Out of hand kids

Page  Page 4 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4
njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#31 | Posted: 13 Jan 2012 19:58
bendover:
This is a girl who got everything she wanted from mommy and daddy.

This is a supposition you keep repeating, without any evidence. You assume that she's spoiled, which may or may not be true. All we really know is that her mother is supporting her quest. I can just as easily speculate that she got nothing at all from her father, ever, and that's why she craves attention, and particularly the the attention she may get from men with this type of picture. I don't know that this is the case, but it's just as good an assumption as yours. I can imagine (with no evidence) that her mother is supporting her because she feels guilty that she hasn't given her daughter, or been able to give her daughter, other things. Or perhaps the daughter is emulating her mother, which is why the mother is supportive.

I'm also going to go out on a limb to speculate something else - that this 'award-winning yearbook' allows a lot self-expression in the photos the staff allows the students to express themselves with, that the pictures are NOT the assembly-line basic portraits most of us remember being taken for our own yearbooks, which the publication could then easily use to limit all students to a head-and-shoulders portrait photo. Further, in their creative, award-winning wisdom, they probably never thought to establish standards for this self-expression. Not having done so, they cannot so easily make judgment calls about what is acceptable. (Now how's THAT for speculation?)

Personally, I think it IS part of a school's job to provide guidance and set limits for the students that attend, in part because parents don't uniformly (adverb here chosen intentionally) do such a god job preparing their children for the world. And an appropriate dress code is part of that. This is coming from someone who grew up in the sixties and attended a school that wrestled with the issues of proper dress. That being said, a dress code should take into account (though not always bow to) the times, location, and culture in which it exists. In my high school, we were never allowed to wear shorts, even after the dress code war was fought and won, because quite frankly that wasn't a big issue - then. But shorts are more of out culture now. Setting the allowable length of a skirt is reasonable - with the proviso here that the standard when I was in high school (which may have been 4" above the knee) may be ridiculously restrictive today, but may have been scandalous in the fifties. And just as (in my opinion) it's reasonable to set standards for for what may be warn at school, it is also reasonable to set standards (not necessarily the same) for apparel in yearbooks, or attending school-sponsored events. But the standards should be clear, written, and established in advance, after appropriate input from students and parents. That's what happened to end the dress code wars in my high school, way back when. There were those who were sure learning would stop once girls were allowed to to wear slacks and jeans to school (horrors!), and others equally convinced that freedom had failed because those jeans still could not have frayed cuffs. But it all worked.

blimp
Male Author

England
#32 | Posted: 13 Jan 2012 23:09
njrick:
But the standards should be clear, written, and established in advance, after appropriate input from students and parents

The trouble is its always grey haired old men who decide these dress codes. I suppose on the plus side most young people do seem to enjoy rebellion. I know how much I enjoyed growing my hair long when it was strictly forbidden to do so.

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#33 | Posted: 14 Jan 2012 00:48
Redskinluver:
And after all we know school adminstrators are often an uptight lot, think of Principal Snyder of Buffy the Vampire Slayer!

Didn't he end up being devoured by a giant serpent--which the commencement speaker turned into--in the middle of his school's graduation ceremony?

Well, I suppose that saved people from having to listen to his stuffy, self-serving closing remarks... --C.K.

mati
Female Member

Germany
#34 | Posted: 14 Jan 2012 08:18
blimp:
I suppose on the plus side most young people do seem to enjoy rebellion.

Thats what I think too. Fashion for young people is an ideal playing field for learning social skills. The funny thing is, that adults don't need to interfere at all. Social control between young people functions automatically. No girl is really autarkic in the decision, what she will wear and if one girl steps out too far from the common line, she will immediately notice her mistake by the reaction of her class-mates. If you look at an optional class in an optional school the girls clothes are all looking very similar and the range of variety is pretty small. This young american girl will soon recognize, whether her action was really such a good idea. I like it, when girls try their constraints with dresses and not with drugs. And we parents can concentrate on the real important fights with our kids. Thus said, I think I would have to take a deep breath if one of my children would send such a foto in and I would definitely not demonstrate in front of the school-gate for her civil rights. If she wants to rebell, she has to do it without parental support in a case like this.

islandcarol
Female Author

USA
#35 | Posted: 15 Jan 2012 15:43
mati:
My own kids (even as teenagers) were always great company too and also all their friends. My experience is surely that real kids and teens are much nicer than the fictional ones in this library and not half as rotten as I was myself when I was young.

Mati, real teens are like most teens in that they behave the way they are raised. I have lots of experience with real teens and if they come from a home where thoughtful, respectful behavior is expected, then that behavior follows.
These days too many parents have become full time agents for their children, collecting recommendation letters from officials, so their children can gather accolades for tasks his/her parents have engineered. I believe Mom and Dad were behind that attempt to "modernize " the schools-yearbook committee"s- decency standards. those parents made that child!
IC

Page  Page 4 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4

Online now: Members - 2 : Guests - 9
books4ever, hunter
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9