Corporal Punishment story on NPR

Page  Page 2 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»
thepreacherswife
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#11 | Posted: 20 Apr 2017 17:09
Burgundy:
I don't know... Aren't you guys getting tired of being the only remaining developed country in the world that still allows corporal punishment in schools? (Except for a handful of private schools in Australia, yes I know...)

Alongside this anachronism, you also have the most skilled researchers in the world, who are the people producing a lot of the research that unanimously agrees it's a terrible thing. Why don't you want to listen to your own experts? Who everyone in the global research community knows are the best?

You're such a weird place. You have the highest ratio of geniuses in the world, but also the highest ratio of people killed by their own lawnmowers.

But I'm getting off track now. Stop giving school staff the power to hit your children. Do you really trust them that much?

At the risk of falling down the rabbit hole of politics, I think it's part and parcel of the civil religion here in the states (especially the South), which is heavily cloaked in fairly conservative Christian authoritarian tropes. Culture wars, anti-intellectualism, traditionalism, etc. It seems to be on the rise on the continent as well (see LePen's Front National, Wilder's PVV) but seems strongest here (at least to my Yankee eyes).

Burgundy
Female Member

Canada
#12 | Posted: 20 Apr 2017 18:46
thepreacherswife:
At the risk of falling down the rabbit hole of politics,

You make good points about that, but I don't want to fall down that rabbit hole either!
It's just so clear that, without a doubt, outlawing it is in the cards, just based on historical patterns. You've outlawed legal wife-beating. You've outlawed corporal punishment in prisons. Other countries around the world have or are currently outlawing school beatings.

It's gonna happen, at some point. But man, are you guys ever fighting tooth and nail against it with everything you've got. Like, chill out and read the writing on the wall, maybe? Why are you so eager to retain the right to have other people swing a plank of wood at your kid's body? Some of those people will be bozos you shouldn't trust with your laundry.

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#13 | Posted: 20 Apr 2017 19:10
Burgundy:
That principal clearly enjoys it.

He certainly looks like the type anyway, doesn't he?

Bald, middle-aged, stocky and somewhat overweight, a petty bureaucrat with a bland, humorless expression--that's how I'd describe a "paddling principal" in a 'realistic' story about school corporal punishment.

"Power-tripping with a heavy wooden paddle..."

--C.K.

Burgundy
Female Member

Canada
#14 | Posted: 20 Apr 2017 19:26
CrimsonKidCK:
Bald, middle-aged, stocky and somewhat overweight,

Hey, back off - except for middle-aged, you just described my dad (who would never hurt a fly, btw.)

What I said had nothing to do with his physical traits. It was based on his quotes in the article, plus the expression on his face and the way he chose to position himself in the photograph. I don't have any proof; all I have is twenty years of practice assessing the unguarded facial expressions and body language of men who like to spank women, including men who admit it (in bed, I mean, not publicly) and men who are closeted about it.

And that guy? He likes spanking girls. Dunno about boys, can't tell, maybe it's just something he does cause it comes with the job. But I would bet money that he secretly (extremely secretly) gets off on spanking his female students. Nobody has to believe me, you can say "nah, that's impossible, it's just his job" if it makes you feel comfortable. But I know, and now some of you do too.

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#15 | Posted: 20 Apr 2017 19:55
Burgundy:
And that guy? He likes spanking girls. Dunno about boys, can't tell, maybe it's just something he does cause it comes with the job. But I would bet money that he secretly (extremely secretly) gets off on spanking his female students. Nobody has to believe me, you can say "nah, that's impossible, it's just his job" if it makes you feel comfortable. But I know, and now some of you do too.

Oh, I don't doubt that at all, if I had to guess at his feelings I'd basically agree with your speculation.

Thirty years ago, as a public schoolteacher in a large urban district in the Lone Star State (Texas), I had the authority to paddle my (high school) students. There's no doubt in my mind that I would have enjoyed whacking those feminine denim-clad bumcheeks in some manner, which is why I never swung a paddle during my teaching career.

Of course, I already was fully aware of my spankophile tendencies. Even back then I owned some paddles, but they were kept at home and my darling wife was the one who employed them (and still does occasionally)--on my behind exclusively...

--C.K.

thepreacherswife
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#16 | Posted: 20 Apr 2017 19:58
Burgundy:
You've outlawed legal wife-beating. You've outlawed corporal punishment in prisons.

Technically, yes...Meanwhile in many jurisdictions (not coincidentally some of the same ones clinging to school CP) the deck is stacked against an at-risk spouse getting action taken against an abuser, and we've exchanged physical abuse in prisons with mental abuse through the use of segregated housing units (which really appeal to the hard-core "law and order" types).

Burgundy:
It's gonna happen, at some point.

At some point may be in the next 100 years, but I wouldn't bet on it at this point.

Don't forget, we're also stubbornly clinging to capital punishment in many states.

Burgundy
Female Member

Canada
#17 | Posted: 20 Apr 2017 20:39
CrimsonKidCK:
There's no doubt in my mind that I would have enjoyed whacking those feminine denim-clad bumcheeks in some manner, which is why I never swung a paddle during my teaching career.

Thank god you were aware of it and have morals. You are probably a minority in that

thepreacherswife:
At some point may be in the next 100 years, but I wouldn't bet on it at this point.

You might be right, unless some earth-shaking development happens in the corporal punishment community, equivalent to the worldwide child-abuse scandal(s) that rocked the Catholic church. Then again, that's still going on, so...

And oh god please let's not get into psychological torture in prisons...

fooman42
Male Member

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#18 | Posted: 21 Apr 2017 00:37
Goodgulf:

absurd yes, but very common here in the US.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#19 | Posted: 21 Apr 2017 01:29
fooman42:
absurd yes, but very common here in the US.

I'm reminded of the Dickens' quote:
"...the law is an ass..."

mj2001
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#20 | Posted: 22 Apr 2017 05:18
Yep, according to the Principal they do things the "old school way." But at least they call the parents and get permission first, unlike in a lot of situations where parents haven't found out until after the fact and weren't happy about it.

The principal wound up paddling 22 kids last year, so that works out to about a paddling every 2 weeks (assuming a 180 day school year). It's a small school with only 365 students which means about 6% of the students got whacked. The cell phone example seemed extreme; it makes you wonder what other offenses would earn you a date with Mr. Matheson.

It was also interesting that the students got "a few licks." Is that 2 or 6? Judging by the photo of the paddle that would make quite a difference. You also wonder if boys and girls get treated differently.

Page  Page 2 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»

Online now: Members - 6 : Guests - 6
Balor, dund93, flopsybunny, john4, ntytina, slowsong
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9