LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Need help with Geordie Dialect

Page  Page 2 of 3: «« 1 2 3 »»
blimp
Male Author

England
#11 | Posted: 13 Jul 2010 20:14
I reckon your mother must be quite a character Februs. She reminds me, not of course of my own dear mother, who of course sounded like a member of the Royal Family (not to be confused with the Royle family), but of Biffa Bacon's mum in the pages of Viz.

On a more serious note though, how can anyone drink Newcastle Brown Ale and actually enjoy it? Is it really undrinkable, or am I unable to drink it just because I am a soft, southerner?

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#12 | Posted: 13 Jul 2010 20:29
blimp:
On a more serious note though, how can anyone drink Newcastle Brown Ale and actually enjoy it? Is it really undrinkable, or am I unable to drink it just because I am a soft, southerner?

I agree wholeheartedly, I think the trick is to consume about 12 pints of something else prior to starting on the Newcy Brown.

Gabbs
Female Author

England
#13 | Posted: 13 Jul 2010 21:32
Februs:
I agree wholeheartedly, I think the trick is to consume about 12 pints of something else prior to starting on the Newcy Brown.

Marmite?

blimp
Male Author

England
#14 | Posted: 13 Jul 2010 23:24
You know some fellow once told me that the "aye" in Geordie speech, which they use instead of yes, comes directly from the Old Norse of the Vikings. In fact all along that Eastern coast they say "aye" rather than yes. Well I am sure that no one wanted to know that but I thought I would enlighten you anyway. I have cleverly managed to bore myself almost into a stupor so I am going to take advantage of my zombie like state and have an early night.

Linda
Female Author

Scotland
#15 | Posted: 13 Jul 2010 23:29
blimp:
You know some fellow once told me that the "aye" in Geordie speech, which they use instead of yes

We use that here in Scotland as well. And I think we in Scotland were invaded by the Vikings. (the Battle of Largs?) But I thought the Vikings were more into raping and pillaging than adding to our language?

cfpub
Male Author

USA
#16 | Posted: 14 Jul 2010 01:41
Linda:
"We use that here in Scotland as well. And I think we in Scotland were invaded by the Vikings. (the Battle of Largs?) But I thought the Vikings were more into raping and pillaging than adding to our language?"

Actually, although it is probably more due to Scandinavian settlements in the northern portions of Great Britain, remember the Danelaw, the Scandinavian influence on the English language was immense. Just 3 examples of particular interest are "she", "skirt", and "sister". Imagine the difficulty of writing a MF spanking story without these three lexical items.

twisted8
Male Member

USA
#17 | Posted: 14 Jul 2010 03:04
For a quick history lesson of King Alfreds era (5 minutes tops) try this one; http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kroch/scand/scand-frames.html

And for a quick look at Scanda-hoovian words in English try this; http://www.viking.no/e/england/e-viking_english.htm

I found it interesting that the Scandinavian patriarchy practice of placing 'son of' at the end of surnames is still common in English these days; such as Richard-son.

And last but not least. I knew that I had fallen in with a pack of perverts here. But a pack of intelligent, thoughtful tea drinking ALIEN perverts from the northern outer seas as well? Guess I'll have to brew up some fresh ground coffee and think it over.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#18 | Posted: 14 Jul 2010 13:27
Here's a real live Geordie speaking for your Katie ... unfortunately it doesn't have subtitles ...

flowerchild
Female Author

USA
#19 | Posted: 14 Jul 2010 13:54
I listened to this all the way through, but must admit I only understood about half. Subtitles might be a good idea. lol

kleestep1959
Female Author

USA
#20 | Posted: 14 Jul 2010 22:12
Oh Februs! I absolutely love it!!!! I am going to listen to it again later .......however,I doubt very much if I can copy that wonderful dialect in the story!!! LOL However ......I know all these fabulous readers will forgive me for not being perfect!!!!

Thanks for digging that up!!!

Katie B.

Page  Page 2 of 3: «« 1 2 3 »»

Online now: Members - 6 : Guests - 7
Auntie, Elorac, hunter, rickf, rnr, Steve0958
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9