LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

What is your story length preference

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»
Lonewulf
Male Member

USA
#1 | Posted: 2 Jul 2020 17:37
As a reader, I'm prone to long winded tales. That said, not tales that drone on an on, saying a lot about nothing much, in general. Obviously, being entertaining during that long winded exposition is critical to continued reading, but how long is long?

According to one source:
Micro fiction = 500 words
Flash fiction = between 500 to 1000 words (but up to 1500)
Short story = up to 7500 words (but up to 10,000)
Novelettes = between 7500 up to 15,000 words (but up to 20,000) or around 100 pages
Novellas = 15,000 up to 40,000 words (but up to 60,000) or about 100 to 200 pages
Novels = 40,000 plus words (or 60,000 plus)

As a writer, I've never limited myself to a minimum or maximum, and just wrote until I was finished saying what I had to say. (ranging from about 7500 to 15,000 words)

As a reader, I can read any number of chapters, preferring a minimum of around 2,500 up to 15,000 words per chapter. In books, I can/have read 200 page books in a day (depending on available time) but it isn't a race and take my time to savor the tale being told.
That said, intriguing story concepts might trigger my curiosity despite the briefness of word count (but I'll still whinge about shortness).

Alef
Male Author

Norway
#2 | Posted: 2 Jul 2020 17:46
For me, there's a difference between reading from a screen and reading from paper. I am not very fond of reading on a screen, and I must admit I am often reluctant to start reading stories in here that are more than 5-6000 words long. I suppose that puts me in the short story range, although on paper I usually prefer novels to short stories.

Lonewulf
Male Member

USA
#3 | Posted: 2 Jul 2020 18:04
Alef
That's an interesting aspect I didn't touch on; digital opposed to book format.

Much like you, I prefer shorter digital stories, but have read ~15,000 word digital stories (or what I'll call chapters) and as such, can come back to read further chapters another day, but I think that's my limit digitally.

In book form, I've read up 12 novel book series, with around 400-500 pages per book, or on the lesser side, 30+ novella books with around 125 to 150 pages per book. In my youth, I would literally start reading a book at the beginning of a weekend, forego eating and sometimes even sleeping only to finish reading the story in the evening of the last day of my weekend. Bleary eyed, stretching but content, and wondering why I'm famished.

There's something about the smell of the printed page, the binding glues and turning each page that makes reading a book more enjoyable than digital.

kdpierre
Male Author

USA
#4 | Posted: 2 Jul 2020 19:01
"what is your story length preference?"

Haiku.

Just kidding, I really have no preference for length, I am already WAY too fussy over content to start eliminating good selections based on how many words they have.

Glagla
Male Author

Sweden
SUBSCRIBER

#5 | Posted: 2 Jul 2020 23:58
I'm divided here. On the one hand I like long stories with many chapters during which the characters and the plot slowly develop. On the other hand I seldom have time to sit down and properly read such stories. I tend to go for the ones < 7000 words to be honest, no matter what I like. Having it split up in several chapters might work though. Then I can handle longer stories.

ernalones
Male Author

Denmark
#6 | Posted: 4 Jul 2020 20:48
I have no preference of story length. I've read very good stories consisting of one or two pages and very good stories with something between 35000 or 40000 words. Content and not length decides the quality of any story!

ddrysdale
Male Author

USA
#7 | Posted: 4 Jul 2020 21:32
I think there's an interesting side-question regarding digital versus book format, but to answer this question I think my preference is generally shorter rather than longer. I admire people who write long stories, but when it comes to Spank-Fic, 1000-1500 words is about what my brain can handle. As an author, I generally like to get down to business pretty quick too because I believe that MOST readers want to read the "good stuff"; of course, I'll spend some time setting it up and everything, but yeah, shorter rather than longer is my policy. I'll say it again though, I do admire people who spend time writing longer stories. Kudos to them!

Glagla
Male Author

Sweden
SUBSCRIBER

#8 | Posted: 5 Jul 2020 15:44
ddrysdale:
I admire people who write long stories, but when it comes to Spank-Fic, 1000-1500 words is about what my brain can handle

Well, the average length of the submissions here appears to be around 1600 words if you look at the page of statistics, so you're one lucky guy. My average is close to 3000 words. When the story is longer, I try to split it in episodes of between 1500 - 3000 words each, or sometimes up to about 6500 words apiece, since I mostly try to get at least one spanking into the story.

As other have commented, I think we're all different and there's a need for short and catchy as well as long and indepth stories.

Brosse6
Male Author

France
#9 | Posted: 6 Jul 2020 09:43
If it is a contemporary plot with uncomplicated characters then the story can be quite short, and as in reality many spankings are short duration affairs, there is nothing wrong with a -1k word story.

The problem with writing a 50k word spanking novel these days is avoiding repetition and creating a scenario where many spankings can occur in a logical progression.

Many of the spanking classics of previous centuries include descriptive juvenile spankings and excessive non-consensual spankings which are no longer acceptable in modern novels. Mainstream authors are also under pressure to avoid such scenes even when they are historically appropriate to the plot.

mianders
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#10 | Posted: 8 Jul 2020 09:47
If a story is complete and interesting, then I don't mind how long or short it is. Quality in preference to length. I don't like to be bored whatever the length. Pretty much all paper spanking books have gone now, but I would always prefer to read from paper rather than a screen if I had a choice. Will paper spanking books ever return in the way records have?

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»

Online now: Members - 5 : Guests - 14
adrimc88, freewilly, Nobmeister, Smachtai, wooz1111
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9