LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

EU copyright directive

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 14 Feb 2019 15:14
For those that follow such things, you'll probably be aware of the latest idiocy being proposed by the clueless, meddling bureaucrats at the EU. An accurate assessment of it has been provided by Mike Masnick over at Techdirt:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20190213/12071341588/eu-moves-forward-with-agreemen t-to-fundamentally-change-internet-open-to-closed.shtml

Should it come to fruition it will have extremely far-reaching consequences for millions of sites including the LSF.

I've no idea whether it will do any good or not given the EU's propensity to reject compromise but there is a petition about it here:

http://change.org/p/european-parliament-stop-the-censorship-machinery-save-the-intern et

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 15 Feb 2019 03:43
I signed the petition and "chipped in." Will it matter that I don't live anywhere in the EU?

What impact would the legislation have on sites published in the US? Can LSF be published here (isn't the host server here in Texas or someplace?)

kerrsutherland
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#3 | Posted: 15 Feb 2019 04:25
When I can, I will chip in. I'm getting really tired of suits destroying the good things in life due to their greed and paranoia.

BashfulBob
Male Author

Ireland
SUBSCRIBER

#4 | Posted: 15 Feb 2019 11:13
Any attempt to regulate the freedom of the internet is a matter for concern and should probably be resisted as a matter of course. However, and I may be missing something, reading Mike Masnick's assessment in the link, it seems to me that the EU is attempting to curb copyright abuses rather than necessarily censor content. Thus, whilst the likes of YouTube, Facebook and Tumblr have much to be concerned about, I do not see how LSF would be too seriously affected. Apart from the odd link in the Forum, LSF publishes original material rather than republishing copyrighted material, and the fact that the LSF is a moderated site would surely satisfy the 'doing everything in your power' requirements. However, the fact that Februs (who I trust implicitly) is concerned is enough to make me concerned. So I for one would therefore welcome any further light that readers can shed on this matter.

(As an aside, I would be more concerned about Article 11. If one cannot republish copyrighted news from legitimate sources, it is only going to contribute to people just making it up - i.e. even more fake news - whilst what is or is not released as legitimate news will be even more tightly controlled by a few conglomerates).

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#5 | Posted: 15 Feb 2019 14:23
Hopefully, our only real exposure would be in regards to the forum where we'd be personally liable for any material or link that was considered a copyright violation.

BashfulBob:
it seems to me that the EU is attempting to curb copyright abuses rather than necessarily censor content.

The EU may be attempting to curb copyright abuses but the nett effect of their directive as it stands will certainly be to censor content for the reasons described in Masnick's article. The situation here is not dissimilar to the recent GDPR fiasco where the EU simply don't understand what they're doing (apart from meddling and being dictatorial) and aren't amenable to discussion about anything.

BashfulBob:
the LSF is a moderated site would surely satisfy the 'doing everything in your power' requirements.

The forum is only moderated in the sense of making changes after the event if we find something that is problematic. These days we have less time to keep checking what is being posted. I probably could consider modifying the forum software so that every post has to be approved prior to being displayed but that's not something I'd want to do. Terms like "doing everything in your power" and phrases such as "best endeavours" are often used in contracts and are a nightmare to interpret.

I thought this quote from Wired (my highlighting) pretty much summed up the situation:

Almost everyone agrees the rules enshrined by Article 13 risk being applied too broadly. An attempt to prevent illegal copyright infringement on big platforms, put in the hands of bureaucrats and suits that don't understand the digital world, might become a blunt instrument that could stifle the remix culture of the internet.

Online now: Members - 8 : Guests - 8
Briedel, Darrendarren, Felix34, Pogogacy, Reader85, Seegee, Siergiej345, tease
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9