The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

British Authors

Page  Page 2 of 5: «« 1 2 3 4 5 »»
Caddiejo
Female Member

England
SUBSCRIBER

#11 | Posted: 13 Oct 2022 12:20
So long as it’s not the words ‘ass’ or ‘arse’. The use of either kills a spanking story for me.

Moody
Male Member

Germany
SUBSCRIBER

#12 | Posted: 14 Oct 2022 09:55
I am from Germany. At school we learned English English and our female German English teachers held the Oxford conscience dictionary in our face if we deviate from it, it is wrong. Just like in German where the Duden decided whats wrong and what's correct.
Torwarts the end of my school career we got an English man as English teacher.
He said its up to us if we write color or colour but if we decide to use American English we need to be consitent. First liine color and second line flavour is a no go. In that case he would decide American or English Englsh for us and not neccessarily in our favor ;)
You could even discuss test results with him. He more than once said OK its commonly used this way but it would be wrong according to the rules but English is not a ead language and he will accept it as correct. The discussion had to be done in English though. Lots of practice for a few percent ;)

Geoffrey
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#13 | Posted: 14 Oct 2022 10:32
To my mind, one of the fun things about writing spankerotica is the ability to use words and phrases that would be used, or thought, by the protagonists in the light of their geographical location or provenance.

Thus the Englishman would tell the American girl to bare her bum whilst she would know that he meant her to show her ass or butt. The end result, is of course, the same.

Geoffrey Stirling.

mobile_carrot
Male Author

England
#14 | Posted: 14 Oct 2022 13:04
Question for Moody (or any other German speakers)

German, as many people will know, has three genders, male, female and neuter. Some words are gender according to their ending, any German noun ending in - chen is neuter. So "the girl" is "das Madchen" (with an unlaut on the a).

Now if you go on to talk further about the girl, do you use "es" (it) or "sie" (her) as German is usually very logical and everything in the sentence has to agree?

I can't write spanko stories in German but I did use this concept in my "Rosie In Space" story where the title character meets a race of being which does actually have three genders.

opb
Male Author

England
#15 | Posted: 14 Oct 2022 16:31
Tiredny:
And for some strange reason unshaven, derelicts show up frequently in stories written by Brits. Further, they show up at the weirdest times!

That's strange, there's a bearded character called Ollie Patbotham who makes an occasional appearance in my stories.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#16 | Posted: 14 Oct 2022 17:56
@opb

Some character or other named "Rick" often appears in mine, but (unshaven or not) he's no derelict and always the hero. Of course these are American stories (therefore using all the PROPER terms for things that Saabman, for some reason or other, seeks to avoid).

pim8parnell
Female Author

England
#17 | Posted: 16 Oct 2022 20:18
Caddiejo:
So long as it’s not the words ‘ass’ or ‘arse’. The use of either kills a spanking story for me.

I always thought an Ass was a type of donkey!

I have heard it said that the UK and US are two nations divided by a language!

Going forward I am going to try to explain any terms that are not generally used outside the UK in brackets and italics.

I am trying to work harder on my craft,
xxx

pim

Often123
Male Member

USA
#18 | Posted: 16 Oct 2022 21:32
pim8parnell:
I have heard it said that the UK and US are two nations divided by a language!

That idea was from Winston Churchill and he was right.

Tiredny
Male Author

USA
#19 | Posted: 20 Oct 2022 03:39
opb:
That's strange, there's a bearded character called Ollie Patbotham who makes an occasional appearance in my stories.

Well, opb, the serious issue is whether you refer to Ollie Patbotham as a "bum". Bums turn up in stories written by Brits at the strangest times. Often once knickers are lowered, shabam! - up pops an unshaven derelict.

opb
Male Author

England
#20 | Posted: 21 Oct 2022 09:03
I can confirm that Mr Patbotham, although possibly disreputable, given his penchant for writing spanking stories, and indeed being unshaven, is certainly neither a bum nor yet a tramp on either side of the Atlantic.

This topic does, however, illustrate quite neatly the phenomenon of popping the bubble of suspension of disbelief. We read merrily along, allowing ourselves to be immersed in the world the author has created, and then we are bushwhacked by this word or action in the text which makes either some inappropriate image appear in the mind or it clashes with the sure knowledge that this imaginary character just wouldn't behave like that.
All of a sudden the reader has to work again to reinflate that precious bubble.

Page  Page 2 of 5: «« 1 2 3 4 5 »»

Online now: Members - 2 : Guests - 2
Alanrg, stevenr
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9