#21 | Posted: 21 Oct 2022 15:37
So glad that you are back Pim, I lo e your stories

pim8parnell
Female Author

England
#22 | Posted: 22 Oct 2022 19:17
Capstan

Aww Ty that's really sweet of you

I have submitted my first new story to be 'moderated' so watch this space.

Back on topic -

For a long time I used to snicker (can't use the other word because of the racial slurr in the middle of it) at the use of 'pants' for outer garments for legs - we Brits would generally know them as 'trousers' - for us pants are the same as underwear! So going out in your new pants means something different to us Brits!

I also like the fact that we call them knickers because as a small child we were brought up to believe that 'knickers' was a slightly rude word - all be it a mild one - as kids under about 10 would atest the words 'bum' 'willy' 'poo' 'knickers' 'fart' all elicit a giggle from the under 10's because bodily functions are funny - to them.

Personally I prefer to call my female undergarments 'bra and knickers' my male undergarments 'vest and pants' (BTW what we call a vest goes under your shirt not on top of it. I think Police anti-stab Vests are called that in the UK because they go over your head rather than put on like a jacket). Under a suit jacket of a posh(expensive) is worn a 'waistcoat' or is worn sometimes with a formal black 'tuxedo' they are also worn as a part of formal wear in the Officers Mess for formal dinners in the British Army, Royal Air Force, and Royal Marines and in the Royal Navy the Officers Mess is called the 'Wardroom'.

On a naval or military establishment there are usually two or three Messes:

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mess#United_Kingdom][/url]
Thank you Wikipedia!

Different ranks have different arrangements, I have been a guest at a Sergeant's Mess, (Sergeants are non-commissioned officers. they rose through the ranks to become a Sergeant rather than just going in as an Officer (after training of course).

Although my Grandfather served in the RAF its something as a civilian (IE not military) that I know very little about. I really ought to find out more esp if I going write more Charlotte and James stuff. I personally have never served but my father was a career Police Officer (30 years) so I have a huge respect for uniformed professionals generally.

I am but a failed at most things sometime writer and artist so please excuse me if I have explained things totally wrong.

xx
pim

PGreenham
Male Member

England
SUBSCRIBER

#23 | Posted: 23 Oct 2022 00:25
You might like to try The Donald Smithson series under my author name. Plenty of wifes getting spanked/caned in front of their husbands by a professional disciplinarian! PG

AlanBarr
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#24 | Posted: 23 Oct 2022 10:34
pim8parnell:
For a long time I used to snicker (can't use the other word because of the racial slurr in the middle of it)

As both words appear to have exactly the same meaning, using both is probably a bit redundant anyway. On the other hand, I'm not sure I agree with your logic. According to that line of reasoning, it would be impossible to refer to Scunthorpe in polite conversation!

Geoffrey
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#25 | Posted: 23 Oct 2022 11:07
And i believe certain "net nannies" have actually deleted the word Scunthorpe for just that reason--in fact, now I recall, it was a search engine in a "child friendly" browser refusing to look for that town.

Geoffrey Stirling.

BashfulBob
Male Author

Ireland
SUBSCRIBER

#26 | Posted: 23 Oct 2022 12:31
Geoffrey:
And i believe certain "net nannies" have actually deleted the word Scunthorpe for just that reason--in fact, now I recall, it was a search engine in a "child friendly" browser refusing to look for that town.

I once had an email blocked because it referenced 'Nigeria'. The software was apparently sophisticated enough to add an extra 'g' before being offended, yet was unaware of the existence of the sixth most populous country in the world.

Back to topic: this thread has made me realise that my stories must be very irritating to people on both sides of the Atlantic. Although adhering to British spelling, being Irish I tend to use British and North American terms almost interchangeably. Maybe it is because we have close contacts in both the UK and USA/Canada due to migration, or maybe it is exposure to both cultures through television and cinema, but although aware that certain terms are viewed as either British or American, I was unaware that others are also. In my lexicon, 'bottom' and 'bum' refer to the same thing,and can to some extent be used interchangeably, but 'bottom' is a polite term whereas 'bum' is slightly rude. 'Butt' comes in somewhere between 'bottom' and 'bum', as does 'ass', whereas 'arse' is really rude. Having to bare one's bum in my mind more embarrassing than having to bare one's bottom.

I now realise that what I thought were precise but subtle differences in the use of language are actually just a source of irritation to readers.

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#27 | Posted: 23 Oct 2022 13:24
Geoffrey:

The North Devon village of Westward Ho! was banned for similarly idiotic reasons....

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#28 | Posted: 23 Oct 2022 13:31
pim8parnell:
I always thought an Ass was a type of donkey!

Can't remember who wrote this but I've always rather enjoyed it:

When I sit with my ass
On the ass of my ass
The thought often enters my mind
That though most of my ass
Is in front of my ass
The rest of my ass is behind.

DianaMiller
Female Author

Netherlands
#29 | Posted: 23 Oct 2022 13:38
Similar to BashfulBob, I use American and and British terms interchangeably. I try to stick to one or the other in stories but I probably mess up from time to time. I mostly use British spelling because that's what I learned in school and that's how I set my browser's spell check, but I've heard so much American English through tv I know I use a lot of American terms as well.

And I thought 'bum' was a cuter and more innocent alternative for 'butt', oops! I also thought 'arse' was the common go-to term in Ireland. I definitely hung out with the wrong kind of Irishmen

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#30 | Posted: 23 Oct 2022 15:57
I tend to use the proper (i.e., American) terms and spelling for things, although an occasion "bum" does make it into my work. The valudators always seem to mangle my spelling, though, by converting to the (much inferior) British. What is it with al those unnecessary "u"s anyway?

Page  Page 3 of 5: «« 1 2 3 4 5 »»

Online now: Members - 6 : Guests - 7
AlanBarr, markk, spankedotknz, ThomasPetersen, Timdod99, tocciek
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9