The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Noticeboard /

Google

Page  Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 »»
Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 1 Jul 2011 17:46
Just a heads up to let people know that anyone looking for us on Google is going to be disappointed. As of about 48 hours ago Google, for reasons known only to themselves at present, de-indexed any site with a domain ending in ".co.cc". So, I'd suggest making sure you bookmark us if you normally arrive here va a Google search.

For those interested in some of the background the library facility was originally developed as part of the Bottom Lines community website. Although popular at first it ended up being used only very occasionally at which point flopsy suggested seeing what would happen if we made it available outside of Bottom Lines. Since we had no idea whether it would get any traffic I opted to use a free domain and we ended up with its current URL which is: http://www.spankinglibrary.co.cc/

Strictly speaking it's not what is termed a 'top level domain' but actually a sub-domain but to all intents and purposes it works just the same.

Given that the library site is now very active we could invest in a new domain (cost would be about £20 for 2 years), we would have to make a couple of changes as some other commercial site has already grabbed a whole bunch of the available 'spankinglibrary' domains but as a matter of principle I don't like being dictated into a course of action by the likes of Google who in the blink of an eye have apparently decided to remove from their search index 11 million sites.

A few of the self-righteous have been spouting off how there were a number of spammers using '.co.cc' as their domain so having Google remove them all is a good thing but ALL the domains have their fair share of spammers. Using what appears to be Google's logic you might as well arrest the entire population of a country simply because it has a few criminals within its borders.

Originally, I was of the opinion that compared to the likes of Microsoft and Apple, Google was in fact one of the good guys. That was before they capitulated to the Chinese with their offering of apparent censorship to the highest bidder. This latest nuking of 11 million sites from their index, including ours, merely adds to my disillusionment with them. Of course it may simply be some temporary technical glitch but since Google are far too busy to communicate their actions to us mere mortals we can but surmise as to what has happened for now.

PinkAngel
Female Assistant Librarian

Scotland
#2 | Posted: 1 Jul 2011 17:55
I think this is shocking... why should google decide what sites we want to see when we search... Whatever next...

rollin
Male Member

USA
#3 | Posted: 1 Jul 2011 19:14
I'm sure you are aware that there is already a spankinglibrary.com. If you choose a new domain, I'd avoid "spankinglibrary" and opt for "Libraryspankingfiction" or "spankingfictionlibrary" to avoid confusion.

anitalynn
Female Author

USA
#4 | Posted: 1 Jul 2011 19:24
I wonder if LSF in all capitals would work. Nice and easy but not very descriptive.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#5 | Posted: 1 Jul 2011 19:35
anitalynn:
I wonder if LSF in all capitals would work. Nice and easy but not very descriptive.

We've no plans at present to change the domain but the domain itself doesn't need to be descriptive as HTML provides the 'title' tag for that (shown on the top line of the web browser).

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#6 | Posted: 1 Jul 2011 19:36
I was wondering why I could not find the site as usual. I have bookmarked it for now, but I am presuming if I use another search engine the site will appear. There are many search engines so not a problem, I will just switch search engines, so much for Google.

PinkAngel
Female Assistant Librarian

Scotland
#7 | Posted: 1 Jul 2011 19:40
canadianspankee
You google the site every time you want to use it? I am speechless

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#8 | Posted: 1 Jul 2011 19:41
canadianspankee:
I was wondering why I could not find the site as usual. I have bookmarked it for now, but I am presuming if I use another search engine the site will appear. There are many search engines so not a problem, I will just switch search engines, so much for Google.

I checked Yahoo and searching for 'spanking stories' believe we came up on Page 2. I can't think why a regular visitor to the site would use a search engine to find us though, rather than merely bookmarking us.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#9 | Posted: 1 Jul 2011 20:08
Well some people are shy about others finding out about their interests and if the bookmarks are often checked by others using the computer, it is not wise to have the site bookmarked for long. For a few days a bookmark is all right but I will soon have to eliminate it, privacy is vital in this case.

anitalynn
Female Author

USA
#10 | Posted: 1 Jul 2011 21:27
Good point Canadianspankee,

That is how my son found out and, while he was teasing me, my hubby found out. I gave a song and dance on it mostly being sexy romance stories, and as all they see is a bunch of words on the screen, leave me to it.

Page  Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 »»

Online now: Members - 10 : Guests - 7
cwh, Derrick30, hundjager, insonia, jadoma, karmi, Lizchurch, rec333, Rfothergill, Steve0958
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9