LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Postive or Negative Comments?

Page  Page 5 of 9: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »»
Jacqueline2
Female Author

Scotland
#41 | Posted: 4 Oct 2011 15:46
I love to get feedback on anything i write .... positive or negative. I can't imagine writing to provoke a negative response .... from a technical perspective i don't think i am good enough to do that! It is hard enough for me to get a story together in the first place without trying to anticipate negative responses! In commenting on others' stories i have to say i don't think i have ever said anything knowingly negative .... like many others, if I don't like the story i simple pass on.

rollin
Male Member

USA
#42 | Posted: 4 Oct 2011 17:50
The discussion has veered from the desirability or appropriateness of "negative" commentary to one about narrative realism, but that's ok. Some negative commentary points out the absence of narrative realism in a story to which others respond, "so what, it's fiction". Being a spanking story site this almost defines the problem. Should writers even worry about narrative realism in a forum where it's a given that spanking is going to figure in the story in one way or another? Is it fair to criticize a writer for throwing in a spanking when it hasn't even been established that this is an appropriate action? I say it is, and I have an essay on this I'm going to post soon. I think this is a fascinating subject for writers and readers alike.

SNM
Male Author

USA
#43 | Posted: 4 Oct 2011 17:59
Speaking as a writer, if you think there's a way that my wordcraft could be improved, I'd appreciate it if you let me know. If I don't know what needs improvement, then I can't work on it. I try to leave very gentle criticism in the comments I post, since I know many writers are sensitive, but for my stories I want you to be honest.

There's only three types of criticism I don't want:

1. This story is not to my taste, therefore it sucks. (Then why are you reading it in the first place?)

2. This story isn't appropriate for the LSF. (The librarians decide what belongs here, not you. If they approved it, then its appropriate.)

3. This story sucks, and I'm not going to tell you why. (Thanks a lot. Asshole.)

Those are the only critiques that I consider unhelpful. Anything else is welcome, and I encourage other writers to be similarly attentive to reader feedback.

CarolinaPaddler
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#44 | Posted: 4 Oct 2011 19:00
It is this writer's opinion that a fiction spanking story is best written when the author has a knowledge or experience can help inform the readers. A spanking story which may be fiction, but has a grain of truth in it. After becoming aware of these post by a person on this board I consider a friend and resource I wanted to comment. Negotiated Sitter Terms has been fun to write and gratifying to see the response.

First I want to say the assistant librarian, Pink Angel did not at anytime request that I remove the serial story part, which has caused such a firestorm. Several including Canadian Spankee were generous in giving advise to keep the story as it first appeared.

When I said there was a grain of truth in the story that is true. I overheard in a supposedly empty beach house a conversation between a teen daughter and her mother who wanted her daughter to wear a tampon instead of a pad. I heard the spanking downstairs when the daughter refused to her mother's request. I felt the need to come up with a spanking wary teen sitee that would be outrageous enough she would balk and be spanked again in the dressing room.

This needed to happen because the real Lauren needed to grow a conscious and admit the hoax to the babysitter.

I am appreciative of the pop up messages from other author's I have received. In particular one that suggested that the mother, daughter tampon scene would have worked better. This person was trying to help me and I want to acknowledge her story direction but keep her name private. After seeing posters reactions to the tampon scene and their numerous pop ups it's inappropriateness I chose to rewrite and change the story.

Much has been said about the posting of negative comments and I would like to weigh in with my opinion on that issue. I read and try to think about what the person who cared enough to leave me a comment is trying to say. I am most enthusiastic about commenting on a story that in some way or direction has given me a new perspective I may have not thought of as a spanking situation. Comments are appreciated and excite from the posts on this forum an author to want to contribute more.

In closing I want to thank all those who have read my story and taken the time to comment. You have made my day! We learn best from each other and I think this is a positive development in this forum and I am proud to be a contributing member to this fine story sight.

