The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Censorship

Page  Page 2 of 3: «« 1 2 3 »»
barretthunter
Male Author

England
#11 | Posted: 10 Jan 2011 10:38
ordalie:
What ever happened to critical reading & thinking? Has that died? It is no longer taught in school?"
I know it isn't any more. You have pinpointed the problem.

I don't think it's totally vanished in the UK, and the problem here is not that there is a kind of ban on exploring dissident views, but that under the last two governments the traditional freedom of British schools and teachers has been replaced by an approach focussing hugely on exam and test results and on "basic skills". Helping people think independently and get a sympathetic understanding of others' points of view is not a basic skill, apparently.

I do remember that towards the end of the Vietnam War, the American news magazine "Newsweek" reported that an American teacher had told her class (not very old - maybe 10 or 12 year olds from memory) to represent the different sides (US government, South Vietnamese goverment, North Vietnamese goverment, Vietcong) sitting down round a table for Vietnam peace talks. She'd given each group a briefing on their perceptions and desires. There had been two rounds of talks, each ended by the Vietcong walking out! Not too far off, as the Vietcong were losers from the last stages of the war, pushed into the Tet offensive where they suffered huge losses but sapped US resolve, then sidelined when North Vietnam took over the South.

I thought what the teacher did was brilliant.

blimp
Male Author

England
#12 | Posted: 10 Jan 2011 10:39
Guy:
What ever happened to critical reading & thinking? Has that died? It is no longer taught in school? Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking (or if they bother to think at all).

It has always been something performed by only a minority of the population I am afraid. It is not that people are incapable of rational thought it's just they are too lazy. It is easier to watch rubbish on the television or read a tabloid newspaper.

I never judge people by their politics, it's just whether they have bothered to think at all or whether they just go along with the herd. Some of my friends (and relations) are conservatives, or even Conservatives. As long as they are thinking people it doesn't bother me. What really bothers me are politicians and governments that want to control peoples lives. ID cards, policing the internet, CCTV cameras it is all leading to a time when every aspect of peoples lives will be monitored and controlled. We might trust this government but will we trust the next one or the one after that?

Guy
Male Author

USA
#13 | Posted: 10 Jan 2011 14:41
blimp:
ID cards, policing the internet, CCTV cameras it is all leading to a time when every aspect of peoples lives will be monitored and controlled. We might trust this government but will we trust the next one or the one after that?

When he wrote 1984, Orwell did humanity a huge favor. Unfortunately, we seem to be quickly forgetting the lesson. Government video intrusion into our lives is becoming a common thing on both sides of the pond.

As for IDs, more and more it's getting so you aren't allowed to travel without some government official demanding your "papers". No "papers", no travel; all in the name of "national security". This is an astonishing amount of power for a government to grab with barely a whimper from the population. The comparison to the Gestapo and other other repressive government police forces is inevitable.

Yes, governments are having problems controlling information flow right now. What lengths will they go to recover it in the name of "national security"?

[/rant]

Guy

blimp
Male Author

England
#14 | Posted: 10 Jan 2011 18:41
Have you heard of the Asia Bibi case in Pakistan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia_Bibi

A woman sentenced to hang for "blasphemy". So much of the world is still a primitive place. Do you think the Imams want thinking, questioning people? How can people believe in a God of love and act like that to their fellow human beings? A lot of it is all about control over peoples lives and thoughts. One tried and trusted way is through terror. The days of the Spanish Inquisition and Matthew Hopkins don't seem so far away when you look at what is happening in the world. You do worry about future generations as I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel! It seems to me that religion is just another way of gaining control over peoples lives. Sorry I will stop my ranting now and return to blimp like normality!

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#15 | Posted: 10 Jan 2011 19:22
The blasphemy is connected to her being a Christian. Religion can oppress or fight oppression, and having strong beliefs is a big help if you're up against apparently crushing power. Look at, for example, the people in Germany under Nazi rule who opposed the Nazis.

I am totally with you, blimp, and the case makes me very angry. But there have always been plenty of intolerant people and governments. Goverments and religious establishments feel threatened by the way the world is changing, and this attempt to control by fear is one of their responses.

sixofthebest
Male Member

USA
#16 | Posted: 24 Feb 2011 14:14
To Guy and Barretthunter, I agree with you 100% , we must all fight censorship, be it in Governments, or Media's. Take for instant Fox Cable News. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, their so called 'reporters, such as Gretchen Carlson, Michele Malkin, and Sarah Palin, etc. Spew their vicious lies. And I am sure you both would agree with me, the best solution would be for someone to take their panties, knickers or bloomers down, and spank their bare bottoms most appropriately. Yes, at the moment only in fantasy. But how I wish that this thought could one day become a reality. Would.nt you both agree?

Guy
Male Author

USA
#17 | Posted: 24 Feb 2011 18:16
But wait a minute! How would punishing Fox news staff for telling what many of us consider "lies and distortions" be any better than government censorship?

To be against censorship, is to be for tolerance, even when it hurts! And believe me; Fox News hurts.

Guy

blimp
Male Author

England
#18 | Posted: 24 Feb 2011 18:36
If you are in favour of free speech you must let all the racists, homophobics, fascists, liars, neonazis, bigots, religious zealots, suicide bombers, daily mail readers have their say!! If they are all on the same channel of course it makes things easier. You just watch something else instead.

rollin
Male Member

USA
#19 | Posted: 24 Feb 2011 18:38
I'm all for spanking female newscasters, but politics has little to do with it.

jimisim
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#20 | Posted: 24 Feb 2011 19:55
I agree Rollin and in the UK we have a veritable bevy of beauties from their early thirties to mid fifties who provide a veritable cornucopia of fantasy spankees. My particular favourite Kate Somerton.

However to return to the more serious point, on 'The One Show' tonight there was a short piece showing how much more difficult control is with modern tecnology.

Unfortunately the conclusion was reached that a tyrannical dictatorship that is prepared to kill its subjects with abandon usually wins, from England in the 1840s (to the Chinese in Tianammen Sq; while though that jib eg The French and The Russians usually are overturned.

Page  Page 2 of 3: «« 1 2 3 »»