The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

What Makes a Favourite?

Page  Page 2 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»
Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#11 | Posted: 16 Mar 2011 07:17
I've been trying to work this out for as long as I've been writing spanking fiction. If anyone finds out can they please let me know the magic formula?

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#12 | Posted: 16 Mar 2011 11:45
rollin:
For example, the reads of a certain cinematic blockbuster (I'm not going to stoop to a shameless plug) have dropped precipitously since that work slipped to the back pages, while I know that there are people who would read it but probably have no idea it's there. Oh well, their loss, but it does point out that the front page is where it's at.

Which means that anyone anyone seriously into comment-grubbing would do well to bribe Februs into loading his/her stories last on a given day, after (rather than before) the latest multi-part serial or clolection of stories. On thte other hand, someone like me is (now) content to take pot-luck with story placement.

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#13 | Posted: 16 Mar 2011 14:35
Seegee:
I've been trying to work this out for as long as I've been writing spanking fiction. If anyone finds out can they please let me know the magic formula?

IMHO you should take a break from that and instead relax by doing something less mentally challenging, like resolving all the elements of Einstein's 'unified field theory.'

Quality and commentary, is there any relationship at all in spanking stories? Who Knows...?? --C.K.

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#14 | Posted: 16 Mar 2011 14:49
kdpierre:
When all other explanation fails, just remember, in the US, where there are so many excellent microbrew beers available, Coors Light is probably the single best-selling beer around and it is akin to watered-down piss in a can.

Ah, but that's partly no doubt for the same reason that in the UK, no real ales are in the top ten most bought beers - that standard lagers bought nearly all belong to a very few heavily promoted varieties (Heineken, Carlsberg, Foster's) while there is a multiplicity of real ales with no single beer dominant and with all but the tiniest brewers producing several varieties, some of which are seasonal. By the way, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is now available in most of the local supermarkets round here, and that is a pleasant beer.

In the cartoon strip in the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) magazine a while back, there was a sequence which referred to some news that a major brewer was referring to CAMRA as CAMRARSE. The old gent who was the central figure in the strip was pointing out that this could only mean the Campaign for Real Arses, which led to an attempt to verify a local sample, which led to a problem with a girl's big boyfriend...

rollin
Male Member

USA
#15 | Posted: 16 Mar 2011 18:43
njrick:
Which means that anyone anyone seriously into comment-grubbing would do well to bribe Februs into loading his/her stories last on a given day, after (rather than before) the latest multi-part serial or clolection of stories. On thte other hand, someone like me is (now) content to take pot-luck with story placement.

I don't think it's something you could control even if Februs were amenable to bribery. There is now so much content flowing through on any given day that no story lasts very long on the front page. The result is that readers get more and more selective. I also wonder if readers go back through the "latest read" pages to see what they may have missed?

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#16 | Posted: 16 Mar 2011 19:34
rollin:
njrick: Which means that anyone anyone seriously into comment-grubbing would do well to bribe Februs into loading his/her stories last on a given day, after (rather than before) the latest multi-part serial or clolection of stories. On thte other hand, someone like me is (now) content to take pot-luck with story placement.
I don't think it's something you could control even if Februs were amenable to bribery. There is now so much content flowing through on any given day that no story lasts very long on the front page. The result is that readers get more and more selective. I also wonder if readers go back through the "latest read" pages to see what they may have missed?

I'm figuring that one certainly might accomplish that subterfuge, if Februs could be bribed to suddenly develop "technical problems with loading new stories" for three days or so, right after one's own story was loaded and therefore at the top of the "Loaded" page.

Of course, Februs has a sterling reputation for professional integrity RE this Library, but perhaps one or more of his spankophile harem, ahhhh I mean library staff, could be bribed to, well, flash her assets let's say, and distract him for a few days while a particular story remained on top on the "Loaded" column.

As for bribing the librarians, there's the old saying that "Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker"--however, to be certain perhaps one would want to go with both.

So the concept strikes me as eminently 'doable,' but then again to quote my darling spouse: "You're wrong quite a lot of the time, sweetie pie."

As that other old saying goes, "They said it couldn't be done--and they were right..." --C.K.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#17 | Posted: 16 Mar 2011 19:43
What I read here is if one is a writer and holds his stories or series until they have a few ready to go then they would hold more spots on the front page for longer thus gaining more readers/comments/favourites etc. I do not think I am that desperate for favourites or comments that I could do that. It would take part of the fun away from the site and I would rather write for fun then for anything else.

rollin
Male Member

USA
#18 | Posted: 16 Mar 2011 20:15
Oh, you know what I meant to say above was "latest loaded", that's where the newer stories are. How many readers go behind the front page to see what's been loaded since they last checked the site?

I generally don't hold things, I just let fly when I'm done with all the editing. Chips fall where they may.

twisted8
Male Member

USA
#19 | Posted: 16 Mar 2011 20:26
I'm with mati. I use the favorites section to store stuff for later and to keep track of stories that are important for one reason or another. Given the huge amount of new material that gets presented here at the LSF I can't imagine it any other way. Thank the spank God's that Februs, when not tracking down murder mysteries, put the feature on the site.

As to why readers do the things they do? I have noticed that we humans do all kinds of inexplicable things.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#20 | Posted: 16 Mar 2011 20:32
twisted8:
I use the favorites section to store stuff for later and to keep track of stories that are important for one reason or another

Maybe it might be worth us having a "reading list" facility whereby things can be marked for future reading... ISTR someone else using the favourites in a similar manner a while back .. just not sure whether it would be worth adding such a thing.

Page  Page 2 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»

Online now: Members - 6 : Guests - 4
badlad, CarolinaPaddler, GivanTake, goddan, kerrsutherland, Tiredny
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9