LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

readers becoming writers

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»
dicyverges
Male Member

Italy
#1 | Posted: 13 Aug 2013 13:15
I would to pose a question about the particular genre of literature we love.
It's obvious that what we read has the power of arousing us, giving the words (written, concretely presents in the page) to our particular fantasies....So I ask to myself: if some sentences, or phrases, composed of some exacts words can excite our fantasy...why do ourselves cannot write them enjoyng in reading them after writing them....who more than ourselves can know what we are looking for?....
I have one possible answer (i would discute with you about): The matter is that the enjoyment consists essentially in discovering that someone (the writer we like to read) share with us his fantasy about spanking themes

DLandhill
Male Author

USA
#2 | Posted: 13 Aug 2013 13:41
dicyverges:
So I ask to myself: if some sentences, or phrases, composed of some exacts words can excite our fantasy...why do ourselves cannot write them enjoyng in reading them after writing them....who more than ourselves can know what we are looking for?....

Who says that we ourselves cannot write such sentences, phrases, and stories? I can tell you that I for one was a reader of spanking fiction well before I was a writer of it, and the same is true for pretty much all authors of spanking fiction that I have discussed the matter with. I can tell you also that I for one enjoy reading and rereading my own stories -- often more than most other people's. Is that surprising? After all, who else could better tailor a story for me!

Some readers do not feel comfortable writing. Some have no knack for doing so. Some are afraid that it requires huge talents or would be judged harshly. To these last i would say "Give it a try! Most people here are welcoming and do not engage in harsh criticism, and many good spanking stories are written by those who are not literary geniuses."

Guy
Male Author

USA
#3 | Posted: 13 Aug 2013 13:58
If you are a true spanko, you probably have a private fantasy life. My spanking fantasies started early in my childhood and continue today.

What is a fantasy if not a story?

So the story creation has already been done for you. It is really a small jump from having (and privately enjoying) that fantasy playing inside your head to writing it down so that it can be shared by others. So perhaps we aren't really writers but simply scribes?

Guy

bendover
Male Author

USA
#4 | Posted: 13 Aug 2013 18:13
I enjoy reading my own stories once in a while. I find myself amazed what what I penned, and the various scenarios I came up with. This along with other writers here at the library. I started by writing with pen and pencil on notepads quite some time ago. However, I only started writing spanking stories when I came to the LSF, and I'm thankful for it. It's truly a release for me, and a lot of gratitude for the comments I get, and knowing that I made someone smile.

I say go ahead and write something. The library offers help in that area as well.

thereader0987
Male Author

USA
#5 | Posted: 13 Aug 2013 18:27
I too was a reader before I was a writer. It was the great writing of the Library that made me want to contribute my own stories.

nswitch/thereader0987

SNM
Male Author

USA
#6 | Posted: 13 Aug 2013 22:26
You can't write in any genre without reading it. And the more you read, the better you can become.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#7 | Posted: 13 Aug 2013 22:45
The more one reads the better chance one has of being a writer simply because one learns how to write mostly by reading. Yes the reader and author likely do have a shared fantasy in a way, but the author has no way of knowing exactly what type of fantasy plays out in a readers mind.

A lot of the stories I write I know what makes me like and get excited over them, but that may or may not be the ones that the reader likes. I used to write a story, delete it and then re-write it a month later. Now I just put them on site instead of deleting...LOL

I think anyone with a fair understanding of English can write a story, the question is only whether the new ones who try writing have the same thought, or give up trying because of one or two rejections.

Kia
Female Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#8 | Posted: 13 Aug 2013 23:34
When I read my own writing, I'm reliving the creation process rather than being able to just enjoy the story. My fantasies are vague ideas and emotions, with a few loosely-defined characters, events, or bits of dialogue to give them body. The process of fleshing out context, providing continuity, etc. is still rather difficult for me. When I read my own writing, I find it hard not to reflect on that process or try to improve the "end result." I have found that I occasionally get some enjoyment from reading things that I'd written later- months to years after the initial draft- when I've had time to forget the details.

I also think there's something to discovering novel ways of phrasing things or slight twists on our private fantasies in someone else's stories that makes them particularly enjoyable. Just as the predictability can make self-spanking is ineffective, reading my own writing has limited appeal because I know exactly what is happening, when and why. Stories written by others offer a bit of unpredictability that can be enlightening and exciting.

Underling
Male Author

England
#9 | Posted: 14 Aug 2013 02:46
I think you answered your own question, dicyverges.

A lot of the pleasure for me in reading a story is getting an insight into the author's fantasies, and finding that they're closely aligned to mine just adds to that pleasure - it's a little like enjoying a chat with a friend about a shared interest. On that topic, I do sincerely believe that both the writer of a story and its readers play a part in bringing it to life. If you're just reviewing your own work, you're missing out on one half of that process.

I also agree with Kia that perhaps we're too close to the stories that we ourselves have written. Creating them can involve a lot of sweat and many reworks, and when we re-read them we're too aware of the bones beneath the skin. For that reason if I do revisit a piece of my own I find it more enjoyable to rediscover something I wrote a long time ago, when that creative process has been forgotten and I can just appreciate the story for what it is the way other readers do.

I find the same is true of pictures, by the way. I could draw whatever scenario I wanted, but although I might look back on a finished piece and be pleased with how it turned out I don't get the same charge as I would from coming across a similarly themed drawing by someone else.

Malcatraz
Male Author

USA
#10 | Posted: 14 Aug 2013 17:23
As a new author at the ripe old age of 63, I also find that my fantasies and real life experiences are plenty of fodder for more than a few stories. I finally have found the courage to try my hand at writing. Now if I could only figure out the mechanics of actually posting one, I would be in good shape.

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»

Online now: Members - 4 : Guests - 7
curioserto, john4, rabbitrun, ShelbyH
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9