LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / LSF News /

Comments - a sad decline

Page  Page 3 of 6: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »»
smartfulcodger
Male Author

USA
#21 | Posted: 2 Jun 2014 12:35
Just be honest about what you noticed most or what was it about a story that affected you. It's good to always keep your comment in a positive vein. If you have a criticism, or a suggestion for greatly improving a story, perhaps save that to include in a pop up to the author. I too have made it a goal to comment on every item I read.

Guy
Male Author

USA
#22 | Posted: 2 Jun 2014 12:48
DarkRiver:
Due to my font size being set fairly high (24pt+), I do a lot of scrolling in the reading pane (pop-up) which slows me down too.

Been there, done that, got the surgery. Yes, reading with eyesight issues really does slow you down.

DarkRiver
Male Member

Canada
#23 | Posted: 2 Jun 2014 13:26
Been there, done that, got the surgery. Yes, reading with eyesight issues really does slow you down.

Sadly no surgery correction for me... though I would love it.

bendover
Male Author

USA
#24 | Posted: 2 Jun 2014 14:43
smartfulcodger:
If you have a criticism, or a suggestion for greatly improving a story, perhaps save that to include in a pop up to the author.

I fully agree with that. It's not our place to play editor. Besides, the story is already posted. My goodness, Flopsy would be bald headed with pulling her hair out if she allowed people to want changes. I've seen mistakes and I've made mistakes in my writing. I'm not airing an author's mistakes in public (comment). I'm not sending pop-ups to that author either. I make a comment on what I call the Fictional/Reality of a story, but that's as far as I go. Man, I've done some illegal things in some of my stories.

CarolinaPaddler
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#25 | Posted: 2 Jun 2014 15:24
I try to remember whenever I make a comment that I may be energizing the author and aspiring writers.
The new stories and comments are the currency for this story site to be successful. I wonder when someone has read an entire serial, why they do not take a moment and leave a comment.

Malcatraz
Male Author

USA
#26 | Posted: 2 Jun 2014 15:36
Although it is rare, constructive criticism is welcome as is generic comments such as good story or well written. Having said that, I really appreciate the ones that tell me they understand some facet of the story being told.

As far as comment frequency goes, I agree with those who say it may be a seasonal thing. I know, at least in my case, I am spending much more time outside now that the weather has improved. After the brutal winter we've been through, a chance to enjoy warm temps. and sunshine can't be ignored

rollin
Male Member

USA
#27 | Posted: 2 Jun 2014 15:46
I had not really noticed this, but then again I don't publish my new material here any more, so the occasional comment I get is on the legacy stuff. The stories that garner comments are mostly the new ones. Once they are about 2 weeks old, the comment count drops off. It's just like a new release book, movie or hit song. It has a half life.

FiBlue
Female Author

USA
#28 | Posted: 2 Jun 2014 17:06
I tried to stay out of this discussion, but most of you who know me know that I can't do it.

I had also noticed the dearth of comments recently. It's probably just one of those things.

It is interesting how this thread about the decline in the number of overall comments has morphed into a rehashing of the make-up of acceptable comments. I think this is counterproductive and unlikely to increase the tendency of readers, especially those who are not already in the commenting habit, to go to the effort. But, I have said this before. And, I have been taken to task for expressing my opinion in my comments more than once. If I can't say what I really think (hopefully, in a nice way) then I see no point in commenting at all. I want no less in the comments left on my stories. Please, please give me your honest evaluation. I'm a big girl... I can take it.

jefesse
Male Author

USA
#29 | Posted: 2 Jun 2014 18:45
I'm another author who has no problem with critical comments about my stories. They are not my *favorite* comments, of course but I still like them, because (1) they are tangible evidence that someone has actually read my wonderful creation (the only kind I get, really), and (2) sometimes they can lead to an interesting dialogue about what works in stories and what doesn't.

Positive comments are more fun, of course. I agree with Malcatraz, it is best when a comment reveals that the story was understood. A good strategy for writing comments is to say things like "I especially liked the part where ...".

As a commenter, I probably comment on about 1 in 6 stories I read, which is a much higher ratio than I used to. On the other hand, I have much less time and/or inclination to read these days, so I probably comment less overall. It's one of those things, as Fi says.

ohiomom
Female Member

USA
#30 | Posted: 3 Jun 2014 01:24
I try to be good and try to comment on every story I read, but I go in spurts. Also, I have to say it is thrilling to receive a comment back from the author. I enjoy the stories and hope one to make the transition to author. Thank you L s f.

Page  Page 3 of 6: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »»

Online now: Members - 4 : Guests - 11
Euphrosyne, Kin37, seacap63, txwolf208
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9