library of spanking fiction forum
LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Typical discipline for maids in Scotland

Tiredny
Male Author

USA
#1 | Posted: 6 Dec 2022 06:35
Stumbled upon the following exchange in Pamela Hill's "The Malvie Inheritance". This occurs after the maid, Mary, drops and breaks a crock.

"I had intended offering you a choice between the price of the crock, and a sound whipping, Mary," she said. "Now you will be whipped in any case."

"Yes, ma’am." There was no need to say any more. All mistresses beat their maids sooner or later; she was lucky it hadn’t happened sooner, and that this old girl wouldn’t surely have as much strength in her arms as matron, or Gammer or the rest. She thought of Morven, her lover; and made a bargain with her own soul. If it was a choice between not having to be whipped, and never having set eyes on Mr. Morven Doon, she’d choose, any time, to be chastised with scorpions. Odd how Holy Writ kept recurring. Mrs. Retford meantime had risen and had gone to her rod-cupboard.

"Prepare yourself," she said coldly.

Afterwards, she remembered to ask for the fourpence. Livia fled, scarlet-faced, upstairs to get it; Lord, the old woman had more strength in her than you’d think! But the singing dark bird wasn’t killed; she could feel it soaring, still, in her own breast, and afterwards, when she’d handed over the money and gone down, with a burning backside, to get on with her work…

Annabel whispered. "Oh, Mary, did it hurt? She hurts me sometimes…"

She put the clinging arms gently aside and said, stoically, "It wasn’t bad; I’ve known worse. Don’t get yourself in trouble, miss, for me…."

Hope you find this amusing...

Tired

Geoffrey
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 7 Dec 2022 18:07
How about dairy maids? I have recently read a very entertaining (and educational) book called A Cheesemongers's History of the British Isles by Ned Palmer. We learn, amongst much more, that the dairy maid, generally a young woman would be in charge of the cheesemaking, a delicate task, which if not done perfectly, would result in less than perfect (or disastrous) cheese.

The author then informs us that a dairy maid who got it wrong would, at some farms, be subjected to corporal punishment.

Of course most cheese making is now done in creameries and larger establishments. Pity the poor farmer, deprived of his occasional entertainments.

Geoffrey.

Tiredny
Male Author

USA
#3 | Posted: 7 Dec 2022 20:27
Good point on the dairy maids, Geoffrey. The link below has a drawing titled "managing the maid" and from the setting I'm guessing London?

Managing the Maid

Online now: Members - 0 : Guests - 9
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9