The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Wayback Machine

Redskinluver
Male Author

USA
#1 | Posted: 17 Mar 2020 19:28
Someone posted about finding a thread from a defunct spanking site. Looked up Wayback Machine on Google, but not sure how to navigate the site.
If anyone here has helpful hints about using it,would appreciate knowing the information. So many old sites(and not just spanking ones) I'd love to be able to re-visit.
How, for example, could I use the Machine to find SpankingClassics or World SpankingForum?

transmanspankee
Male Member

England
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 17 Mar 2020 19:51
I don't know about those specific sites - it depends on whether it crawled it at any point in its history. In my experience I've found most sites have at least one date available to view. As for using the website:

1) Go to archive.org/web/
2) Insert the url of the website you want to reach into the white text box near the top of the webpage.
3) Click the grey box that says 'Browse History'.
4) Select a date from the calendar. You pick a year by clicking it on the timeline scale, and then can select any day that's highlighted on the month-by-month calendar that will show for that year.
> If the site was archived multiple times on that day, it may come up with a selection of times to pick from. Pick the time of day you want.
5) Browse the site as you wish!

On lots of sites, the images, videos and audio files won't be accessible. You may find a lot of Flash stuff that doesn't work any more, too. For primarily text-based sites, it's fantastic and you can usually click on every link. For some sites there won't be any saves, which sucks. For others you'll be able to track the progression of the website from its origin to death! Have fun out there, I hope this explanation helps.

opb
Male Author

England
#3 | Posted: 18 Mar 2020 07:15
The problem I have found is that where a site was protected by password entry, one can see the front page but the archive doesn't have the password infrastructure of the original site so that's all I can see.