library of spanking fiction forum
LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Spanks vs. Spankings

Graves94
Male Author

USA
#1 | Posted: 21 May 2019 15:34
I occasionally come across a grammatic usage in a story that I find distracting and I wonder if it is an error or a legitimate difference in language. The issue is this: The person being spanked may be told to count the number of swats. Some writers describe this as counting the number of "spankings", while I would think of it as counting the number of "spanks". If I were to count the number of spankings, it might go as, "Well, there was last night, then last Saturday I was insulting and received a spanking, so that would be two, before that..." (i.e., an entire session would be one spanking consisting of any number of spanks).

shono98
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 21 May 2019 17:41
I agree with how you use the words. I think "spanks" and "swats" are interchangeable

Tiredny
Male Author

USA
#3 | Posted: 21 May 2019 18:21
shono98:
I agree with how you use the words. I think "spanks" and "swats" are interchangeable

That's interesting, Shono. While I also agree with both you and Graves that the plural of spanking (i.e. spankings) refers to more than one (complete) spanking, I don't find "swats" and "spanks" interchangeable. I usually associate "swats" with an instrument like a paddle or hairbrush. Whereas "spanks", to me anyhow, typically referrers to open hand.

The closest synonyms to "spanks" in my mind would be "smacks" and or possibly "slaps".

I have further used all three of the above to signify the sound occuring immediately after the landing of blow especially on a bare behind. Something like... ***SMACK*** ***SLAP***

ALL three to a certain extent exhibit the property of onomatopoeia.

lvancisic1
Female Author

USA
#4 | Posted: 21 May 2019 20:59
I think swats can refer to either a flat instrument or a hand (which is also pretty flt).

yankee
Male Member

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#5 | Posted: 22 May 2019 01:33
I believe that " counting" should never be used. It presents limits to the spankee and spanker The spanker should be in control. The spanking should end when the spanker determines it is over.

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#6 | Posted: 22 May 2019 11:16
I'd agree with shono and Ivancisic - for me the words 'spanks' and 'swats' are synonymous, and can refer equally to hand-spanks or those given with a implement.

yankee:
I believe that " counting" should never be used. It presents limits to the spankee and spanker The spanker should be in control. The spanking should end when the spanker determines it is over.

Not quite sure how this fits into the thread - but yes, totally agree. I find all that "One, thank you Sir - may I have another?" stuff just corny and tedious.

kdpierre
Male Author

USA
#7 | Posted: 22 May 2019 22:06
Graves94:
I occasionally come across a grammatic usage in a story that I find distracting and I wonder if it is an error or a legitimate difference in language. The issue is this: The person being spanked may be told to count the number of swats. Some writers describe this as counting the number of "spankings", while I would think of it as counting the number of "spanks". If I were to count the number of spankings, it might go as, "Well, there was last night, then last Saturday I was insulting and received a spanking, so that would be two, before that..." (i.e., an entire session would be one spanking consisting of any number of spanks).

I have noticed the same thing on occasion and agree with you completely. I have no idea where it came from but it is probably some regional thing like "needs washed" as opposed to "needs to be washed" or "needs washing". (another common phrasing that drives me crazy)

Online now: Members - 10 : Guests - 6
Biokinton, Geoffrey, ldbill, njrick, ogard, parboldpilot, ProBandit, ReginaVictory, SinclairMP, TheRealMrT
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9