The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

I can picture it clearly. I just can't find the right words

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2
jefesse
Male Author

USA
#11 | Posted: 31 Mar 2012 22:03
SNM:
That's something the narrator can describe later. A few paragraphs after he sees her in the doorway, there can be a sentence like "I glanced back at the girl. Her left foot was pivoting back and forth on its toes."

Hmm. Maybe that would work.

tiptopper
Male Author

USA
#12 | Posted: 1 Apr 2012 02:32
OK I'll give it a shot.

She stood in the doorway of the room. She appeared unsure of herself, coy, as girls who aren't sure if they have become women yet frequently are.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#13 | Posted: 1 Apr 2012 02:39
There's a comma there... It just doesn't work for me. But then again, commas are the punctuation with the vaguest rules. How does it look when it's moved and other punctuation takes its place?

She appeared unsure of herself; coy, as girls who aren't sure if they have become women yet, frequently are.
She appeared unsure of herself. Coy, as girls who aren't sure if they have become women yet, frequently are.

Then again, the added comma might not be needed...

Goodgulf

tiptopper
Male Author

USA
#14 | Posted: 1 Apr 2012 02:56
Goodgulf:
There's a comma there... It just doesn't work for me. But then again, commas are the punctuation with the vaguest rules. How does it look when it's moved and other punctuation takes its place?

I am never sure of the punctuation, the rules are too complex. How I muddle through is I think of it as how I would say it and put commas, or sometimes semicolons, in where I would naturally pause but not come to a full stop.

Probably this would be better: She appeared unsure of herself; coy, as girls who aren't sure if they have become women yet frequently are.

Speaking it I wouldn't pause between "yet" and "frequently".

I often revise the punctuation after I have proofread what I have written.

jools
Female Author

New_Zealand
#15 | Posted: 1 Apr 2012 07:03
Yes Tiptopper, the best way to work out where to put in punctuation is to read your sentences aloud. Where you pause for a breath place a full-stop (this is usually always where the sentence feels like it has come to a natural end) and where you pause for effect, place a comma. It sounds like you are definitely on the right track!

Also Microsoft Word underlines all the non-grammatical sentences for you. So it's a good program to use if you are unsure of punctuation placement as it basically draws all grammatical mistakes, as well as spelling mistakes, to your attention. Hope this helps

opb
Male Author

England
#16 | Posted: 1 Apr 2012 08:48
jefesse:
That comes closest to capturing the image I'd like in the fewest words. It's still not getting at the exact thing she's doing with her foot, which for some reason is a very specific image for me. Ah well ...

SNM is right here, try to split the descriptive chunks.

Another trick is to concentrate on the one important part of the image which represents ( in this case) coyness and use that on it's own, rather like the way a film cameraman will use a close up shot as an establishing shot.

"Her feet caught my eye, tippy-toed like a ballerina en point; she seemed nervous somehow."

Hard to say that without a Phillip Marlow accent

islandcarol
Female Author

USA
#17 | Posted: 1 Apr 2012 13:53
So, I know from your description the girl was not confident. Was she inexperienced?
Did she have a crush on a boy in the room?
Was this her first time in this place?
I love beautiful descriptions, but wonder. Was all this toe pivoting an act to attract attention?
Is she the heroine or the wicked witch?
Perhaps you can play her physical description and her personality or motivation or thoughts back and forth to help your reader understand.
I'm reading a book by Deborah Harkness. A Discovery of Witches; she's a brilliant wordsmith and sometimes her simplest statements are the most powerful, "When he left the room, the light went with him."

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#18 | Posted: 1 Apr 2012 14:22
because he had stolen the light-bulb.

jefesse
Male Author

USA
#19 | Posted: 1 Apr 2012 14:53
Well, I've finished my story. I ended up putting in more or less the split version that SNM suggested. I'd like to thank everyone for their helpful ideas.

tiptopper:
She stood in the doorway of the room. She appeared unsure of herself, coy, as girls who aren't sure if they have become women yet frequently are.

This one captures exactly what the girl's demeanor expresses to me, even though it doesn't describe anything physical about what she is doing. I didn't end up using it, but I like it, and it fits the story perfectly!

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2