. The discussion on the social and historical issues influencing the plays is wonderful. I wish these had been available when I was teaching.

Lincoln
Male Author

England
#19 | Posted: 5 Feb 2013 18:36
catmama:
I hope they will also cover Richard III.

Don't take Shakespeare's version of Richard III too seriously although it is a wonderful play. WS had to say the "right things" about Richard III as Henry VII, the usurper, was Queen Elizabeth I's Grandfather, and he had to follow the party line.

Guy
Male Author

USA
#20 | Posted: 5 Feb 2013 22:09
It seems that the British people are due another, very genuine, congratulations. They have taken a step towards equality: "MPs have approved same-sex marriage in England and Wales in a key Commons vote, despite the opposition of almost half the Conservative MPs".

If only my own country were so progressive.

Page  Page 2 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»

Online now: Members - 8 : Guests - 16
Alef, dougmorton, fkbr, Heaton, Michito21, Ree, ShelbyH, Unfortunate
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9