The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Noticeboard /

Google

Page  Page 2 of 3: «« 1 2 3 »»
Guy
Male Author

USA
#11 | Posted: 1 Jul 2011 22:00
Februs:
Originally, I was of the opinion that compared to the likes of Microsoft and Apple, Google was in fact one of the good guys.

Google is neither "good" nor "bad". It is simply taking the path that most large public corporations take. Legally speaking, it's officers are answerable to the stockholders, not the public at large. Corporate Google is becoming arbitrary,, secretive, and increasingly divorced from its users.

On the subject of bookmarks:

1) On a computer that I don't own, I would think twice about accessing any spanking site in any manner.

2) On my own computer I first access a special instance of Firefox through an innocent looking but misleading icon on my screen. That copy of Firefox is set up permanently in the "stealth" mode. My spanking sites are bookmarked but difficult to find, buried two innocent-looking menus deep. A serious snooper might eventually stumble onto my bookmarks, but only a forensic expert could uncover my tracks beyond that.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#12 | Posted: 1 Jul 2011 22:28
Well I own the computer and the network it is on but I am going to try in my own manner to see if I can do what Guy suggest with hiding the sites. I am not a techie so will take a while but I will certainly try, maybe simple at first and then going deeper as I experiment. Thanks for the suggestion Guy, it gives me something else to think about.

beth83
Female Author

USA
#13 | Posted: 1 Jul 2011 23:59
Guy:
On my own computer I first access a special instance of Firefox through an innocent looking but misleading icon on my screen. That copy of Firefox is set up permanently in the "stealth" mode. My spanking sites are bookmarked but difficult to find, buried two innocent-looking menus deep.

Guy - how do you do all of that??? Although I live alone, and my favorites are limited to my log-in to AOL, which is password protected, I would love to know how to do all of that.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#14 | Posted: 2 Jul 2011 00:03
Guy:
On my own computer I first access a special instance of Firefox through an innocent looking but misleading icon on my screen. That copy of Firefox is set up permanently in the "stealth" mode. My spanking sites are bookmarked but difficult to find, buried two innocent-looking menus deep. A serious snooper might eventually stumble onto my bookmarks, but only a forensic expert could uncover my tracks beyond that.

Wouldn't it be easier just to 'out' yourself and be done with it?

mati
Female Member

Germany
#15 | Posted: 2 Jul 2011 00:10
canadianspankee:
to see if I can do what Guy suggest with hiding the sites.

Another good way of hiding is to memorize the URL. Not even an autopsy will ever find out your hidden kink.

But it would be a shame if new users can't find the library with all this wonderful stories any longer through Google, which is still the most important search engine. The library is far too good to become an insiders' tip only.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#16 | Posted: 2 Jul 2011 00:23
beth83:
Guy - how do you do all of that??? Although I live alone, and my favorites are limited to my log-in to AOL, which is password protected, I would love to know how to do all of that.

If you want to surf, keep your bookmarks a secret and leave no history on your pc/laptop of where you've been you could just run the portable edition of Firefox off a USB drive.

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox_Portable

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#17 | Posted: 2 Jul 2011 00:48
I have the site bookmarked, as I visit it often, but I also have a link to it on my blog, if anyone is a member of both places.

MarkPhoenix
Male Author

USA
#18 | Posted: 2 Jul 2011 01:40
Let me ask the obvious here. What is the problem with ".co.cc" domains?

I find this news . . . irritating indeed, because it was through a Google search that led me to the Library. In my case, it was a search relating to Will Henry that led me to a thread here on the forum about our favorite spanking authors.

As for my browsing, I don't bookmark, and on my laptop, I've set both Firefox and Explorer to delete my history as soon as I close the browser window. When I'm at the library . . . well, this site gets nailed by the blocking software.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#19 | Posted: 2 Jul 2011 01:46
MarkPhoenix:
Let me ask the obvious here. What is the problem with ".co.cc" domains?

If you mean why have Google de-indexed them all (11,366,053 sites at the time of writing) then I'm afraid I can't give you an answer until Google do us the courtesy of letting us know why, which of course may never happen. If I get any more info I'll update the thread.

I've now heard back from the co.cc administrators, not much to report except to say that they are aware of what has happened and are apparently in dialogue with Google:

We already contacted with Google and are discussing as to the de-indexing. The matter seems to be fixed very soon.

(They'd based in South Korea so the English isn't perfect)

Guy
Male Author

USA
#20 | Posted: 2 Jul 2011 17:05
beth83:

I deliberately waited before answering this to give the folks who actually know a chance to ring in. Sure enough, Februs offered a novel idea that may be far superior to my solution.

Note: There is nothing magic about Firefox, It's just the browser that Februs recommends. Reason enough for me!

Get Firefox here: http://www.getfirefox.net/ (As a rule, it's best to skip that and all "Free Scan" offers, just install the browser)

I forget how I doctored the Firefox Icon, but it wasn't hard.

There was an option to copy all of your usual bookmarks from your main browser into Firefox. Do that. Now if someone accidentally finds your Firefox installation, they likely won't see anything amiss. Besides, there is nothing unusual about having multiple browsers.

Make an innocent and boring-looking sub-directory for your private bookmarks only in your Firefox browser.

In Firefox go to "tools", then "options", then ""privacy". Click the box for "Permanent Private Browsing Mode".

Done.

Oh yes: If any of our computer gurus give you advice different from above, listen to them and ignore me.

Guy

Page  Page 2 of 3: «« 1 2 3 »»

Online now: Members - 11 : Guests - 8
billjam, cady09, Capnsmack, davenhall, fvsoler, Gecko, Hotscot, Jdabbs1000, kingkoban, Norskpike, xenmur
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9