The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Plugboard /

Looking at "viewed" numbers...

Page  Page 3 of 5: «« 1 2 3 4 5 »»
stevenr
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#21 | Posted: 10 Dec 2021 01:42
I know that I for one am glad that I cannot comment on my own stories. Several times, I've been replying to a comment on one of my stories, and have accidentally commented on my own story, which in my mind felt like the pinnacle of egoism.

In multi part series I've written, I've noticed the precipitous drop off in number of views from Part 1 to Part 2. I decided it was people tire kicking, reading the first story and deciding they didn't want to invest in reading the entire series, or even read further. For me when I get lots of comments, that tells me that either more readers really liked it, or didn't like it at all and want to let me know about it, something in it triggered them, and more than a few have told me they really didn't like what I'd written.

Fairly recently I posted a six part series, "The Princess and the Carpenter", between the six installments, I got two comments, which for me meant I got a big, meh. Which is ok, there is never any telling what the readers will appreciate and comment on.

Richard_Windsor
Male Author

SUBSCRIBER

#22 | Posted: 10 Dec 2021 15:32
Unless I am far behind the times, which I could be, I don't believe that there is a mobile app for this site. If that remains the case then what you could be dealing with here is simply a matter of user time. Each person is different as to what time they can spend online perusing adult material, and for many the amount of time is not going to be significant. So they will want to use that time as productively as they can.

Devoting an entire evening's worth of online time to one story by one author is simply a lot to ask. And of course not everyone is going to read them in full. I just looked at the stats of all of the stories that I have written that have received 5,000 views or more this year, and the average view time was between 2 to 4 minutes. So while they received 5,000 views on the year, the chances are that no more than a thousand people actually read the entire story.

It was once put to me that you can't decide if you like a story or not in ten seconds, but I disagree with that. If the story starts "In 2197 in Dwargum Sporinge", lol, that would take me less than ten seconds to click off of it

Glagla
Male Author

Sweden
SUBSCRIBER

#23 | Posted: 10 Dec 2021 16:55
Richard_Windsor:
If the story starts "In 2197 in Dwargum Sporinge", lol, that would take me less than ten seconds to click off of it

Ouch, now where is your sense of adventure and breaking new barriers? Maybe you're missing out on a whole new world when refusing to expand your horizons... You might just be positively surprised if you give it a chance

There is no app sad to say, but if you're willing to give it a go, you'll easily be one of the most popular people on site

BlooDenim
Male Member

England
SUBSCRIBER

#24 | Posted: 10 Dec 2021 18:07
As an avid reader and wannabe author, I do try to comment on every story I read, but sometimes I really can't. Could be the story wasn't really my taste.
I do however always read the story to the end before deciding if I liked it or it was worth reading. Are we really becoming so shallow that we bin a story after the first or second page? Why start to read it then? I do feel sorry for authors with drop-off like that, perhaps it's just as well authors can't comment on their own stories, I'd probably be banned for the comments I'd make about skimmers!

warthur
Male Author

USA
#25 | Posted: 11 Dec 2021 18:42
Interesting exchange with some good points. I apologize for coming in late. As I read some of the comments, I am reminded of an old writers joke: An editor finishes reading a manuscript and says to the writer, "This is good but there's not enough sex in it." The writer replies, "What do you mean? There's sex on the first page." To which the editor replies, "But not in the first paragraph."

No doubt, some readers are not really interested in story and only want the 'good part' (i.e. spanking in the first paragraph). That is certainly their privilege and, as writers, we need to respect that. However, some of us fervently believe there is more to spanking than the spanking, that the buildup and the motivation are the more important factors driving the narrative. The fact that the Library accommodates and includes stories and serials that appeal to all tastes is what makes it so wonderful.

stevenr
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#26 | Posted: 11 Dec 2021 21:55
I'm from Texas and was in school during the late 1960's into the 70's. So I grew up when the paddle was in use, a lot. As an author, I like to delve into the mindset of those about to be punished, and in many of my stories they are about to be paddled in a school setting. Anyway, I like to go into the mindset of the student being punished and the teacher or principal wielding the paddle. I also examine the relationship between child and parent and their mindsets when being spanked. Some people seem to enjoy this, many however do not.

Right now, I'm thinking on a story that begins with the spanking / paddling so the punishment happens first, right there in the first paragraph, then go into what led up to it.