BrianV
Male Author

England
#45 | Posted: 4 Oct 2011 19:29
I think Rollin makes a good point. But he states:

Is it fair to criticize a writer for throwing in a spanking when it hasn't even been established that this is an appropriate action?

This needs to be clarified. Certainly just hauling someone over your lap for no reason is dubious writing to say the least. But I think you need to be very careful about that word 'appropriate'. Let me give you an example. A pupil at school gets wrongly accused of something and is sent to see the Head. When the Head asks why he/she did it, the pupil responds 'I didn't.' So the Head says: 'Are you telling me a member of my staff is a liar?'

Is that an appropriate punishment or not?

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#46 | Posted: 4 Oct 2011 19:40
CarolinaPaddler:
I read and try to think about what the person who cared enough to leave me a comment is trying to say. I am most enthusiastic about commenting on a story that in some way or direction has given me a new perspective I may have not thought of as a spanking situation.

This is a excellent statement as to the viewing of any comments, a statement which I have seen written in various ways throughout this discussion. If we are all willing to acknowledge the commenter is not neg about us as a person but something in the story then it may be time to look around and see if we want to change things. If we do not want to change things then we say thanks to the commenter and drop the issue. If we want to change things, then perhaps we say thanks and perhaps ask the commenter ?'s or opinions.

BrianV:

I think "appropriate" is all in the mind of the reader. Everyone of us makes our own mind up about a story.

SNM
Male Author

USA
#47 | Posted: 4 Oct 2011 19:41
BrianV:
This needs to be clarified. Certainly just hauling someone over your lap for no reason is dubious writing to say the least. But I think you need to be very careful about that word 'appropriate'. Let me give you an example. A pupil at school gets wrongly accused of something and is sent to see the Head. When the Head asks why he/she did it, the pupil responds 'I didn't.' So the Head says: 'Are you telling me a member of my staff is a liar?'

Based on autobiographies I've read of people who went to school in nineteenth and early twentieth century Britain? No, that isn't implausible at all.

KJM
Male Author

Brazil
#48 | Posted: 4 Oct 2011 19:54
BrianV:

As far as the Head is concerned, it is. Very few people own their wrong actions, most try to escape the consequences. Unless a very thorough investigation is carried on, the Head will tend to support his staff. I don't know of parents, myself included who didn't commit an unjust act of punishment or two. In fact our stories are full of such acts.

But I disagree that "hauling someone over your lap for no reason is dubious writing to say the least." It's author's decision if an unjust spanking for no reason at all is a part of his/hers story. It's readers decision if he/she likes it or not. Dr. Grace's stories come to mind, a lot of boys and girls are spanked just because. There's also the infamous "maintenance spanking" so dear to DD fans. As a SF fan, I love alternate universes where spankings can and do happen because they are imbedded in the alien culture which could be another example of gratuitous spanking.

BrianV
Male Author

England
#49 | Posted: 4 Oct 2011 20:11
Exactly. Which is why it's impossible for any writer to even think of trying to satisfy so many varied opinions and viewpoints of the readers. Constructive comments are always welcome by the authors. But, as Februs has already stated, this is a site of fiction and fun. For a reader to comment 'that wouldn't happen nowadays' is not, in my opinion, constructive criticism. As SNM stated, rather too explicitly I thought, if you don't like the story then move on. There are so many good stories, and different genres here, that surely most readers will find something to satisfy them.

And where's your essay Rollin?

twisted8
Male Member

USA
#50 | Posted: 4 Oct 2011 20:37
TheEnglishMaster:
We are a broad church: some are up with the bats in the belfry, some in the dark of the crypt, and others prostrate at the bottom of the altar .

Oh Goody! I want to be up in the belfry. The view is much better and its warm. Seats need a little work however. Grin!

Page  Page 5 of 9: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »»

Online now: Members - 7 : Guests - 6
danjackson84, Hector, odin, preston27, rwilliamh, Seabee49, Smachtai
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9