LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Commenting on fiction and poems

Page  Page 2 of 3: «« 1 2 3 »»
rollin
Male Member

USA
#11 | Posted: 8 Sep 2012 19:59
I've always found it interesting that some readers comment on the actions and motivations of the characters, what they deserve or do not deserve and what they might do in the future, as if they were real. It's as if someone commented on an episode of Seinfeld by saying Jerry should really marry Elaine and can't understand why he doesn't---like it's Jerry's fault. Now that's fine with me because I think sub silentio they are really commenting on the story, but as literary commentary it is sometimes odd. So if someone says "he should have used the strap--she got off too lightly", that reflects either a criticism of the plot or maybe just the personal preferences of that reader. But as they say, "it's all good."

potterstoke
Male Author

England
#12 | Posted: 8 Sep 2012 20:05
Thanks for all your inputs. flopsy was right with regard to the principal point of my original post, which if bendover is right in paraphrasing Februs is a possible issue to be made clear (shouldn't have to be but there we are).

Don't get me wrong, adverse or critical comments are not a concern to me. As has been said, a comment is a reaction to the piece of fiction. On one level then all comments are constructive. I just felt 'uncomfortable' with one or two comments but I will put those to one side in the future.

tiptopper
Male Author

USA
#13 | Posted: 8 Sep 2012 20:13
flopsybunny:
I think the key point raised here by potterstoke is that some comments are made by people who react to the story concerned as though it is some real life account, instead of a work of fiction. They then get all worked up, perhaps going on to state that the characters in the story are guilty of breaching various legislation etc I think this is true, having seen plenty of evidence of it in some of the comments made.

I agree with Flopsy as I have gotten comments about my stories as if they are fact rather than fiction particularly about legal points. Also I have been sending in stories and Wild Wild World items from from MR magazine for quite some time and have been amused from the start that people often respond to them as if the events described in them are happening today rather than a half century ago.

I remember once that in high school, a long time ago, during a class discussion about some obscure subject the teacher stopped and remarked that it was really strange that people could get so passionate about insignificant minutiae.

Janine
Female Validater

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#14 | Posted: 8 Sep 2012 20:16
barretthunter:
I commented enthusiastically about one fellow-writer's story but pointed out she'd managed to get the girl's jeans off before taking her shoes off, to which she replied, "Woops - I never noticed that!".

LOL That would be my story, "Appointment With Sir." And I did appreciate BH's comment at the time--as a writer I am always open to constructive criticism from readers. We can all learn from our mistakes. For example, I now make sure my spankee characters NEVER wear shoes in my stories!

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#15 | Posted: 8 Sep 2012 22:05
Janine:
he'd managed to get the girl's jeans off before taking her shoes

Maybe they were baggy jeans.

bendover
Male Author

USA
#16 | Posted: 9 Sep 2012 01:22
tiptopper:
amused from the start that people often respond to them as if the events described in them are happening today rather than a half century ago.

Tiptopper you got me on that one. I do that with the letters all the time. Not that I believe they happened yesterday, but my comments are often critical to the person who signed the letter, or something that happened in the letter to that person I thought was cruel or abusive. Usually I start out with something about 'if this is really true.'

So, I'm a little bit guilty there, too.

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#17 | Posted: 9 Sep 2012 05:03
rollin:
I've always found it interesting that some readers comment on the actions and motivations of the characters, what they deserve or do not deserve and what they might do in the future, as if they were real. It's as if someone commented on an episode of Seinfeld by saying Jerry should really marry Elaine and can't understand why he doesn't---like it's Jerry's fault. Now that's fine with me because I think sub silentio they are really commenting on the story, but as literary commentary it is sometimes odd. So if someone says "he should have used the strap--she got off too lightly", that reflects either a criticism of the plot or maybe just the personal preferences of that reader. But as they say, "it's all good."

But aren't all these comments about characters' behavior and motivation understood to have been made within the fictional context of the story?

I'm rather flattered whenever a commenter treats a character of mine as an individual (albeit a fictional one) with his/her own attitudes and beliefs--because that's how I envision him/her, a character isn't supposed to be merely a literary version of myself.

IMHO it's certainly valid to speculate on whether or not the television character of Jerry Seinfeld should have married fellow character Elaine Benes, or whether he'll do so in their future, just as it's valid to speculate on whether or not Rhett Butler and his wife Scarlett were ever reunited following the conclusion to GONE WITH THE WIND.

If I'm discussing an author's characters in any in-depth manner, they've made an impression on me--which AFAIC is a positive reflection on his/her ability RE characterization... --C.K.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#18 | Posted: 9 Sep 2012 05:52
CrimsonKidCK:
If I'm discussing an author's characters in any in-depth manner, they've made an impression on me--which AFAIC is a positive reflection on his/her ability RE characterization...

And that is a statement I can agree with fully.

Forget worrying about if some one thinks it is real or not, as long as someone comments the writer has made their point and caused a reaction. Is that not what an author wants? If I comment that the spanker was too severe or mean, or that the kid should run away from home, it has nothing to do with the writer, it is connected to the story only.

I have read stories on here from some very popular writers, where if you check the comments there are very few positive things said. Next thing I know the same writer is back again...why...because they love the reaction their writing creates...and that is likely why they write.

CS

jools
Female Author

New_Zealand
#19 | Posted: 9 Sep 2012 06:13
CrimsonKidCK:
I'm rather flattered whenever a commenter treats a character of mine as an individual (albeit a fictional one) with his/her own attitudes and beliefs--because that's how I envision him/her

I agree! it means the reader has actively engaged with the story and has thought critically about one of more characters. To me, it is a sign of a well written story if a reader finds the characters believable enough to treat as if they were real.

If comments were purely limited to the author's writing techniques, the comments would all become the same after a while. Also readers would be even more reluctant to comment, especially if their opinion has already been stated more than once by others, and if they lack the confidence to make a technical critique about the actual writing.

So, I welcome all types of comments, whether it is about my writing style or about character actions.

potterstoke
Male Author

England
#20 | Posted: 10 Sep 2012 12:12
Thanks one and all for your views. I'll take a few positives from what I originally perceived to be not so much negative as slightly disconcerting comments on my offerings.

The key issue is that conjuring emotive reactions is the work of my characters. So it would seem that their actions, thoughts, and beliefs/values, rather than the plot, are the focus of the types of comments I alluded to in my original post.

Food for thought!!

Page  Page 2 of 3: «« 1 2 3 »»

Online now: Members - 7 : Guests - 8
averam300, DonMichael, nick2911, novak, ntytina, WilliamAllen, yankee
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9