The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Which spanking cliches drive you crazy

Page  Page 15 of 15: «« 1 2 3  ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
bdsmfan
Male Member

USA
#141 | Posted: 8 Oct 2019 03:22
chandra
I'm 100% with you on this. Don't know why but it just does something.

JessicaK
Female Author

Canada
#142 | Posted: 8 Oct 2019 04:34
kdpierre:
But, one day Joe Blow gets promoted. Same guy, same talents, same personality......but now he's a lieutenant. And NOW he magically rates being addressed as 'sir'. Lunacy.

Western militaries derive from a tradition in which officers were landed gentry at minimum, and enlisted were not. Americans seldom get that the distinction and related courtesies, stem from a society in which officers were nobility. That is btw why the Americans were the first to make a four year degree a prerequisite for commissioning: their caste system is based on schooling, and only indirectly on descent.

So it doesn't need to make sense, any more than curtseying to Eugenie York but not a commoner with vastly more intellect and accomplishment makes sense; it's an artefact of a different culture. Do you worry about whether it makes sense that some cultures have shrines to dead relatives in corners of the home, and it matters intensely *which* corners? If you treat the military as a fascinating but markedly different culture, it might not drive you as crazy. That's how I live with it, anyway. *drinks quietly*

ckpollman
Male Member

USA
#143 | Posted: 8 Oct 2019 13:37
kdpierre
A professional military is a separate and distinct society. It has its rules and customs developed over centuries of armed combat. Remember, an army must take thousands of conscripted young men and turn them into a disciplined fighting force. The military has developed techniques that work. Just accept it. You will never completely understand it even if you serve. Chicken shit is a military term.

kdpierre
Male Author

USA
#144 | Posted: 8 Oct 2019 13:55
To JessicaK & ckpollman:

THERE you go! Now those are answers that I can accept and all I really wanted anyone to admit, essentially 'no it doesn't really make sense but it is a tradition and technique within a certain arena.' That is much easier to accept than someone trying to explain why it does make some kind of sense. Thanks.

(True story: my step-daughter just joined the US Army about a month ago........as a dental student. The person swearing her in joked, "after me being in the army for ten years, in a few minutes you will outrank me." I told her she should have replied, "yes, but the only orders I will be giving are 'open wider'.")

Page  Page 15 of 15: «« 1 2 3  ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Online now: Members - 6 : Guests - 9
brodiejlb, demonhunter, freewilly, Ree, salexa, waladom
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9