library of spanking fiction forum
LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Anyone out there good with Appalachian dialect?

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2
Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#11 | Posted: 4 Feb 2013 07:49
Thank you all for all your wonderful advice.

pygyos:
Night Riders (KKK) were meant to terrorize black people, and since there were almost no black people in Appalachia, there was also not much of a KKK presence. And standing stones?!!

Night Riders were more than just the KKK. Many areas had their own self appointed guardians of moral conduct (i.e. vigilantes who enforced Judge Lynch's version of the law). Sometimes they were called citizens' committees, slickers, white caps, or night riders. While most infamous for lynching (and rightly so) these groups also road people out town on a rail and tarred and feathered them. They also "beat sense" into people. One of the most famous night rider groups were involved in the Black Patch Tobacco War.

As for standing stones, there are some Native American stones but I was pulling mostly from another storyteller for them. For some reason his parents called him "Manly Wade Wellman" (which leads me to wonder if he had a sister named "Womanly") and he wrote some wonderful books set in that area.
Wikipedia gives a good summary of those stories at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_John and some of those books involve mysterious stones set in the backwoods...

I'm not sure if I can ever get the dialogue in that story up to stand for this site, but if I post it elsewhere I'll provide a link.

Goodgulf

DLandhill
Male Author

USA
#12 | Posted: 6 Feb 2013 03:53
The "Silver John" stories (aka "John the Balladeer") are wonderful, and i have most of them. So are many of his other works -- I am particularly fond of his _Sherlock Holmes' War of the Worlds_ But in the Silver John series, while many of the supernatural elements are based on authentic legend, Manly also included elements from other areas of folklore, when he thought they fitted the story he wanted to tell.

For a pretty full listing of his work, see http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?803

-Don L.

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2

Online now: Members - 9 : Guests - 13
andres, Bilboa, Frspanko, klamath, mihaispk, oldwrangler2, Patron, Salguod, Steve0958
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9