The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Goodbye Sir Terry

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 13 Mar 2015 00:04
I just woke up to the news that Sir Terry Pratchett passed away aged 66. The SFF world has lost another of it's greats. During a decade spanning over 4 decades Sir Terry wrote over 70 books and sold more than 70 million copies. He's best known for his Discworld novels, of which he wrote more than 40. Ironically one of his best known and most loved characters in Discworld is Death. Will be greatly missed.

kerrsutherland
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 13 Mar 2015 01:44
I discovered his work while in high school. If one wants to understand human nature, read the Discworld series. As readers of the series know, Death doesn't come for every passing but I know that great skeleton personally came for this golden stalk.

opb
Male Author

England
#3 | Posted: 13 Mar 2015 08:24
If is indeed a sad day. He had the ability to incorporate genuine humour with satire and, as kerr says the skill to display human nature in all is weaknesses and strengths. If anything his literary powers increased with time. A sad day.

medici
Male Author

England
#4 | Posted: 13 Mar 2015 09:28
A great writer and person. He will be sorely missed.

I met him once at a book signing and his wonderful attitude toward his fans was amazing; smiling, joking, chatting amiably - showed he was certainly not an egotist but one who appreciate his fans. (sheesh, I'm welling up here, writing this!)

My favourite character was Wizzard (failed) Rincewind.

Linda
Female Author

Scotland
#5 | Posted: 13 Mar 2015 10:17
I am greatly saddened by his passing. THERE'S NO JUSTICE. THERE'S JUST US.

myrkassi
Male Author

Scotland
SUBSCRIBER

#6 | Posted: 13 Mar 2015 23:28
There are so many things I was looking forward to finding out, so many questions about the Discworld and its characters that can now never be answered...

It's like suddenly being cut off from an entire world.

Goodbye, Sir Terry. You'll be missed.

RosieCheeks
Female Member

England
#7 | Posted: 14 Mar 2015 00:09
Never read any of his books, however Sir Terry i salute you for your willingness to be so open in your journey through early-onset Alzheimer's, which brought this hideous disease to the publics awareness.
Mr Pratchett you showed utmost courage thank you.

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#8 | Posted: 14 Mar 2015 01:06
On BBC News, it was reported that he died "surrounded by his family, with his cat asleep on the bed". A sweet touch - and a lovely, funny man. Bye Terry, and thanks for all the books.

RikSpanks
Male Author

USA
#9 | Posted: 16 Mar 2015 13:49
I got the news just a day after I purchased the first two Discworld books for my Kindle. I've read that whole series, minus perhaps the last two books, but my hardcopies were all lost when my storage unit got robbed a couple years ago , so I decided to start loading them all onto my Kindle.

One of my best Internet friends (we've never met IRL) suffers from Early-onset Alzheimer's, and I work in a retirement home, so I have some personal experience with it. It's sad when it happens to anybody, but when it happens to a gift to the world like Sir Pterry ... I just have no words.

One of my favorite Discworld books was "Small Gods". I'm a Christian (though not a very good one, by some standards), but I loved Pterry's treatment of the topic of religion.