LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

The effect of story titles and other minor ramblings

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2
barretthunter
Male Author

England
#11 | Posted: 25 Sep 2010 14:38
I agree with Sarah89 and rollin. I don't like overly suggestive titles and the word "naughty" positively turns me off. It suggests some simpering matron unconvincingly pretending to be a schoolgirl or the male equivalent. When writing, I enjoy thinking up titles that are a bit mysterious ("The Castle", "Strict Islam", "The Schooling") or contain hidden clues, references or puns: "A Snake in the Grass", "East Meets West", "A Return to India", "Breaking in", "Hunting the Hinds". I'd pick a story to read with a mysterious title that intrigued me over something called "Naughty Suzy Gets Spanked" any day. Apologies to anyone who has actually written a story with that title!

It's interesting to compare viewer numbers for stories on this site and in "Flaming Cheeks". Some stories take off in one but not in the other: I think it may be simply that people note how many hits the story has had as a recommendation, so you get the Big Mo or you don't, plus especially on FC, because of the layout, if a story attracts comments that helps. I've noticed on that site I've written a story which apparently sank without trace; then someone commented on it, taking it to the top of the list; and then loads of other people read it!

Of course we all have our own particular hot spots. I notice that stories with any mention of nurses or of schools tend to do well on this site. I'll tend to favour stories that appear to mention schools (as long as they're not evidently all-male) or policewomen. Other factors of course are who wrote the thing (and when trying someone completely unfamiliar, their pen name counts for something in much the same way as the story title does) and the length: as I like flopsybunny's stuff, for example, I'll happily start on a long story by her, but when trying out someone new I'd rather select something short, as the actress said...

runcy
Male Author

England
#12 | Posted: 25 Sep 2010 14:52
I believe that Potterstoke has a valid point, and for the Picture Story Challenge, having the stories on a number basis only, rather than titles, would have stopped people homing in on key words.

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#13 | Posted: 25 Sep 2010 17:14
I think the title is a key part of the story, but I'm disappointed if substantial numbers of people have voted without sampling all the stories.

Sebastian
Male Member

USA
#14 | Posted: 25 Sep 2010 22:31
I certainly hope that everyone who had voted, did read all of the stories. I never go by title on any story. One never knows about a story just by the title. I have read stories in the library and the story was different than the title. The story did not go as far as the title might have indicated. A good story but a little disappointing.

flowerchild
Female Author

USA
#15 | Posted: 25 Sep 2010 23:58
I read every single story, because I didn't feel it was fair to vote, if i hadn't read every story. The Title is always a good "introductory point." however, its always a hard point for me, when writing I mean. I do feel that people are influenced by the title, only because some of what I write is read substantially more than others, and it always seems to be the ones that i vascilated back and forth about the titles, and invariably seemed to comeup with one I wasn't particularly happy with. sigh. As fore lenghth, I write until I am satisfied, and sometimes the words pour out, and sometimes they are finished in a minimal amount of time.

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#16 | Posted: 26 Sep 2010 08:08
Aside from the serials (the Spank Shop & Phi Gamma Beta) I try to make the title fit the story, but not be too suggestive or silly at the same time.

potterstoke
Male Author

England
#17 | Posted: 26 Sep 2010 16:36
All of the responses to my original post are interesting, so thank you all.

I imagine, especially for the contest, the titles are for some written with appeal in mind. Clearly some writers (and readers) see the title to be an integral part of the finished article. I also assumed all writers want to do well in a contest and by well that means the story being liked and receiving votes. This in turn means being read more frequently which means attaching an inticing 'hook' in the form of a title. Those voting should perhaps only do so if they read all of the stories, (good on you flowerchild) otherwise the contest becomes flawed through selectivity based on - you know where this is going - suggestive titles.

When I write it is primarily for my own enjoyment, if others enjoy what I write then that is a bonus but not one I consider. Titles are therfore for me largely irrelevant, which is why I considered no titles for the contest, as 'runcy' picked up on, being a fair option. But I sense that this may be a step too far towards a conclusion so I will gracefully withdrawer.

Jacqueline2
Female Author

Scotland
#18 | Posted: 26 Sep 2010 18:07
I agree totally that the title of a story should relate to the story itself. I like titles that intrigue me (without necessarily being explicit) but I suspect part of the problem for a readership at large, particularly newer ones, is that the sheer number of titles available can make it difficult to know where to start. In such cases a title such as "A naughty schoolgirl is punished" at least gives the new reader a clue as to the contents!
As always, of course, the variety of readers with differing expectations makes it impossible to keep everybody happy!

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2

Online now: Members - 5 : Guests - 17
cvsasho, Flavius, lintbunny, MikeBoyce, WhiteWhale7
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9