Comments

Page  Page 7 of 9: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »»
Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#61 | Posted: 19 Nov 2011 01:02
jimisim:
I'm sorry if I offended you Blimp-but the original Colonel Blimp was a very conservative, pretty stupid xenophobe as I recall; and the only reason I can think of selecting Botham before Sobers is a blinkered sense of nationalism.

Just for the sake of clarity flopsy doesn't actually have long floppy ears and PinkAngel isn't actually an angel, although she may well be pink, especially when she's been on the sunbed.

So, the blimpster has gone from xenophobe to nationalist, not sure if that's a promotion or not.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#62 | Posted: 19 Nov 2011 01:50
Februs:
Just for the sake of clarity flopsy doesn't actually have long floppy ears and PinkAngel isn't actually an angel

Whaaaaaaat?????????

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#63 | Posted: 19 Nov 2011 01:57
njrick:
Whaaaaaaat?????????

It gets worse, there's no Santa Claus either...

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#64 | Posted: 19 Nov 2011 02:04
Februs:
It gets worse, there's no Santa Claus either...

Aaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!!!!

....and.... the tooth fairy?

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#65 | Posted: 19 Nov 2011 05:28
njrick:
Aaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!!!! ....and.... the tooth fairy?

Sorry njrick....the toothfairy got her cavity filled, but it did no good. so then she was pulled.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#66 | Posted: 19 Nov 2011 05:35
canadianspankee:
Sorry njrick....the toothfairy got her cavity filled, but it did no good. so then she was pulled.

Too bad. I was kinda hoping to have my way with her the next time the flitted around.

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#67 | Posted: 19 Nov 2011 06:57
Seegee:
I recently read a fiction story about the Foreign Legion during WW II, which informed me about something I was previously unaware of. The legion split allegiances during the war. Some of them fought for the Vichy French and others sided with DeGaulle's resistance which was on the allied side. There was a battle fought between two sides of the legion in Africa, it is the only time in the organisation's history that they have ever fought each other.

Thousands of Frenchmen also fought for the Germans on the eastern front, many (although not all) of them as members of the S.S. Charlemagne Division, which ended up being pretty much wiped out helping defend Berlin against overwhelming Soviet forces in April of 1945.

When French Foreign Legion units defending the Bir Hachem strongpoint in north Africa surrendered to the Afrika Korps in June of '42, German general Erwin Rommel, the famed 'Desert Fox,' ignored a directive from Adolf Hitler to summarily execute German members of the Foreign Legion contingent for committing treason.

AFAIK, anyone wearing a French uniform would've had no official status as a combatant at that time since France was formally at peace... --C.K.

Lincoln
Male Author

England
#68 | Posted: 19 Nov 2011 10:55
Sorry to return to cricket - but after all the arguments about all rounders - one who could have been an all time great has sadly died today. Basil D'Oliveira, who was shamefully denied the opportunity to play international cricket by apartheid South Africa, and started playing for England at the age of 33. A great gentleman as well as a fine player.

The memory of him hitting Charlie Griffiths (at that time the fastest "thrower" in the game) straight over his head for six at Headingley will always remain with me. May he rest in peace. At least he got recognition from his country once apartheid ended.

DannySwottem5
Male Member

England
#69 | Posted: 19 Nov 2011 12:03
I echo those sentiments Lincoln. Basil D'Oliveira or " Dolly" as he was affectionately known was a fine cricketer and who knows what might have been if his career had started earlier and was not bedevilled by controversy when politics and posturing interfered with sport.

I recall with fondness his fine knock of 158 at the Oval against the "Old Enemy" in 1968 and not quite so fondly skittling 11 Hampshire players out for a paltry 68 runs in a domestic match.

blimp
Male Author

England
#70 | Posted: 19 Nov 2011 18:01
Februs:
PinkAngel isn't actually an angel

I think that one I had worked out for myself! I am shocked about flopsy though!!

Page  Page 7 of 9: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »»

Online now: Members - 11 : Guests - 5
falstaff101, Februs, Heroth, magegod989, mcfly108, Rosse01, SpankFreak94, steve77, Stramp, tjpros, Velentrius
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9