The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Need help with Geordie Dialect

Page  Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 »»
kleestep1959
Female Author

USA
#1 | Posted: 13 Jul 2010 11:34
Hey!

I am trying to be fairly accurate with the dialect of a character in an upcoming story. If you can help with a few words here and there in the Geordie dialect, please let me know!!! it would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks!!!!!!

Katie B.

Linda
Female Author

Scotland
#2 | Posted: 13 Jul 2010 13:48
You may have found this already, but it's looks pretty good.

http://www.englandsnortheast.co.uk/GeordieDictionary.html

(You ocd is showing again)

blimp
Male Author

England
#3 | Posted: 13 Jul 2010 17:15
If you are a canny lass you might study Aufwiedersein pet DVD's. Pay special attention to Oz's diction. If you cannae unnerstand tha, tha's well ane tha way lass!

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#4 | Posted: 13 Jul 2010 17:28
blimp:
If you are a canny lass you might study Aufwiedersein pet DVD's. Pay special attention to Oz's diction. If you cannae unnerstand tha, tha's well ane tha way lass!

LOL. I also recommended Auf Wiedersehn, Pet to Katie who I believe is familiar with Jimmy Nail. And who's to say he's not on here anyway ..

My advice is simply to add copious amounts of "Why Aye", "Howway" and "Pet" randomly into the dialogue

Gabbs
Female Author

England
#5 | Posted: 13 Jul 2010 18:10
Having consulted a friend I've been reliably informed that if you put the word "man" at the end of everything you'll be OK. I then got a very long history about Earl Grey Tea...

Other recommendations included listening to the following:

Lindisfarne - Fog On The Tyne
Waters of Tyne
Weel May the Keel Row

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#6 | Posted: 13 Jul 2010 19:11
Be careful to make sure you get the Lindisfarne version of Fog On The Tyne though and not the rendition by Gazza.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to write in praise of Twinings Earl Grey tea, I've been trying to educate the Assistant Librarians, P & L, in regards to this matter for quite some time now (and failing miserably).

Linda
Female Author

Scotland
#7 | Posted: 13 Jul 2010 19:21
Februs:
I'd also like to take this opportunity to write in praise of Twinings Earl Grey tea, I've been trying to educate the Assistant Librarians, P & L, in regards to this matter for quite some time now (and failing miserably).

Indeed, and you will continue to fail. Scottish Blend for ever!

blimp
Male Author

England
#8 | Posted: 13 Jul 2010 19:39
Now when you settle down with your Aufwiedersein Pet DVD's beware! Do not on any account drink a cup of Earl Grey as you will start sounding like a southerner. Of course as a southerner meself like I think yer cannae go wrong with Twinings, they make a whole range of excellent teas, including Ceylon which is my personal favourite. A light refreshing brew for all occasions.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#9 | Posted: 13 Jul 2010 19:50
Sound advice from blimp.

I also think if you're going to write Geordie you need to get inside the mindset of your character. The following are therefore recommended:

1. drinking vast quantities of Newcastle Brown Ale on a daily basis.
2. standing outside in sub-zero temperatures wearing a T-shirt or Newcastle United replica strip.
3. placing a packet of fags... no wait that's probably misleading to someone across the pond .. cigarettes under the sleeve of your T-shirt.
4. shouting abuse at Macams (people from Sunderland)

And before anyone says I'm painting a negative stereotype of the Geordie race, I'd just like to point out that I've based all the above on my own mother ...

PinkAngel
Female Assistant Librarian

Scotland
#10 | Posted: 13 Jul 2010 19:58
Februs:
I'd also like to take this opportunity to write in praise of Twinings Earl Grey tea, I've been trying to educate the Assistant Librarians, P & L, in regards to this matter for quite some time now (and failing miserably)

You are utterly beyond hope!! Scottish Blend rocks and you don't know what you are missing

Katie, once you have sussed the Geordie, have a go at some Doric... it is utterly unfathomable!

Ps have a look on you tube for Ant and Dec, they are the epitome of Geordies!

Page  Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 »»

Online now: Members - 5 : Guests - 10
Adam4824, Jason132, Ree, Smoke99, Spankking
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9