library of spanking fiction forum
LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

jockey's jargon

ordalie
Female Member

France
#1 | Posted: 27 Sep 2010 02:31
I'm an absolute fan of Dick Francis's novels. This is whar I came across in "Forfeit":
"The rules say you can't earn a salary in any capacity in a racing stable and ride as an amateur. Now don't say I could get a job as a lad and do my two and have a professional licence, of course I could."
I can't find anywhere the meaning of "do my two".
Would anyone know the answer?

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 27 Sep 2010 04:47
I'm guessing that the book is set at a time when the draft or another form of conscription was in place. Back when nearly all able body men had to serve two years in a branch of the military. And yes, the National Guard counted.

Goodgulf

blimp
Male Author

England
#3 | Posted: 27 Sep 2010 14:30
Do his two years apprenticeship whilst working as a stable lad before going on to be a professional jockey. That's a Dead Cert by the way!

ordalie
Female Member

France
#4 | Posted: 27 Sep 2010 18:05
@Goodgulf
This has got nothing to do with what you mention but with the Jockey Club rules!

@blimp
Dead Cert, another book title, of course!
I'd really like to have an answer to my question!

blimp
Male Author

England
#5 | Posted: 27 Sep 2010 19:45
Ordalie, maybe I didn't make myself clear. The jockeys do a two year apprenticeship. That is the two year referred to. They muck out the stables, take the horses out for exercise in the morning etc. Ride the occasional horse, (for which they receive a weight allowance). For more detailed analysis please look it up on wikipedia.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#6 | Posted: 28 Sep 2010 03:46
Oh well, that army thing was a good guess - and was labeled as a guess.

Goodgulf

ordalie
Female Member

France
#7 | Posted: 28 Sep 2010 04:49
@blimp
After reading Dick Francis's novels, I know everything about a lad's life. I think you're right about the two year apprenticeship. I just thought it lasted longer than that.
@Goodgulf
Was it really two years in the army until conscription stopped completely? Here in France it used to be twelve months.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#8 | Posted: 28 Sep 2010 06:01
In the US it was two years - even in peace time - from 1951 onwards. Of course there were ways of dodging the draft - most of those involved getting educated enough to be a useful professional. That said there were many employers who would check for a military record when hiring and only hire "patriots" with a clean service records...

Goodgulf

Online now: Members - 4 : Guests - 6
bookkeeper, makkunny, skirtspankger, WilliamAllen
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9