LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

The effect of story titles and other minor ramblings

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»
potterstoke
Male Author

England
#1 | Posted: 23 Sep 2010 15:18
Having looked at some of the Picture Story Challenge stories I recognise that a suggestive title seems to induce higher viewing though not necessarily retain a connection with the storyline. A good marketing ploy some may say. Unrelated to the contest itself, do other readers here feel more enticed by a title such as "Nannies...." or "Aunt/Uncle..." rather than others? Is the length of the story important? With regard to the contest it seems to me (humble as I am) that to be fair with regard these stories they should not be given a title so that they have no implied direction or connotation, and then let the reader decide. Lastly, I was wondering what the most popular gender combinations are and how popular (or otherwise) the introduction of sexual activities are? I'm relatively new here so I hope my ramblings don't offend.

cheery
Male Author

Scotland
#2 | Posted: 23 Sep 2010 15:51
No, we love ramblings here Potterstoke, as long as you come to no real conclusions.

blimp
Male Author

England
#3 | Posted: 23 Sep 2010 15:58
I have noticed how titles can increase viewing figures. I am sure the word "naughty"in the title helps! I think a title such as "A Naughty Schoolgirl gets her Bare Bottom Smacked" whilst a trifle on the literal side would attract a few extra readers. Personally I like titles which add something to the story or are particularly apt.

Yes that is true Cheery! You are okay as long as you don't come to any conclusions!

rollin
Male Member

USA
#4 | Posted: 23 Sep 2010 17:46
It goes against the grain for me to choose a title based upon marketing considerations. If I did I would be doing as Mr. Blimp suggests. I choose my titles to reflect something that concerns the story line in a major way, or the main character. So from me you get "Anne of Wulfstedt" or "LaForge", not "a Princess Gets Birched in Public" or "A Strange Village whereYoung Women volunteer for a Switching". But the reader learns the connection only by reading the story, not because I laid it out in the title, and I'm not going to change that. But I mean really, do we have to say "naughty" in the title to boost readership? This is a spanking library here. Everybody's naughty.

Guy
Male Author

USA
#5 | Posted: 23 Sep 2010 23:00
potterstoke:
Is the length of the story important?

Yes, I think that "size matters" but we should probably postpone this discussion (and any other discussion that might get specific to a particular contest story) until after voting is closed.

potterstoke:
With regard to the contest...that to be fair with regard these stories they should not be given a title so that they have no implied direction or connotation, and then let the reader decide.

I disagree. The title is an important part of the creative "package" that we vote on. So of course contest stories should include titles. ...and of course the title should properly relate the the story if the writer expects to get a good score from this particular stern- but-fair reader.

Guy

cheery
Male Author

Scotland
#6 | Posted: 24 Sep 2010 09:46
As a good all round title how about -

"The boy with a girl's bottom" ?

Sarah89
Female Author

USA
#7 | Posted: 24 Sep 2010 14:32
I understand the appeal, but I personally am not a fan of literal, overly suggestive titles. I just don't find titles such as "Naughty Girl Gets Spanked" original or intriguing. And if the title is cliche, the story doesn't sound as promising to me and I'm much less likely to click on it. Like Rollin said, this is a spanking library, so it's kind of unnecessary to have those kinds of titles, even if it does boost the view count a little.

Instead, I like titles that relate to the plot or characters of the story instead of just the spanking. This shows that, while it is a spanking story, it has more to it than just spanking. Stories that have a clever plot and characters in addition to a good spanking are such a joy to find.

For length, I don't have a huge preference. The only things I don't really care for are super short stories (as in under 500 words) or wordy serials with over twenty parts.

TheEnglishMaster
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#8 | Posted: 24 Sep 2010 18:59
rollin:
the reader learns the connection only by reading the story

Yes! My favourite titles are those whose meaning or significance may not be immediately apparent, but which give the reader a moment of 'Oh! I see!' later, like a puzzle piece falling satisfyingly into place.

When this isn't possible or appropriate, a title should simply convey or summarise a key aspect of plot, character, setting or theme.

I agree that 'streetwalker' titles, aimed at view-maximisation, shouldn't be necessary: every item's spankful here.

swishswitch
Male Author

England
#9 | Posted: 24 Sep 2010 19:32
Seems to me that if you manipulate the title you will win some and lose some. But you compromise something of yourself if you do so. An intriguing question in all this is are you writing for yourself or an audience. The best works, to my way of thinking, are the ones where the author has revealed something of themselves. The agonies such authors must then endure of acceptance or indifference, adulation or faint praise are the heart of the human condition; and the bigger the heart the better the story. Pity the poor poet whose viewing numbers are as sparse as the lines submitted.

cheery
Male Author

Scotland
#10 | Posted: 25 Sep 2010 09:51
Writing can be a window or a mirror and usually both, even a shopping list can say something about ourselves in it's style and content. What's really interesting is that we can gather in this musty corner of the library and discuss arcane points of literature amongst the dusty tomes and broken sticks while dear old Miss Thrashbottom snores contentedly, false teeth in her lap and a hand curled around a half empty bottle of sweet sherry, dreaming of all those bottoms she once spanked. Where else but here?

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»

Online now: Members - 6 : Guests - 9
Billtu, etbyrd, luther, markert, tantrarav, WilliamAllen
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9