"Noone" bothers me. Am I alone?

Page  Page 4 of 6: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »»
Guy
Male Author

USA
#31 | Posted: 31 Aug 2014 15:32
wooz1111:
Okay, I've been called a dumbass

Should dumbass more properly be "dumb ass" or "dumb-ass"? Or should that be an entirely different thread?

cindy2
Female Author

USA
#32 | Posted: 12 Oct 2014 18:27
Perhaps a synonym such as blockhead is suitable, which avoids the problem entirely. Or, especially in formal writing, "He knowest not the difference between his ass and his elbow."

rachelredbum
Female Author

USA
#33 | Posted: 12 Oct 2014 18:32
the bookful blockhead ignorantly read
with loads of learned lumber in his head

-Alexander Pope

TheEnglishMaster
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#34 | Posted: 12 Oct 2014 20:31
According to Wikipedia (it came up first, OK?):

"American users (COCA) prefer the spelling no one to either noone or no-one by more than 500 to 1.
UK users (BNC) prefer no-one to noone 50 to 1 and no one to noone 12 to 1."

'Someone' and 'anyone' are OK; it's the double 'o' in noone that's confusing, but not necessarily "wrong"(!!!!!) as such.

When I see it I think of the Cardiff City winger Craig Noone, which doesn't help.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#35 | Posted: 12 Oct 2014 20:45
TheEnglishMaster:
"American users (COCA) prefer the spelling no one to either noone or no-one by more than 500 to 1. UK users (BNC) prefer no-one to noone 50 to 1 and no one to noone 12 to 1."

Obviously, since we American users are much closer to being unanimous despite our disparate ethnic heritage (and not to mention much more numerous), our preferred usage of "no one" should be considered "right." There - case closed.

islandcarol
Female Author

USA
#36 | Posted: 12 Oct 2014 23:09
If I see noone in text, I assume there is a malfunctioning space bar because that word can not be found in an American dictionary.

bendover
Male Author

USA
#37 | Posted: 12 Oct 2014 23:40
Wouldn't it be strange grammar if we didn't bastardize the English language with contractions?

Are not you going to the game?
Is not that very strange?
Can not you do that yourself

They don't sound right, but they're all correct grammar according to what they mean. Now I know why they invented them.

wooz1111
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#38 | Posted: 13 Oct 2014 02:57
Cindy sayeth:

Perhaps a synonym such as blockhead is suitable, which avoids the problem entirely. Or, especially in formal writing, "He knowest not the difference between his ass and his elbow."

Strangely enough, during my duty as a soldier, my sergeant would oftentimes make this statement:

"I don't wanna see nothing but assholes and elbows until you're finished and it better be fast."

Usually, it was neither. Never was I called a "blockhead" and I would betcha Pinocchio wasn't either, even though he truly was. However, in deference to your remark, I do often refer to myself as a dumbass during a golf game. Sometimes my shots are indicative of a true blockhead, thank you very much.

wooz1111
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#39 | Posted: 13 Oct 2014 03:07
Guy asks:

"Should dumbass more properly be "dumb ass" or "dumb-ass"? Or should that be an entirely different thread?"

Guy, because of your intelligence and wit, I have an acronym I'm sure you can easily decipher: HFM.

Yes, this could definitely be an entirely different thread.

yenz
Male Author

Denmark
#40 | Posted: 14 Oct 2014 12:05
No one has mentioned here, that the reason, why noone offends the eye, may be because, the double o has its own special sound, and that goes for co-operate too.
By the way: When I wrote 'noone', the spell check underlined it with red.

Page  Page 4 of 6: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »»

Online now: Members - 2 : Guests - 11
MrEdwards, TheRealMrT
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9