LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Writing and orientation.

Page  Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 »»
PinkAngel
Female Assistant Librarian

Scotland
#1 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 11:34
I was wondering if people generally stick to writing what they like and/or know most about in terms of orientation?

I have done so far in that I have only written M/F which is within my experience and my preferred reading too.

How much harder is it to write about something that you may know less about? I know there are authors who vary the orientation they write about, so I just wondered how they find it really...

flopsybunny
Female Head Librarian

England
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 13:30
I generally like to read adult M/F stories, and about 3/4 of the stories I write are of that orientation. But I find it interesting now and then to divert from that. It can be fun as I end up with a whole different set of dynamics to suit the particular scenario.

I don't think it's much more difficult, just a bit different and more of a challenge to get my feeble old head round

Looking forward to seeing a new story from you soon Pink

kleestep1959
Female Author

USA
#3 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 13:33
Hey Pink Angel......I for one have tried writing outside what I am comfortable with which like you, is M/F. However, for the readers, I have written a few F/M...trying to remember the fact that it's probably not a whole lot different except for anatomy! LOL (I have administered a few blisterings to the male gender but I'd very much prefer being the one blistered!)

Most of the time I stick to my comfort zone though....I feel my writing is much better.

Katie B.

PinkAngel
Female Assistant Librarian

Scotland
#4 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 13:48
Thanks for your replies you two

flops - I did validate your recent Dominatrix series which I thought was really good. I remember doing a double take when I saw the title as I am used to you writing M/F but it shows that a change every now and then is a good thing

Katie - Again I have validated loads of your work and am used to you writing M/f mostly. I guess we do all have comfort zones, I know I do, and it is good to step outside once in a while

flopsybunny:
Looking forward to seeing a new story from you soon Pink

LOL my trouble is that I got into the habit of writing stories for individual people and now I need to just write them for general consumption. I do have a couple of thoughts and will get round to it at some point. I shall never catch up with you, Katie or Linda though :P

flopsybunny
Female Head Librarian

England
SUBSCRIBER

#5 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 14:04
PinkAngel:
I need to just write them for general consumption.

Glad to hear it pink! And it's an interesting point you make re general consumption. In my opinion (and it may well be wrong! lol) I think you should first and foremost write for yourself. Write what you want to write and not what you think others will want to read. It doesn't matter if it's not topical or if it's unusual (different is good) as if it comes from the heart, so to speak, it will ultimately be more creative.

Now that I've taken this off topic I shall go whack myself with a fish slice as punishment

OWOW OW OW OOOOOOOOH

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#6 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 19:46
It's good to stretch yourself at time.

A few months ago another site opened a "women spanking men" section of their forum I wrote some F/m stories for it. They aren't something that I would usually write, and one was basically taking another poster's "spanked by the new neighbour" theme and retelling, but it was interesting writing them.

The problem is that I'm not overly interested in those stories. I've got a fourth one in that vein on the back burner, but I'm currently focusing on a series of M/f stories that are based on the Amber series (Nine Princes of Amber by RZ). The other story is there and outlined for me to return to it, but this M/f story is holding my interest more.

Goodgulf

rollin
Male Member

USA
#7 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 19:46
As many of you know I write in everything but m/m. My observation is, however, that m/f and f/f outnumber f/m enthusiasts by roughly 4-1 or 5-1. f/m is a distinct minority on this board and really, on any forum that is mixed. My estimate is not scientific by any means and if someone has more accurate numbers I'd like to hear them. As for myself I like both, although for many years I was strictly m/f, f/f. Then I don't know what happened.

cfpub
Male Author

USA
#8 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 21:12
rollin:
My observation is, however, that m/f and f/f outnumber f/m enthusiasts by roughly 4-1 or 5-1. f/m is a distinct minority on this board and really, on any forum that is mixed.

CF's periodic lists of new stories run about 2-2 1/2 to 1 females being spanked to males being spanked and the latter are currently all f/m (a subject for another day). Part of this is probably the propensity of the owner whose own kink runs towards the spanking of the fair sex, it is not clear which is the chicken and which is the egg as a list with mostly women and girls being spanked will tend to attract readers who prefer this particular perversion, however, another part of this is that the consumers of f/m stories are overwhelmingly male, on a board like this with many women members, that limits the consumption of f/m stories. I don't keep track of it, but my seat of the pants feeling is that orders of f/m stories run larger than orders of m/f or f/f, and surely the items which we wholesale to QSM are overwhelmingly f/m and our unfortunately defunct f/m magazine, Men Under Control, had the best sales figures of any of the magazines we tried to foist on an unsuspecting public. Go figure.

Guy
Male Author

USA
#9 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 22:53
PinkAngel:
I know there are authors who vary the orientation they write about, so I just wondered how they find it really...

A few folks have commented that my stories are somewhat varied in orientation, but actually most of them fall neatly into the general category of "domestic discipline". Most somehow come from my life experience or spring from that week's private fantasy.

I don't think I could write (for example) a dominatrix or a homosexual story if I tried, because those lifestyles are simply not within the framework of either my life experiences or my fantasy life. I was raised in a normal home, went to a normal school, and eventually became a normal married person, so that is all that I presently have to bring to my stories; but stay tuned!

Guy

Sarah89
Female Author

USA
#10 | Posted: 20 Jul 2010 02:57
Since I wasn't ever spanked that much, I write what I like (mostly M/M and M/F) instead of what I know. Since I enjoy writing more realistic stories, I do a lot of research, read stories written by others, and talk with people who have the experiences I don't have. Sometimes I question whether I should be writing stories since I don't have much personal experience, but I feel it's okay since I make it a priority to seek advice and critique. And after all, it's just short stories posted online.

I'd like to try writing a F/F or F/M story and have some ideas, but whenever I sit down to write, I always end up writing M/M or M/F. It's just what I enjoy and for what I have more ideas and enthusiasm to write.

Page  Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 »»

Online now: Members - 1 : Guests - 7
Smachtai
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9