Glagla
Male Author

Sweden
SUBSCRIBER

#27 | Posted: 11 Dec 2021 21:59
TheEnglishMaster:
And some (like a reader I had today) don't want to invest even a minute on a short story. This chap viewed 16 stories in 8 minutes.

I'm utterly impressed by his speed reading capacity By the way, I often experience the same. The only way to slow it down is to have extremely long spanking scenes...

njrick:
In another, the number of views actually INCREASED for the 2nd installment, even if by a mere 2%. Here again there was no action in in episode 1. I figured readers just paid attention to the content icons and skipped "the boring part" to get to the "action."

I have similar experiences. Once validated, the episodes with no spanking flatline. A way to keep the interest up can be to release the story one episode at a time. Then it might maintain a decent read-on ration and sometimes it even jumps up, depending on the front page exposure, how many days it's on and how far up on the list you are. Or simply how many other new stories that happen to be up and if they are serials or not. Or how many readers who happen to have the chance to log on and click a few stories, or if the sun is out so everybody is outside instead. There are so many factors which all are independent of the quality of the story. For example, often one or a few stories on the front page takes off and then stay on top, widening the gap to the rest of the stories the longer they are up. Until the stories are validated, it's often pure luck if your story is among them.

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#28 | Posted: 12 Dec 2021 07:06
TheEnglishMaster:
I was advised, when writing for publication, to get to an 'action scene' asap, but here in the library surely authors should feel free to start a serial or a story just the way they want?

Has anyone participating in this thread claimed that Library writers *shouldn't* somehow "feel free to start a serial or story just the way they want?"

Of course not, because this discussion is about a posted work getting "views," it has nothing to do with an author's freedom to write as he/she pleases, which to my knowledge has never been been challenged here.

As I mentioned earlier, years ago I was likewise advised by the Men Under Control magazine's editor (Kessily from the SSS newsgroup) to "get to the spanking part right away" in my stories, I'm figuring that such an approach is pretty much standard for published-for-profit spanking stories. I was merely pointing out that if "views" are important to a writer in this Library, he/she might attempt to feature early spanking scenes mixed in with the plot background being provided--although sometimes that approach may not be feasible, other times it can work quite effectively.

Nowadays I tend to wait until a serial has been completed before I start reading it, and whether I do so at all generally depends on the spanking gender pairings in its parts, plus how many parts feature spankings. Once I do begin to read the serial, I typically commit to reading (and commenting upon) all of its parts, since following the overall plot line, including that found in any "no spanking" parts, is important to me.

However, that's just my individual perspective on reading serials, and actually single stories too... --C.K.

jimc
Male Member

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#29 | Posted: 12 Dec 2021 15:59
This an intresting thread. I am one of those readers that jumps around on my reading. I like m/F or f/F spanking stories I love otk hand spanking mainly so I will read those stories more than different implements and while I will read whole stories I sometimes have found a story and then could not find it again( I have a shared computer and cannot save many things spanking related) and I also have to say I also find stories while scanning and may look at them as the title or author are familiar to me,but I find it may not be the genre that I am looking for so I do not read part 2 or other chapters( not a snub of the author or his/her work or effort as I do want every author to know that I do appreciate all their time and effort in putting a book in the library,but I cannot relate to certain books and do not read them in their entirety). I do try to comment though on books that I like. So I would guess that is how so many people may view the first chapter,but not go to the second not because it lacks spanking content,but because the ones getting spanked are not who I thought.Thanks to all the authors that give their passion,time and effort into their works and sharing it .I am sure there are several books I did not give a chance as well as books I have not found again and I did enjoy the first chapter very much and would have continued if I had found them again.Have a great day.
Jim

jimisim
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#30 | Posted: 12 Dec 2021 23:50
i really enjoy writing series as sometimes the characters come "alive" as you carry on.
I do notice though there is a distinct drop off in readers, but I also have had favourable comments from those who like me, like serials and read to the end.
I haven't written lately mainly due to WP and computer problems but hopefully that will change as I have a number of ideas floating in my head.
As to opening and closing a story quickly, I am often too impatient to wait for the resume, and if I find it involves children I immediately close the story.

Page  Page 3 of 5: «« 1 2 3 4 5 »»

Online now: Members - 5 : Guests - 9
Alef, Bedhand, hunter, ronclute, tocciek
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9