The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Noticeboard /

New contest voting software

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»
Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 15 Sep 2010 05:54
One of the problems with voting on the story challenges/contests is that it's quite difficult to decide where to use your limited number of votes. When I first put the software together I probably wasn't expecting us to get so many entries of such a high overall standard. So, the next challenge we hold, you'll have the capability to assign votes to every entry and assign them a score between 0 and 10.

At the end of each entry there'll be a set of 5 stars and as you move your mouse over them the score will increase. When you have the score which you wish to award displayed, clicking the mouse will enter it into the database. Here is a small fragment of a screengrab to show what it will look like:

cheery
Male Author

Scotland
#2 | Posted: 15 Sep 2010 09:58
Good idea.

jimisim
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#3 | Posted: 15 Sep 2010 11:46
Not sure that I like that idea; it may very well dissuade me from entering as IMO its getting too serious.

flopsybunny
Female Head Librarian

England
SUBSCRIBER

#4 | Posted: 15 Sep 2010 12:30
Well I think it's fantastic! Not only does it look slick, the fact that we will be able to vote for EACH story we read, will in a sense make it LESS competitive. And you WILL enter the next one, Jimi, or I'll pull your ears off and post them through your mouth and then send Miss Thrashbottom round with her biggest whackiest paddle ....

cheery
Male Author

Scotland
#5 | Posted: 15 Sep 2010 13:43
flopsybunny:
then send Miss Thrashbottom round with her biggest whackiest paddle ....

Can I change my mind?

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#6 | Posted: 15 Sep 2010 13:57
jimisim:
Not sure that I like that idea; it may very well dissuade me from entering as IMO its getting too serious.

I'm not sure what you see as serious about it .. it's just making life a little easier for those who are doing the voting in that they don't have to agonise over which couple of stories to vote for but can assign a vote to them all. As far as I'm aware most people see the whole voting process as just a bit of fun and a way to involve the readers in things. If the idea of voting doesn't appeal to you then why not just ignore it?

PinkAngel
Female Assistant Librarian

Scotland
#7 | Posted: 15 Sep 2010 14:00
Well I think it is fab and we are very lucky to have someone who not only has the ability to write this stuff for us but who also puts in the time to ensure that the library is as good as it can be!

corncrake
Female Author

Scotland
#8 | Posted: 15 Sep 2010 14:03
I think it's a great idea. In fact, it works rather like I find myself recording at the moment - so that I know which stories to revisit. I have been rating them all on a 1-10 scale and will re-read anything over a certain value. Not looking forward to rating them (there are so many good ones) on the current system! Thank you.

Guy
Male Author

USA
#9 | Posted: 15 Sep 2010 14:18
As both a reader and at least an occasional entrant, that looks great to me. Thank you!

Guy

jimisim
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#10 | Posted: 15 Sep 2010 15:48
I think that I'm somewhat uncomfortable about assigning a story' nul points' perhaps because I'm not taken with the subject matter, when it is well written and has taken a lot of effort.

I think I'm in a minority here so I'll just go and wait quietly outside Miss Thrashbottom's study for six of the very best. (chance'd be a fine thing.)

BTW Flopsy its rabbits that have big ears you can pull off, although many years ago in the scrum one or two tried without success.

Jimi

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»

Online now: Members - 3 : Guests - 11
Darkzone, misterspanker, trojan1a
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9