LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

"Noone" bothers me. Am I alone?

Page  Page 2 of 6: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »»
ChardT
Male Author

SUBSCRIBER

#11 | Posted: 27 Aug 2014 13:34
I don't think I've ever seen it written as one word like that before.

tysout
Male Author

Scotland
#12 | Posted: 28 Aug 2014 10:17
I totally agree Guy.
I've never seen it myself but if I did I'd be re-reading the sentence a few times to try and make sense.
What a strange thing to do.
I've heard of cutting corners but...

opb
Male Author

England
#13 | Posted: 28 Aug 2014 11:47
tysout:
I've heard of cutting corners but...

Think of all the ink it saves not having to write that hyphen though

FiBlue
Female Author

USA
#14 | Posted: 28 Aug 2014 13:28
opb:
Think of all the ink it saves not having to write that hyphen though

Ah yes... much simpler to just put a space instead.
This discussion is interesting. I have never seen "noone" or "no-one" in a book, just in this library.

catmama
Female Member

USA
#15 | Posted: 28 Aug 2014 16:45
Old teacher here. No one is correct. It doesn't require a hyphen. Noone is incorrect.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#16 | Posted: 29 Aug 2014 01:25
I was always taught "no one." Mrs Grunden, Miss Stahlman, Miss Ramsey, Mrs. Mackenbach, Mrs. Bauer, Mrs. Sunderman, Miss Duffy, Mz. Drummond (ah, the lovely Mz Ruta Drummond!), Mr. Long. Mrs. Buchanon, "Prof" Kohler and Mr. Howard can't all be wrong. Not to mention our own catmama.

jools:
Personally I prefer no-one or no one

I don't play favorites either.

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#17 | Posted: 29 Aug 2014 10:32
'No one' is what I was taught, too. Not totally logical, perhaps - why not 'any one' and 'some one'? - but then who said the English language, proud possessor of the most deranged spelling in the world, had to be logical?

FiBlue
Female Author

USA
#18 | Posted: 29 Aug 2014 13:17
PhilK:
why not 'any one' and 'some one'?

Well, it depends on how it is used. How about this sentence?

If any one of you causes harm to anyone else, you won't be sitting down for a week!

In the first instance, you could argue that 'one' is redundant and the sentence might be clearer without it, but I like it there for emphasis.

jools
Female Author

New_Zealand
#19 | Posted: 29 Aug 2014 13:34
FiBlue:
If any one of you causes harm to anyone else, you won't be sitting down for a week!

Spoken like a true top! Go Fi!!!! In all seriousness tho, what Fi has exampled is totally true and totally grammatically correct (excuse all the adverbs but I know I need spanking). Also correct is, 'No one person can proclaim that no-one is innocent of this offence. I expect the guilty person, or persons, to report to my office for their comeuppance!'

Graves94
Male Author

USA
#20 | Posted: 29 Aug 2014 13:54
I don't know why, but every time I use "no one" I invariably think that there is, or was, or should be a one word version. I even occasionally go searching through dictionaries to find it, certain that it has existed for many years, but I have yet to track it down.

As for the hyphenated version, I think that is a cop out (or cop-out) appealing to those who are into cheap thrills.

Page  Page 2 of 6: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »»

Online now: Members - 5 : Guests - 4
bigdad, daveyboy, Heroth, terabit, whoseturn
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9