The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

An apology

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»
Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 22 Dec 2021 22:55
Hello all. Recently I posted a story that struck a nerve with some people, one dealing with an attempted sexual assault. I apologise to anyone that was offended. While there was drug addled high school senior who did want to do that, he was prevented from doing so. He was then arrested.

When writing it, I considered it as something drunken teenager would do during a graduation party. I did not consider that it might be a "trigger" for some, and for that I wholeheartedly apoligise. That part of the story has edited to remove all references to the attempt.

AlanBarr
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 22 Dec 2021 23:14
I'm not convinced you need to apologise. I've just been watching a TV drama which depicted a sexual assault, as well as two violent deaths. I'm sure the BBC won't apologise for it, but they did issue a warning beforehand so anyone who was likely to be upset by the content could avoid it.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#3 | Posted: 23 Dec 2021 00:09
There was no such warning in this story - which means that people could not decide to avoid it.

Geoffrey
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#4 | Posted: 23 Dec 2021 12:51
I'm surprised that anyone who chooses to read spanking fiction would be offended, after all, apart from utterly consensual activity, much spanking is an assault.

Surely any reader likely to be offended by such content would read any story on here with an awareness of the possiblity that they might be offended and be prepared to stop reading, as soon as they saw the story moving in that direction.

The fact that the perpetrator is also arrested, presumably for the attempted assault, suggest that your story was a moral tale where unacceptable behaviour brings consequences.

A possible solution could be LSF adding a consensual/non-consensual icon to the resume, but that of course opens the can of worms--what is, or is not, consensual spanking.

Geoffrey Stirling.

mianders
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#5 | Posted: 23 Dec 2021 14:17
Having just read the story, I can see it would not be to everyone's taste, but it is well written in a non-salacious style, and depicts events which are plausible. While some people may not want to read it, I don't see how they could be offended by it. Such things happen in real life and they sometimes get reported in the media.

In my view, no apology needed.

Lonewulf
Male Member

USA
#6 | Posted: 24 Dec 2021 15:34
Uncharacteristic of you, but writers like to stretch out into other fields all the time (this is also why I voiced an opinion about a year ago that writers use multiple names for such experimentation so they don't piss off their fan base). Like others, I don't see the need for you to apologize. I can see how some might get triggered from a dip too close to reality, but that's why there is a "go back" feature in every browser. Instead of editing it to delete the "offensive" content, you should have simply added a warning to your story. Your story might have appealed and filled a void to others who might be looking for something closer to realistic. Not my bag, but most aren't. One story based website has a rule that realistic crime stories have to have a reciprical comeuppance for the purp, which you did naturally. Again, I don't see the need to apologize or edit.
My unasked for 2 cents.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#7 | Posted: 24 Dec 2021 18:33
Some readers got 11 parts in to a story and were suddenly offended / triggered - which isn't good. I don't believe a warning would have been appropriate as it was a very small part of a large story.

Regardless, the change has been made. All references to that attempt have been removed. They are not returning. And I do feel bad about including something that was too close to real life for some people.

Geoffrey
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#8 | Posted: 24 Dec 2021 23:33
Well said, sir.

AlanBarr
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#9 | Posted: 24 Dec 2021 23:41
Lonewulf:
One story based website has a rule that realistic crime stories have to have a reciprical comeuppance for the purp

I've discovered myself that many readers have a strong preference for that. But such a rule still seems very restrictive to me. We all know in real life the villain doesn't always get his comeuppance.

RosieCheeks
Female Member

England
#10 | Posted: 27 Dec 2021 14:15
First off respect to you Goodgulf for your response to the issue.

My personal view is that there are 'triggers' for a lot of things in what we view, read or hear, and the responsibility should within reasonable limits, not be with the creator of these things, but rather with the receiver of them, and certainly in a fiction story covering subject matter that is covered on LSF.

As said these are just my personal views.

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»