LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Authentic English school cane at the V&A

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 9 May 2017 23:53
Anyone who wants to see a real 'six of the best' English school cane can visit London's Victoria and Albert Museum, which is currently hosting a Pink Floyd exhibition. Among the exhibits on display is a crook-handled bamboo cane which, so we're told, was used on the bottoms of two members of the group, Roger Waters and Roger 'Syd' Barrett, when they were pupils at Cambridgeshire High School for Boys back in the late '50s.

Ah, those were the days...

TheEnglishMaster
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 10 May 2017 00:05
Thanks for the heads-up - definitely want to see this exhibition. But did someone really seek out their old Headmaster (or his heirs) and procure the actual cane?? It seems improbable!

Still...those were indeed the days (days which clearly inspired parts of The Wall).

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#3 | Posted: 10 May 2017 09:49
TheEnglishMaster:
But did someone really seek out their old Headmaster (or his heirs) and procure the actual cane?? It seems improbable!

It does, doesn't it? But that's what the V&A are claiming. They also have the punishment book in which these canings - and presumably quite a few others - were recorded.

Perry
Male Member

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#4 | Posted: 11 May 2017 07:52
I saw a UK Antiques Road Show recently; it was in a scottish location. An old lady, ex schoolmistress, brought her old tawse. She also had the paperwork from the maker. When she purchased it, she had to send in details of her own stature so that exactly the right instrument could be made for her.

mobile_carrot
Male Author

England
#5 | Posted: 11 May 2017 21:03
I wonder if that was the one I saw a while ago?

Most of the audience were middle-aged Scottish ladies and when the tawse was displayed they all knew what it was and some rueful murmurings ensued.

Perry
Male Member

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#6 | Posted: 12 May 2017 04:18
Hello Carrot,I wonder if that was the one I saw a while ago?

Most of the audience were middle-aged Scottish ladies and when the tawse was displayed they all knew what it was and some rueful murmurings ensued.

That sounds right.

RosieCheeks
Female Member

England
#7 | Posted: 12 May 2017 22:41
BBC report of Pink Floyd cane at the V&A.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-39003687

Online now: Members - 8 : Guests - 8
cayenne, Geoffrey, JohnStevens, lucy123, MorningBob, mrjpayne, ncmtnspanker, retired8
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9